DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Hiya Everyone (Hii Dr Nick),

Quick (hahahahahahaha sorry Wes if you are here) review on a recent purchase of the Makita BHP453SH from Screwfix. You may or may not have read this thread here when I started looking for looking for a replacement for my aging Makita 8390D.

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 245.9 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

Now, I'm but a mere DIY'er, but it's fair to say that all of my stuff has had WAY more than average use (multiple property renervations, amoungst other things). The batteries had finally got that bad at holding any form of usable charge, I needed a replacement.

Some cracking suggestions on the other thread, but it boiled down the following:

- I wanted to buy local (FFX would have won out otherwise)
- I wanted two batteries
- It had to be li-ion
- I wanted it there and then (near a Costa Coffee also helped too)

Saw the following deal of Screwfix, and it was in stock near me. I decided I wanted the extra battery, it was half price WBW the body. Total cost - £139.98

Decision made.

Attachment:
0.JPG
0.JPG [ 79 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

So, what do you get Goat?

It came in a practical plastic moulded case, and had enough space for 2 extra batteries. You can tell they it's a standard case made for 3Ah batteries, but when the lid is shut, the 1.3's are held firmly in place.

Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 189.38 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

Open the box and you'll find:

- The drill
- Batteries (remember I brought the extra one)
- Reversible pozi/flat bit
- Charger
- Drill body
- and of course, some destructions which every man will read...... :lol:

Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 235.44 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

The Charger

the charger is chunky but functional. SLIDE the battery on and it gives a satisfying click - it's held in place nice and firm. It requires a press of the yellow release button to take it out, MUCH better than the previous one - I can recall countless times when I had put the battery in to charge and it hadn't sat properly (due to some crap inside) and hadn't charged!

Indicator lights clearly show the status of the battery (flat, charging, 80%, full). It's also got a maintaince mode too, so should you leave the battery in there it's not going to hurt it!

Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 194.26 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

What's the drill like? Get to the good bit......

The Body - get a load of that, pwharrrrrrr!

Attachment:
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 282.37 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

Pleasing to hold, it's got a nice rubber grip that runs up the back. Battery is held firmly in place with no movement (it's new....this may change). Got all the settings you would expect of a combi -hammer, drill, screw with torque settings.

Shape is slightly different to the old one, it's also got a different angle. Feels nice in the hand. Slightly lighter than the 8930D, but there isn't much between the two.

Attachment:
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 251.99 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

Attachment:
7.JPG
7.JPG [ 357.7 KiB | Viewed 11048 times ]

Impressions?

Wow.

I'm not sure if my old one was just pants or if this is a massivly improved model, but it don't half pull it's weight.

Was fitting some 2x4's onto a brick wall using 4" brick screws. Pilot a 4 inch hole through the wood and brick using a number 6 drill bit - didn't have ANY troubles, nothing. With the old one, I often used an electric drill for this and the battery drill to put the screws in. It was always lacking in this department. Don't get me wrong, it would do it, but there was always the wait.....

Quick change of bit and the brick screws went straight in without any hesitation (they are lovely screws...mmmm). :thumbright:

My 8390D was never as smooth, the 453 just has torque the second the trigger is pressed - buckets of it!

It's driven countless plasterboard screws in and been used for some anchor bolts for a satellite dish bracket. Will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts, but it's going to be worked hard this weekend.

It's early days yet though for usage, but I think it's going to serve me well!

Why the 1.3Ah's....bit girly, init?

I'm really glad I went for the 1.3 batteries though. I talked myself into WANTING the 3's initally, but in reality they are almost 3X the size and weight. I just really don't need them. If I was in the trade and needed the extra run time, yes, maybe. They don't give any more power though.....which I've heard lots of times before.

Charge time is 30 mins to 80% - I think this is going to severely impact my tea breaks (with my old one, it was 20 screws and a tea while the battery had a top up :lol:).

Worries/Complaints/Concerns?

Yes. One. During use, it does spark considerably more at the back than any old my previous drills. Hope that's not a sign of bad things to come. Again, will keep an eye on it - it's not far to return should things go wrong.

It's a bit noisy when the trigger is depressed REALLY slightly. It works nicely, but my old one didn't do that.....

Also, it would have been nice to have a work light....but as I've never had one before, I wont' miss it.

Final thoughts.....

Would I reccomend it? Yes, for sure - go buy one now and stop reading this!

Hope that helps....any questions, fire away!

