DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: power lead on a hoover
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 pm 

hi guys I have a numatic hoover I use for my work , the power lead that's on it is really stiff no flexability in it at all and in this weather its hard to wind it up , are there more flexible leads out there I can change it for
thanks peter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm 

The cable that springs to mind is called "Arctic" its flexible down to -40 The only problem is Arctic blue (Arctic yellow is meant for 110V) is 1.5mm* CSA where as the cable on your cleaner is probably 0.5mm* CSA (3 times smaller) so yes you could change it, but you wouldn't get much inside the cleaner. (Unlike the 20+ feet you do now)
You can get Arctic black, but even that at 0.75mm* CSA is twice as big as the cable you have.

:sign7: Daft that it sounds, You could always buy a reel of Arctic flex and make an extension lead from it. But to ensure the vacuum cleaner cable never over heats (It can if its coiled up) you should cut the plug off the lead and refit it about 1m from the cleaner. That way you would never over heat its cable and the Arctic flex lead would always be flexible.

* I have no idea what the outside diameter of the cables are, but 1.5mm Arctic flex sure is big

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : DIY_Johnny
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 pm 

ok thank you for the reply , not sure if you know my machine its not like the henrys , it doesn't have the lead coiled up inside , grey in colour with numatic on the front , the lead is so stiff atm its twisted as well so cant really uncoil it properly either , so hence my Q to see if I can change it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 am 

There was a cable called butel designed really for heat but the rubber used is more flexible than plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am 

yes plastic sums it up , after someone elses reply I might just cut it off at about 8ft , I always use an extension reel anyway as I valet for a living , so never plugged into a wall. didn't think of that , so ill try that 1st I think see if its a better set up before renewing it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 am 

We use a big numatic red vacuum at work and the cable is plugged into the top but with a cable grip to stop it being pulled out, so you most likely can get a replacement lead if yours is just old and knackered, but I do find it a pain to move it between locations as the lead always falls down so an extension lead would be better.

Maybe using a connector like this will be better than a normal plug extension socket while you are doing it?

You can get rubber cable at TLC if you follow Erics suggestion,

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_Rubber/index.html?ad_position=1o2&source=adwords&ad_id=215404711629&placement=&kw=rubber%20flexible%20cable&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcWBzBiAcB15dzG1HcC5BUxkboKKqvHDQgXIbrP2AgziC8aBSUeA3RRoCgw8QAvD_BwE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am 

ok , thanks guys ive just cut the plug off and re fitted it on about 8 ft , so most of the twisted stuff is gone , ill see how it goes on my next job , all itll be is the extension from the customers house will be nearer the vac , but as the old one was so badly twisted probably be the same

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm 

Fishpond cable? That's mains cable deigned to go outside for fountains and water features. It,s a sort of rubbery texteure, but quite tough, and about 0.75 sq mmm(7-10 amps?) and 3 core if required.Sold by the yard/metre in Aquatic shops/garden centres.
You used to be able to get ribbed cable, for irons and hoovers etc. The ribs were supposed to stop the cable kinking.