DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:09 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plasma cutter?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 pm 

Hi,

Having just suffered a bad week of dermatitis flare up I'm suddenly feeling much better this morning so have been pottering around in the workshop tidying up and moving machinery around. As I stated this bandsaw as bought left a lot to be desired as to how it was set up (?). The motor was very loose and the tin belt guard was also very loose rubbing on the pulleys. This morning I've spent a bit of time sorting these two simple problems out; the guard was only secured at one point the second point was beneath a pulley and the countersunk set screw which was meant to nip the guard down was nipped down very tightly but free of the guard; the screw had a cross slot which had been stripped so no problem for me; I just used an hammer and sharp cold chisel to gently tap the head of the screw rotating it freeing it allowing its removal; a cheese head set screw and washer soon sorted this out but of course I had to remove both pulleys for access; with the belt back on and the pulleys perfectly aligned; the motor was adjusted for belt tension and the bandsaw is now brilliant being very quiet indeed. I've not yet cut any metal using the bandsaw but I've found it a home where I can use it at will as seen in the pictures below. Spending the extra money I'm sure will be a good investment for long service rather than buying one of the much cheaper band-saws.

I'll invest in a couple of new blades from the company you recommend Hitch then hopefully my arms can have a rest from using the hacksaw. The advertisement stated this bandsaw has only been used once; I'm not surprised it worked at all given how it was set up?

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
DSCN2693.JPG
DSCN2693.JPG [ 203.4 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN2694.JPG
DSCN2694.JPG [ 181.03 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN2695.JPG
DSCN2695.JPG [ 184.33 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:13 pm 

That looks like a really good piece of kit. Can't understand people who buy a piece of kit and then don't at least give it a quick once over before use.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:32 pm 

Hi,

Thanks Dave54; I couldn't agree with you more. The bandsaw still retains the thick rust protection from the factory and there is no sign of it ever being used so the seller must have only cut a bit of conduit then thought the bandsaw must be a load of rubbish and has now sold it on at a loss? It wasn't at all difficult to sort out the tin belt guard and motor adjustment; I've just been doing another job in the workshop and noticed at a glance even the rear roller guides are set at maximum retraction; it's possible the seller tried using the bandsaw straight out of the box without even the simplest of checks to ensure everything was tight; I'm happy to own it and it's slotted in nicely; I'm sure we'll get along well together for many years to come. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
DSCN2701.JPG
DSCN2701.JPG [ 187.64 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 am 

Hi,

Many thanks guys for all your replies and a special huge thank you to Hitch who kindly suggested the model of bandsaw I've now bought and like; also as recommended by Hitch I've now bought three new bands from Tuffsaws; two for my Wilmac wood bandsaw and a top quality band for the new metal bandsaw.

http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=3_6_59

I'm unfamiliar with buying metal cutting bands as it's something I've very rarely done so those like me who are interested the above site will prove very useful to know courtesy of Hitch. The M42 1/2" bi-metal band I've bought will last up to ten times longer than a normal band so the extra cost really doesn't come into it. I bought the 6/10 vari-tooth band at £16 which will be a good starter for the type of metal I generally cut this being mild steel angle and box section.

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Hitch