DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:35 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

I want to paint the underside of my car (nearly 20 years old), but think it would be better to deal with any rust before i underseal. I was thinking of removing as much rust as I can, then using a primer / painting before underseal. I read it is bad to just use underseal before dealing with rust, as this can lock moisture in / speed up rot.

What's the quickest way to remove the rust? I was thinking of a wire brush on a drill (for small patches) and an angle grinder brush for larger patches. But I have also read about chemical products which claim to help strip rust away - not sure how much cop they are?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 pm 
Pro Carpenter

all depends on the level off rust
if its surface then chemicals / abrasion should be fine
if its heavy up to holes you may need other actions especially if its a structural component

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 pm 
Troll Headbutter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotive/A ... B003QYUX0Y

For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : Cannyfixit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 pm 

I'd think anyone checking the vehicle for MOT status would look upon such coverage as 'suspicious' as in - what's he trying to hide?

After 20 years and the inevitable rust I don't think applying any form of protection will lengthen the vehicles life to any great extent - if that's your intention - so perhaps you're spending time (certainly money) on something that may be 'pointless' and potentially viewed with suspicion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 am 
Newly registered Member

BillyGoat wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotive/Aquasteel-Rust-Converter-Primer-500-ml/B003QYUX0Y

Thanks man, I may give this a go - it looks amazing stuff. Most of the reviews are really positive. If using this, it will save a lot of time, as I will just use a pressure washer and a quick rub down with a hand wire brush. It even says you don't want to take all the rust off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 am 

My last MOT highlighted a rusty sub frame,It wasn't detrimental to the structure but was told to remove the flacky rust and paint with under seal which I have done,this in my mind wouldn't stop the rusting process but hey I'm not a mot inspector lol
Rust treatments like the one above do work,I have successfully treated small areas around the body work

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 am 

I can remember in the 60's when cars left the factory with nothing other than a blow over primer type paint on the underside they used to rot through in six years. Some people put underseal on the exposed underbody but I recall that even some of these treated cars suffered with water creep under this rubberised paint with the resultant rust.

Modern cars are so much better now as you see plenty of older cars around virtually rust free.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:07 am 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:
I'd think anyone checking the vehicle for MOT status would look upon such coverage as 'suspicious' as in - what's he trying to hide?

Who cares what they think? They have to follow set procedures and are not allowed to fail a vehicle because of underseal / paint. In fact I have read they are only allowed to gently prod an area with a special plastic tool (cant even use a screwdriver) which has been specially authorized for MOT inspections.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am 

Adam32 wrote:
Who cares what they think? They have to follow set procedures and are not allowed to fail a vehicle because of underseal / paint. In fact I have read they are only allowed to gently prod an area with a special plastic tool (cant even use a screwdriver) which has been specially authorized for MOT inspections.

Quite :lol: The usual regard for jobsworths is well placed and I'd take the same attitude if faced with the same questions/suspicions. If your understanding of their 'prodding' (and with a special tool :roll: ) is true then it only illustrates how ridiculous most government diktats really are :lol:

My car failed its MOT due to a tear in a rubber gaiter FFS ::b

Still not sure that the effort of scraping/painting would be worth it though unless it was a classic car or a love-fest for a vehicle you have particular feelings for.

But, then again, I've gone past the stage of being that fond of cars and now use them, abuse them and change them since they are just tools to me. One day (probably not though) I'd get enthusiastic about an age-old favourite and buy one to lovingly restore/fiddle with - as many older guys do with the likes of MG Midgets or those that hanker for a Harley when they're approaching their 50's :lol: (I'm past that age too).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 pm 

I agree with KE on this. You will never stop the rust problems, you'll always be chasing them. You won't to be able to get into every area of the underside and these are the places that collect and trap the water and all corrosive cr@p that's in it! Chances are you'll open a can of worms once you start stripping rust :sad:

Unless it's a resto, I would have a rethink about starting :idea1: (Speaking from experience of having restored/showed a couple of cars :wink:)

SN :occasion5: