DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi. We want to put up a clothes airer in the ceiling. The flat is in a terrace from 1890s with Victorian styling and with a conversion bay window extension.
We want to put the airer right about the point in the ceiling where the bay window begins.

I'm assuming the ceiling is not drywall? Is it plaster over laths?
I'm assuming too that there will be joists running side to side.
Can a descent standard stud finder help me find the joists?

I'm also guessing the walls are plaster over laths. Any recommendations for anchors and any other thoughts are appreciated.

The airer hangs off two pulleys. There is another pulley for the rope next to the wall, then a tie off shoe on the wall to secure the rope. Weight is maximum 50lbs.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Voxer   Chats.png
Voxer Chats.png [ 338.7 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]
bay.png
bay.png [ 807.23 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 pm 

kellyllek wrote:
I'm assuming the ceiling is not drywall? Is it plaster over laths?

Have a look and find out. It might be plaster over brick.

kellyllek wrote:
Can a descent standard stud finder help me find the joists?

No such thing as a decent stud finder, the owner of this website did a review of them, waste of money, others didn't believe him, got one and......wasted their money.

You can find joists by tapping the ceiling and listening for the difference in sound. Or you can go upstairs and see which way the floor boards go, as they will be at 90 degrees to the joists. (You can also look to see where the nails are, as they will be nailed into the joists)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm 

the ceiling will be plaster lath if original or board if refurbished. it wont be brick.
pre drill plaster lath if you go through it or it will split an crack plaster.
the joists often run "cantilever" like straight into the bay, not side to side.
sometimes this was done to stop joist pockets in party walls transmiting sound.
but sometimes they changed joist direction at each floor.

use a school compass point to stab into the ceiling where you think the joist is but be aware of cables, dont stab deep. a cheap non contact voltage detector is a good bit of kit.

drying clothes in the flat could give youcondensation problems. condenser dryers work well if you leave a kit window open an the kit door shutwhen you use them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 am 

wes56 wrote:
the ceiling will be plaster lath if original or board if refurbished. it wont be brick.

:oops: I see what you think I was thinking. No obviously the ceiling is not made of brick, that was in reference to

kellyllek wrote:
I'm also guessing the walls are plaster over laths.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am 

A friend asked me recently if I have a stud finder. Sort of I said and produced a little ( about an inch long x half thick) rare earth magnet which I proceeded to move around the ceiling , after the tapping technique , finding the fixings. Works to find nails or screws and to be honest I've only once used a proper stud finder which pretty mixed results.
As to the question , at that age it should be lathe and plaster although as stated it could have been renovated and replaced by plasterboard. Another possibility is that it's original lathe and plaster that has been overboarded , fairly common practice , saves a lot of mess but does increase the thickness of that ceiling meaning longer fixings will be needed. A few small test drill holes wouldn't be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks all for the great information. We're finally getting to the project today. We're take our time and suss things out; pretty sure we'll have to make a run to the hardware store for various things.

Funny i have lots of rare earth magnets for a different project but forgot to bring them today! I ended up with a stud finder too that it meant to be able penetrate deep and see various things,, but I've taken your sage words into account.

I'll let you know how it goes :hello2:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 am 
Newly registered Member

So we got one airer installed! But...

I tired everything.. Rare earth magnets, stud finder, tapping a thousand ways and event trying tone and listening apps! Then drilled a big hole and put a hanger wire up there.... it was a typically thick ceiling and even with little holes there was so much dust! I'm sure if it was insulation or what but it was impossible to figure anything poking around with the hanger. so finally resorted to tapping nail holes everywhere.

I had read somewhere that most joists went front to back in the house... but from staring at the ceiling so much and looking for slight imperfections I was convinced they went sided to side (we didn't have access above to look at floorboards). Turned out it was actually front to back! But as I hammered the nails in I could sense when they hit something. problem was when I got near the joists they'd hit a spongy area and the nail would bounce back. I was worried I was hitting wires... I had to hammer through that spongy part. That sponginess overlapped the joists so I still had to tap a bunch nail holes in to find and centre to the joists.

So first one is done! but if I were doing it again I'd go with the nail holes right away and have more confidence. I think with the short nail it's highly unlikely I'd hit a pipe or wire. The studfinder did haphazardly sense metal and wire and I think the only thing it could tell me is if I might want to be extra careful...

as far as the nail holes go, and with them being far away in the ceiling and the finish be a textured white; one hit of polyfilla and you've no idea they were there.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and I'll keep you informed on the next one!

Attachment:
media-20180122.png
media-20180122.png [ 910.3 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]