DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 am
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi there,

I was looking online to try and find out exactly what sizes of screw bit fit what size screw. I bought a load of bit (both pozzi and phillips), they are marked up, PH1, PH2, PH3, PZ1, PZ2 etc etc but what size screws do these relate to? I have used what I felt was the best fit but the bits slips out of the screw head when it gets really tight. I'm guessing i'm using the wrong bit for the wrong screw (or maybe I'm over complicating the issue lol). Anyhow It's a question that is bugging me so I'll throw it to the experts. Many thanks

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:30 pm 

4-6, 6-8, 8-10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:32 pm 

Are you sure you're using the right bit on the matching screw head? Phillips are different to pozidrive even if the diameter is the same.
Even if it is right you need to have good physical strength and good quality bits and screws to be able to do a screw up that is tight. I have had screw heads fly off, screwdrivers round off and screwdriver handles break just from trying to use cheap nasty tools and screws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:13 pm 
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

Phillips
Has slightly rounded corners in the tool recess, and was designed so the driver will slip out, or cam out, under high torque to prevent over-tightening.

Pozidriv
Designed not to slip, or cam out. It does not have the rounded corners that the Phillips screw drive has. Phillips screwdrivers will usually work in Pozidriv screws, but Pozidriv screwdrivers are likely to slip or tear out the screw head when used in Phillips screws. Heads are marked with crossed, single lines at 45 degrees to the cross recess, for identification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:44 pm 
Pro Carpenter

90% off wood screws use pozi2 bits[somtimes called pro now]

imperial no 4 uses a pz1 no6/7/8/10 use pz2 no 12 uses pz3

metric generaly pz2 covers 3mm/3.5/4/4.5/5mm

somtimes even though they are supposed to be pozi [i assume they are cheap chineese copies] a philips bit may fit better but only realy noticable on the smallest sizes

if the screw and bit are matched you can carry them and start the screw on the bit without holding the screw
at minimum the screw shouldnt rock on the bit

if your screwing and the bit makes a machine gun noise then its the wrong bit :wink:

pozi bits are easily recognized as they have small fins between the segments [star within a star]
as do the screw heads with an extra line between the segments drawn on the head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

I would just check that the bits are not worn. I got a cheapo set of bits and had the same issue. They wear very quick especially if you are doing heavy screwing. Funny even on the new cheapo bits I couldn't do the test Al sugggests, (can't carry the screw on the bit) but on a quality bit its no problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

thanks for the reply. No they are defo pozi screws I think the problem lies with the quality of the screw (basically they are a box of 100 from B&Q), the bits I am using aren't top quality either. What I'll do is invest in a good quality set of bits and screws. thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:35 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

You far better going a few decent bits than a a box of crap ones. Problem with the very expensive ones is that is costly if you keep losing them

I have used 2 or 3 of these for about a year and still going strong. Think they could be cheaper elsewhere