DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I have a balcolny that looks out onto our communal garden. Everyone else has a little latch put in to open out onto the grass. Ours has been painted over. My dad managed to free to top two bolts but i am left to finish the job myself and dont know how to do it!

I have a tool box and some dw40. ill attach some pics. I just want to be able to open it out or take it off for now, ill sort the gate part later.

Attachments:
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG [ 46.38 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG [ 42.21 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG [ 45.4 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:57 pm 

It is hard to see from your photos just what is holding it. You say your Dad has taken off the top two bolts, does it now feel loose then?
Although is that a cable-tie I see on the bottom rail?
If so, perhaps cut it

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 pm 

Is there an existing gate which won't currently open or are you trying to make a gate out of one of the sections of the metalwork?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:15 pm 

Looks like a flat head countersunk screw (countersunk head bolt) holding the bottom....

There is a lug welded to the post that sits just below the part with the cable tie on it....

That will have been done one of two ways, chances are there is a nut right underneath the lug, probably need a 17mm spanner for it..but check you use a spanner that is the best fit.... spray it with WD40 , then slacken the nut off if possible. It will be easier to undo the nut from the screw, than it will be to undo the screw from the nut. You may need to pull the corner of the green matting back or scrape away some of the gravel on the outside. Hopefully, that is the way it is done.

The other way it may have been done, is the lug welded to the post may have a thread cut into it (tapped) so it acts as a nut for the screw. If this is the case, you just need to unscrew the screw(turning anticlockwise) Use the biggest screwdriver that fits in it, just below the handle some screwdrivers have a place to use a spanner, that wil give you a bit more torque(turning power)
It may well help to scrape the slot, and around the edges of the screw clean of paint and spay some WD40 onto it.
If you have a suitable screwdriver, put it in the slot and give it a few good taps with a hammer first before you try and turn it.

The other side looks to just have the remainder of a wall plug poking into the hole thats stopping it moving. Get the one with the post out, then it should come free with a little push and pull by the looks of it.

If either of them don't work, next option is to drill the head off of it. Centre punch right in the middle of the head Start with a large drill around 7-8mm for the first mm depth or two, (this avaoids a small bit snagging in the screwdriver slot, then swap to about a 4mm bit, drill as deep as you can, then go for a 10-11mm, that will drill the head right off the bolt, then the panel will be free.

With regards to making it into a gate, that looks really simple.... cut off the bit where its fixed to the wall, round off the ends of the flat bar where its attached to the post, then replace using bolts, washers and nylock nuts, they will act as hinges.
All you need then is a catch.

If you are any where near me, (Somerset) i'll come and do it for you :lol: