DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: PlumbingIssues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:15 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello All,

First post :cheers:

I have a number of issues with my heating and hot water so I'll try my best to describe what's going on - i have no doubt they are all linked.

About 1 month ago when it started getting cold (based in Scotland) we noticed that one of our radiators (out of 7 in the house) was cold at the bottom and hot at the top.
So i done some googling and found out that it could be a build up of sludge - so i turned off the TRV and Lockshield and drained the radiator, took the radiator outside and ran alot of water through it each way for 5-10 mins each until it was running clear.
I then put the radiator back on and turned the lockshield and TRV back on and it started leaking at the TRV side (turns out i had unsettled the reducer that connects the 15mm to 10mm pipe). So I drained the system using the valve thats situated outside the house.
The plumber came round and fixed the reducer, filled the system back up and then removed any trapped air in the radiators. Turned the heating on and watched it get to 70-odd degrees and made sure they were all hot.
A couple of days later i checked the pressure on the system and it was sitting at 2 bar, and ive always had it at 1.5 bar, so to play it safe and stick to what i know, I drained water out of 1 radiator via the air valve at the top (there was no air coming out, just water) until the pressure was sitting at 1.5 again.
Since I have done that i have noticed that this radiator is now cold at the bottom and hot at the top (same as the first radiator) and the first radiator is now back to being cold at the bottom and hot at the top!!!.

I have also noticed that the electric shower is now colder than what it was a few months ago, and that if i open up the hot water tap on the bath fully its barely luke-warm, but if i only open it a quarter turn and reduce the flow its boiling - why is this?

Also, our boiler is alot louder than what it used to be as well, it was nearly silent but since the systems been drained and refilled and i have drained the water from the radiator via the air valve, the boiler almost sounds like its struggling.

Any advice on things to try would be appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: PlumbingIssues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 am 

Assuming you have a combi boiler then you will always get cooler hot water in the winter, the water from the street is considerably colder. Same with the electric shower.

To make it hot you slow the flow down through the tap, thereby keeping the water in the shower or combi longer so it can hest it more.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : duncanDIY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am 
Newly registered Member

Ah ok, seem's so simple that you have explained it!

Any ideas on the radiators being cold at the bottom and hot at the top? Only 2 of 7 are like this.

1 of them is the first radiator from the combi boiler and the other is either last or 2nd last from the boiler.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm 

Usually caused by lack of flow through the radiators or sludge in the bottom of the radiator.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:38 pm 

regards the radiator issue sounds like sludge so might need a good flush and or sentinel x 800 adding followed by a flush followed by a dose of x 100 inhibitor...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 pm 

We had our CH flushed, it was amazing how much Sludge was in the rads.

I am thinking (may be wrong) but since you flushed one rad, water whizzes faster through it and pushes the next lot of sludge into the next rad.

I would suggest you take them all off and flush them all. Turn them upside down and hit them to diss-lodge stuck sludge

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

Thanks everybody for your responses.

I have put some cleaner into the system on Friday and it says to leave it for 1 week and keep using the heating as normal, I'll drain it this friday and check the colour of the water and then make a decision on whether or not to take each individual radiator off.

If needs be I'll hire a flusher from HSS and get it done.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]