BG :salute:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author BillyGoat has received thanks - 3: big-all, Dickie, Wes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 pm 

Wheres mine? I got this kit mate http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-lxt202 ... pack/30803 got to agree with your review.
Use to be mainly dewalt but makita are leaving them behind IMO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 pm 
Troll Headbutter

transitboy wrote:
Wheres mine? I got this kit mate http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-lxt202 ... pack/30803 got to agree with your review.
Use to be mainly dewalt but makita are leaving them behind IMO

It's in the post TB, did you not get it? Thieving post gits..... :cussing:

I'd have loved the LXT stuff, looks so much nicer....I'd have ate a horse for the white and black stuff. But, I've just brought a ton of stuff, so didn't really have cash laying around for it.

What[s the impact driver like? always wanted one.... don't know why! :lol:

BG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Pro Carpenter

excellent comprehensive review thanks for taking the time to compile it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 pm 

What[s the impact driver like? always wanted one.... don't know why!
they are are a superb mate,just make sure you get the impact bits because it does chews the heads of the ordinary bits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Bet you could screw loads of ANCHORS in with that :lol:

Great review :thumbright:

O, and I am Makita through and through! There just quality IMO. I'm probably using them wrong but every flipping DeWalt I buy, the battery dies within 6 months :sad: Plus I prefer the colour of Makita :lol:

Squeakyfloorsolution.co.uk

>>>>>> Manchester based wood floor installers <<<<<<

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am 

BillyGoat wrote:
What's the impact driver like? always wanted one.... don't know why! :lol:

I have the whizzy 3-speed brushless on (BTD145) - damned expensive, but worth it for me. It weighs a lot less than the drills, it's smaller, the batteries last longer, you can drill with it (OK, so it needs 1/4in Hex drills - I have a set of Hellers from MM) and it'll put in stainless steel screws without pulverising the heads (just turn it down to Low). On the other hand it'll drive #12 x 6in screws into masonry quite happily. Best impact I've ever used/owned. BUT it does need Impaktor bits AND the holder - no half measures, they really do work and are the one bit i know will wear out BEFORE the shatter - well, most of the time

Wes wrote:
There just quality IMO. I'm probably using them wrong but every flipping DeWalt I buy, the battery dies within 6 months

Mine have done circa 2-1/2 years, but beware putting them on charge if they are hot because the charger will add to the strike count on your battery - three strikes and they won't charge any more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 am 
UHM Super Moderator

I told you they feel nice in the hand :wink:

I've had the same drill for three years now but with man sized batteries and apart from the chuck being a bit magoo its been great.

Dropped it nearly two storeys after a buttock clenching ladder moment on Tuesday :sad:

Must've fell right because there's no damage at all its fine :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Quote:
Mine have done circa 2-1/2 years, but beware putting them on charge if they are hot because the charger will add to the strike count on your battery - three strikes and they won't charge any more

That's what I've done...Always throw my batteries on straight from using :roll: Any way of waking them up again J&K?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm 

Wes wrote:
Always throw my batteries on straight from using :roll: Any way of waking them up again J&K?

None. There's a microchip inside the battery pacjk that the charger "marks". three strikes and you're out. First one I did that way was down to drilling massive 150mm holes in an insulaterd roof....... ::b I know better, NOW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm 

For info, I noticed yesterday that B&Q have the BHP453 with 2 x 1.3Ah, charger and carry case for £130.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:28 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Wee Eck wrote:
For info, I noticed yesterday that B&Q have the BHP453 with 2 x 1.3Ah, charger and carry case for £130.

I saw that on their website when I was buying...checked stock and there was none online or the local stores. Might actually be there though, their website is crap!

Well spotted :cheers:

BG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Job and Knock wrote:
Wes wrote:
Always throw my batteries on straight from using :roll: Any way of waking them up again J&K?

None. There's a microchip inside the battery pacjk that the charger "marks". three strikes and you're out. First one I did that way was down to drilling massive 150mm holes in an insulaterd roof....... ::b I know better, NOW

I'm really not a fan of batteries :roll: I'd stick a power cord on everything if I could...I know cordless are really a necessity but grrrrr..

Thanks for the info JK :thumbright:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Wes wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:
Wes wrote:

I'm really not a fan of batteries :roll: I'd stick a power cord on everything if I could...I know cordless are really a necessity but grrrrr..

Thanks for the info JK :thumbright:

I think you could be onto something there Wes.

:scratch: hmmmm.......

mmmmm.........

a battery drill, with a power cord!!!!!

All the benefits of a battery powered tool, but without that pesky problem of them going flat!!!!!!!!

Genius!!

:withstupid:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

You know what...I am onto something. Think of it! A drill that runs by battery for when you need to fling it about for them, you know type of jobs, and then when you need some grunt for say whacking it on hammer and whapping a load of skirting boards in...Hey presto! Plug in the national flipping grid with the toaster lead :thumbright:

I'm gonna put that deposit down on that yacht I've been eyeing up for years :wink: