DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Visit Thermo worx


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 pm
Posts: 5909
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 337 times
Thinking about getting a nail gun for second fix stuff, architraves, door stops etc. Got a whole house worth to do, plus hobby stuff afterwards...
I already have a pneumatic 18g brad gun and compressor, but i think thats a bit light for that kind of thing...?

I'd love one of the cordless variety, but can't really justify £250+ when realistically I could just bang in a few nails with a hammer (which i already have) :lol:

I see FFX have a silverline one for £50 at the moment.... I wouldn't usually buy silverline, but primarily its for a one off refurb...

Any thoughts?

_________________
Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one?


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 5346
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 1298 times
For second fix work you really need a 16ga nailer. If you already have a compressor and you are only doing DIY a bare 16ga gun would seem like a smart move

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930



For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : Hitch
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:02 pm
Posts: 41
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Slight move off topic, please treat these with respect, I had a nail take a detour, not from a not just the wood grain, on some decorative lanterns I was making the other day. Straight into my thumb, thankfully only flesh wound and also only thin nail but be warned. As a HS manager on a very large project a little embarrassing too! Needless to say a classic case of do as I say not as I do!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 pm 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 5346
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 1298 times
Just to make you aware - at some point pretty much every joiner using a 2nd fix nailer has had an injury from using it. It's inevitable and to an extent unavoidable, especially considering the amount of pressure guys are put under at times. Interesting that you chose to highlight that risk rather than the far more obvious ones (at least to a pro) of not using safety goggles (and for gas nailers, ear defenders)

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm
Posts: 207
Location: France
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 27 times
Personally I wouldn't touch "Silverline", I had a "Tacwise & a Bostitch" both good reliable guns, didn't use too much air and very few if any jams, I did, on one occasion manage to nail two fingers together, :cb so be careful. Nos


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:15 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm
Posts: 6271
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 514 times
ha i was pinning skirtings on the other day. a nail deflected and hit me in the forehead. gave me a fright like haha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm 
Offline
Pro Carpenter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 19836
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 644 times
Been thanked: 1820 times
fin wrote:
ha i was pinning skirtings on the other day. a nail deflected and hit me in the forehead. gave me a fright like haha

you wear skirting :shock:

_________________
we are all ------------------still learning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm
Posts: 6271
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 514 times
no man i wear strides man. was skirting on the wall man


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:02 pm
Posts: 41
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Job and Knock wrote:
Just to make you aware - at some point pretty much every joiner using a 2nd fix nailer has had an injury from using it. It's inevitable and to an extent unavoidable, especially considering the amount of pressure guys are put under at times. Interesting that you chose to highlight that risk rather than the far more obvious ones (at least to a pro) of not using safety goggles (and for gas nailers, ear defenders)



I was relaying a real life story not doing a risk assessment, I had hoped it would be found interesting and helpful. As for eye and ear protection you could bang on about that on pretty much any thread on this board.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 5346
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 1298 times
Jonno34 wrote:
I was relaying a real life story not doing a risk assessment, I had hoped it would be found interesting and helpful. As for eye and ear protection you could bang on about that on pretty much any thread on this board.

Oh, and I'm not working from real life experience? I habitually wear eye protection when working because I wear spectacles, so my work pair are shatterproof, I also carry a pair of ear plugs round with me (for when things get too noisy) and I wear fingerless gloves most of the time as well. It's called looking after yourself. I expect the guys working for me to do the same as and when needs arise (as do the main contractors). Nailers, grinders and routers are the three tools in my working kit which absolutely demand that level of PPE (as a joiner I don't use tools like breakers that much). The point about PPE needs to be re-iterated because there are simply so many people around who don't understand the need for appropriate PPE with nailers (including some of the more gung-ho trades types I've worked with, who really should know better). As a nurse at A&E pointed out to me many years ago when I was having a piece of grit removed from my eye, "it only takes one piece in the eye to blind you".

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:02 pm
Posts: 41
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Job and Knock wrote:
Jonno34 wrote:
I was relaying a real life story not doing a risk assessment, I had hoped it would be found interesting and helpful. As for eye and ear protection you could bang on about that on pretty much any thread on this board.

Oh, and I'm not working from real life experience? I habitually wear eye protection when working because I wear spectacles, so my work pair are shatterproof, I also carry a pair of ear plugs round with me (for when things get too noisy) and I wear fingerless gloves most of the time as well. It's called looking after yourself. I expect the guys working for me to do the same as and when needs arise (as do the main contractors). Nailers, grinders and routers are the three tools in my working kit which absolutely demand that level of PPE (as a joiner I don't use tools like breakers that much). The point about PPE needs to be re-iterated because there are simply so many people around who don't understand the need for appropriate PPE with nailers (including some of the more gung-ho trades types I've worked with, who really should know better). As a nurse at A&E pointed out to me many years ago when I was having a piece of grit removed from my eye, "it only takes one piece in the eye to blind you".



Not the point, you stated that it was "interesting I chose to highlight" etc as I said you could bring PPE into just about every thread, I was in fact highlighting the unexpected route of the nail and me being one who should know better. At no point was your own real life experience brought into question. PPE does need frequently re-iterated but is should be remembered it is the last line of defence after all other controls are in place. I shall make no further comment on this thread.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power nail guns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
UHM Super Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:54 pm
Posts: 3517
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 554 times
Good just agree to err... agree then. :salute:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO