DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

My first (probably of many!) posts.. would really appreciate any guidance please.

We're waiting for our new house purchase to complete and planning our next steps. A key thing we'd like to do is build somewhere to park onto our 'garden'. It's a terraced property with a large yard to the rear. Some other houses on the row have a space to park the car in the yard with an electric roller door, accessed from the service lane.

The service lane is higher than the property so we would need to build a pretty deep platform (1.5 metres ish) and then steps down to the back door. (See pics of a similar property, but with less height difference ). We would also need to knock down the wall currently separating the yard from the rear service lane.

Does anyone have any guidance re :

1. whether we will need planning permission?

2. How much this could cost if we got a builder to do it?

3. What sort of building construction might be recommended by a builder?

And if there's anything else you can think of that we might need to consider!

Thanks in advance,

Em

Attachments:
Screenshot_2018-01-16-21-55-58_crop_937x506.jpg
Screenshot_2018-01-16-21-55-58_crop_937x506.jpg [ 312.5 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]
20180117_170900-734x1305.jpg
20180117_170900-734x1305.jpg [ 164.78 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm 

NewDIYer wrote:
we would need to build a pretty deep platform (1.5 metres ish)

And if there's anything else you can think of that we might need to consider!

Em

Even a Smart car is nearly 2.7m long, (and any future buyers of your property may need something much larger).

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm 

Regarding cost, sorry to say but you can not get any specific answer in any forum, not even "ball park" for several reasons.

1) Cost of labour & materials will vary depending on where you are in the country.

2) No one (as yet) has a clue as to what needs be done

3) Rubbish disposal (how much is dug out) is unknown but it will have to be charged for.

Suppose it was said on a forum that you don't need planning permission and later your council said yes you do, will it not be a better idea to ask the council in the first place if you do or do not need pp.

Also if it was said on a forum the job will cost £x and the builder tells you it will be £yy, you can not really say (well you could try :lol: ) "A person on some forum, that has only seen a couple of pictures said it will only be £x, so that is all I will pay"
Once you know about the pp, get s couple of quotes (compare like with like, not like with similar) and then you will know how much the job will cost. :thumbleft:

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Even a Smart car is nearly 2.7m long, (and any future buyers of your property may need something much larger).[/quote]

Thanks for or reply. The 1.5 metres I mean would be the height (from lower level to service lane level). Depth might have been the wrong description.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Regarding cost, sorry to say but you can not get any specific answer in any forum, not even "ball park" for several reasons.

1) Cost of labour & materials will vary depending on where you are in the country.

2) No one (as yet) has a clue as to what needs be done

3) Rubbish disposal (how much is dug out) is unknown but it will have to be charged for.

Suppose it was said on a forum that you don't need planning permission and later your council said yes you do, will it not be a better idea to ask the council in the first place if you do or do not need pp.

Also if it was said on a forum the job will cost £x and the builder tells you it will be £yy, you can not really say (well you could try :lol: ) "A person on some forum, that has only seen a couple of pictures said it will only be £x, so that is all I will pay"
Once you know about the pp, get s couple of quotes (compare like with like, not like with similar) and then you will know how much the job will cost. :thumbleft:

Thanks. I understand it seems a little vague. I suppose I'm trying to see if it's possible and if it might be a 10,000 or more type job. I will be getting some quotes once we move in, just trying to suss out what we do first.

Can concrete (depending on base material etc) be poured to a depth of 1.5 metres or might it need building up in other ways?

Em

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 pm 
Pro Carpenter

in general it must drain onto your land via a soakawway or your land
not onto the public highway or into the public sewers and drains on your land

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 am 

NewDIYer wrote:
Can concrete (depending on base material etc) be poured to a depth of 1.5 metres or might it need building up in other ways?

Em

Are you thinking of casting one huge 1.5m x however long and wide solid block of concrete? I don't think there's anything that stops that much being cast in one go as such ( as in the volume , I'm sure someone else might have a definite answer) but it would need some pretty substantial shuttering. It would also be very expensive to do that way and would be an absolute nightmare to remove if you ever want to. The sheer weight of that much concrete in one place would impose problems on the subsoils and you may need to dig down a considerable distance to counter potential subsidence.
Forming a retaining wall in either brick or concrete and infilling with hardcore and topping off with either concrete or paving would be cheaper ,easier and would frankly look better. I'd also look at the possibility of using beams rather than hardcore to form a void underneath , could make it into useful storage space.

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 am 

Useless fact. 1 cubic metre of concrete weighs almost 2.5 tonnes. (And that is without a car parked on top)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received thanks - 2: Grendel, NewDIYer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 am 

big-all wrote:

Really? Where I live every one runs their surface water and gutter water into the public drains.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
big-all wrote:

Really? Where I live every one runs their surface water and gutter water into the public drains.

What I learnt here in the past is ... gutter water is expected to run in the sewers (you pay rates or for a water meter and that takes account of your waste water). However, public sewers were never designed to take surface water from gardens etc. People may put the water out but it is another story it is done by the book.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm 
Pro Carpenter

rules are are not retrospective so what was allowed 10 years ago wont always be allowed now
Quote:
I’m considering a new patio or driveway.

In order to avoid increasing flood risk elsewhere, it is preferable for these to be sloped towards permeable ground or to be made of pervious materials. Pervious materials include both porous materials (eg. as reinforced grass or gravel, porous concrete or porous asphalt) and permeable materials (eg. clay bricks or concrete blocks, designed to allow water to flow through joints or voids). As well as minimising environmental impact, this avoids the cost of drainage.

Surface water from hardstandings must not be allowed to run onto the highway, where it could lead to accidents or cause a nuisance.

Where it is impractical to drain onto pervious ground or use a pervious paving, it is preferable to keep the extra surface water on site, in order to avoid increasing flood risk elsewhere. This can be achieved by using a soakaway or some other way of allowing it to soak into the ground (referred to as infiltration).

Approved Document H gives advice on sizing soakaways. Where it is impractical to use infiltration (eg. because of nearby foundations, impermeable or contaminated ground, or high groundwater), it is preferable to discharge it to a watercourse or, failing this, to a surface water sewer or, as a last resort, to a combined sewer. Surface water must not be discharged into a foul drain or sewer.

approved document H
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... document-h

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : NewDIYer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am 

someone-else wrote:
Useless fact. 1 cubic metre of concrete weighs almost 2.5 tonnes.

That fact might have been very useful when I first started work. As an apprentice I ended up shuttering for quite a few insitu lintels etc and it was very easy to underestimate the weight or force that wet concrete can exert. Still it does force one to learn quickly. Never actually had one collapse but when the first one bowed and distorted the next was much better propped and supported.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 am 

I stand corrected, glad all our drains were fitted years ago then :lol:

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : big-all
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 am 

The way I would do it - build a supporting wall in brick or block - infill with hard core, top that with 150mm of type 1 (aka road stone), then a 150mm reinforced slab on top or block paving

For this message the author Bob225 has received thanks - 2: Ktuludays, NewDIYer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 am 

On the second photo there looks to be something made of corrugated steel at the end of your proposed parking space . Could you say what that is please , a door perhaps?