DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

We have two identical basins with two identical pop-up waste stoppers (from B&Q, tut!)

One works absolutely fine, but the other gets stuck almost every other time you use it (to the point now where we never put it down, but my girlfriend just forgot about it, put it down, and it took almost half an hour with lots of WD40 and a knife to get it back up again!)

If I take the O ring off, it mostly goes up and down okay, I think part of the problem is that after taking a knife to it so many times, it's lost it's shape and whilst before lots of WD40 etc it did get stuck a lot, it now mostly gets stuck because of the O ring?

Is it okay to use a sink without the O ring? Or should I get another? Or is the problem something else I've overlooked? (even without the O ring, it's not as clicky as the one that actually works!)

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:49 am 

These click pop ups never have a long life. I had one and it drove me mad and I chucked it and use a chained plug instead. The only ones that seem to work are the lever operated ones.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : blizeH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ah I see, thank you... that's a shame, I'm thinking maybe the spinny/flip ones? Although I wouldn't have a clue how to fit something like that :/

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372014}/categories%3C{9372035}/categories%3C{9372172}/categories%3C{9392018}/specificationsProductType=basin_wastes___bottle_traps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm 

blizeH easy enough to fit...

Though to give you an idea how much "certain" stores inflate their prices, have a look at this page.. (about a third of the way down)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbin ... d20/sd2907

And you'll get free delivery if you spend over £10.. :wink:

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : blizeH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Oh, wow! That's a great price! I think I got mine originally half price so somewhere more in line with that but not only is that still cheaper, I bet it's a lot better quality than B&Q too!

Easy enough to fit sounds good to me as well, thank you - think I'll put in an order :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:16 pm 

If you do have any problems fitting it (you shouldn't) you know where we all are...

Oh and as aside if your basin has an overflow (Not all do) you'll need the slotted waste, if not the other..

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : blizeH

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]