DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 pm 

Thinking about getting a nail gun for second fix stuff, architraves, door stops etc. Got a whole house worth to do, plus hobby stuff afterwards...
I already have a pneumatic 18g brad gun and compressor, but i think thats a bit light for that kind of thing...?

I'd love one of the cordless variety, but can't really justify £250+ when realistically I could just bang in a few nails with a hammer (which i already have) :lol:

I see FFX have a silverline one for £50 at the moment.... I wouldn't usually buy silverline, but primarily its for a one off refurb...

Any thoughts?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Old School Chippie

For second fix work you really need a 16ga nailer. If you already have a compressor and you are only doing DIY a bare 16ga gun would seem like a smart move

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : Hitch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Slight move off topic, please treat these with respect, I had a nail take a detour, not from a not just the wood grain, on some decorative lanterns I was making the other day. Straight into my thumb, thankfully only flesh wound and also only thin nail but be warned. As a HS manager on a very large project a little embarrassing too! Needless to say a classic case of do as I say not as I do!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 pm 
Old School Chippie

Just to make you aware - at some point pretty much every joiner using a 2nd fix nailer has had an injury from using it. It's inevitable and to an extent unavoidable, especially considering the amount of pressure guys are put under at times. Interesting that you chose to highlight that risk rather than the far more obvious ones (at least to a pro) of not using safety goggles (and for gas nailers, ear defenders)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 am 

Personally I wouldn't touch "Silverline", I had a "Tacwise & a Bostitch" both good reliable guns, didn't use too much air and very few if any jams, I did, on one occasion manage to nail two fingers together, :cb so be careful. Nos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

ha i was pinning skirtings on the other day. a nail deflected and hit me in the forehead. gave me a fright like haha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm 
Pro Carpenter

fin wrote:
ha i was pinning skirtings on the other day. a nail deflected and hit me in the forehead. gave me a fright like haha

you wear skirting :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 pm 

no man i wear strides man. was skirting on the wall man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Job and Knock wrote:
Just to make you aware - at some point pretty much every joiner using a 2nd fix nailer has had an injury from using it. It's inevitable and to an extent unavoidable, especially considering the amount of pressure guys are put under at times. Interesting that you chose to highlight that risk rather than the far more obvious ones (at least to a pro) of not using safety goggles (and for gas nailers, ear defenders)

I was relaying a real life story not doing a risk assessment, I had hoped it would be found interesting and helpful. As for eye and ear protection you could bang on about that on pretty much any thread on this board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm 
Old School Chippie

Jonno34 wrote:
I was relaying a real life story not doing a risk assessment, I had hoped it would be found interesting and helpful. As for eye and ear protection you could bang on about that on pretty much any thread on this board.

Oh, and I'm not working from real life experience? I habitually wear eye protection when working because I wear spectacles, so my work pair are shatterproof, I also carry a pair of ear plugs round with me (for when things get too noisy) and I wear fingerless gloves most of the time as well. It's called looking after yourself. I expect the guys working for me to do the same as and when needs arise (as do the main contractors). Nailers, grinders and routers are the three tools in my working kit which absolutely demand that level of PPE (as a joiner I don't use tools like breakers that much). The point about PPE needs to be re-iterated because there are simply so many people around who don't understand the need for appropriate PPE with nailers (including some of the more gung-ho trades types I've worked with, who really should know better). As a nurse at A&E pointed out to me many years ago when I was having a piece of grit removed from my eye, "it only takes one piece in the eye to blind you".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Job and Knock wrote:
Jonno34 wrote:

Oh, and I'm not working from real life experience? I habitually wear eye protection when working because I wear spectacles, so my work pair are shatterproof, I also carry a pair of ear plugs round with me (for when things get too noisy) and I wear fingerless gloves most of the time as well. It's called looking after yourself. I expect the guys working for me to do the same as and when needs arise (as do the main contractors). Nailers, grinders and routers are the three tools in my working kit which absolutely demand that level of PPE (as a joiner I don't use tools like breakers that much). The point about PPE needs to be re-iterated because there are simply so many people around who don't understand the need for appropriate PPE with nailers (including some of the more gung-ho trades types I've worked with, who really should know better). As a nurse at A&E pointed out to me many years ago when I was having a piece of grit removed from my eye, "it only takes one piece in the eye to blind you".

Not the point, you stated that it was "interesting I chose to highlight" etc as I said you could bring PPE into just about every thread, I was in fact highlighting the unexpected route of the nail and me being one who should know better. At no point was your own real life experience brought into question. PPE does need frequently re-iterated but is should be remembered it is the last line of defence after all other controls are in place. I shall make no further comment on this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Good just agree to err... agree then. :salute: