DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:45 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi - i am unsure as to how to plaster board and then plaster around the window recess up to the new pvc windows - can anyone advise? I also have a few gaps between boards, usually approx 1-2cm but the odd one has approx 4cm gap. I also have a few damaged areas or board which have crumbled - i have researched and read that you can bond fill or use expanding foam but i wanted to ask on here to get a professional opinion.

I have attached pics which should help show my problems.

Attachments:
File comment: board damage & gaps to fill
board damage.jpg
board damage.jpg [ 40.22 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]
File comment: window recess
window4.jpg
window4.jpg [ 44.31 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]
window 3.jpg
window 3.jpg [ 44.2 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]
window2.jpg
window2.jpg [ 42.84 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]
window1.jpg
window1.jpg [ 50.18 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dont window fitters just love expanding foam ::b.

Wilma you should be able to fill the gaps in pic 1 with a product called easy fill that will give you the option to sand it and get a smooth finish.

Looking at the rest i think you need a plasterer to be honest :roll:

If you want to have a go yourself try thinking about getting hold of a pvc strip to go between the 2 windows in pic 2 (poor show from the fitters they should have done this anyway)

Same with the top and sides of pic 3 you can gripfill (no-nails) the strips on to cover the foam.

Pic 4 you need a plasterer as far as i can see in that case get one that can do all the making up.
Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm 

that expanding foam is the stuff that reduces the traffic noise and insulates the edge...
the batton and board method including thin cellotex is one way round it from a plasterers point of view but heres another one from a window fitters or conservationists point of view...
measure the distance from the window face to the inside edge of the plaster... maybe around 150mm or so...
obtain some planed softwood this size or bigger and plane it to suit at around 3/4 of an inch thick, enough to do the two sides and the head...
cut a window board 200mm wider than the existing opening (to allow for the architrave) and 25mm deeper than the softwood...
cut the head peice of the softwood almost the width of the existing opening..
cut the side pieces the height of the window from the top of the cill to the top of the window...
round off the ends of the window board with a block plane and sandpaper...
THEN cut the corners out to fit in the gap so it extends past the plaster line (easier trust me, and it wont split the back of when you plane it)
screw the assembly together, head piece on top, side pieces the width of the window apart and the same distance at the window board...
fix into the hole flat against the window using 2 fixings in the head and 2 in the window board, packing the window board to suit...
FILL THE GAP WITH EXPANDING FOAM!! dont argue!! just dont go mad with the foam...
then archtrave back to the plaster on the timber face using whatever size achi suits the job best... run some 4" skirting up it if need be...

presto... box sash stylie window to suit the house and all youve got to do is fill the gap under the window board...

its called 'reveal lining', trick use by window fitters in plastic which looks crap but was origionally borrowed from the joiners which looks great done correctly....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:40 pm 

p.s. if the distance from the window to the wall is 130mm or less then a 5 1/4" door liner easily obtainable from any builders merchants is perfect...

especially if the window is around 890 wide.. :wink: