DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I am at a very early stage of planning a Kitchen extension at some point this year or maybe early next year but need some input from you guys in relation to an existing manhole that will clash with the new extension foundations. This manhole is shared with my neighbour .

Theres two things I'd like to know which will put my mind at ease;

1. Would it be possible to move the manhole further out in the garden and build over the existing one, if so how can I approach this?

2. It appears my neighbours builders when they built their extension 15-20 years ago connected a 100mm pipe thorugh the brick enclosure of the manhole. This pipe enters the manhole probably 300mm - 400mm from the top of the manhole cover, the pipe is then connected to a down pipe to stop the water just dropping into the manhole. The invert level of the manhole is approx 1m. I can see this being a problem, is there anything i can do about this?

For me to go ahead with this extension I need to build over it to make it worth while. I've uploaded some pictures to give you an idea.

https://ibb.co/ir0sDb

https://ibb.co/cWdetb

I haven't yet involved an architect but I will do at some point in the next couple months. Just woundered what your thoughts are on my situation.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes you can move the manhole further down into the garden, you will need to connect back onto the main sewer as the council wont allow you to connect from the new manhole to the old manhole back into the sewer. You will need to get a Thames build over agreement in place which needs to show how you will connect to the main sewer. I have moved a number of manholes on projects before, the last property we did the builder moved it to back of the garden and installed a plastic manhole bought from selco.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Also bear in mind your foundations cant closer than 600mm to the sewer line, so you most likely will have to bridge over the sewer or cantilever over the sewer dependant on your set up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advise guys much appreciated. I'll be discussing this with the Architect soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I took a picture of the manhole today to make my post abit clearer. You can see from the photo where my neighbour some years ago decided to connect into my manhole with permission from my house previous owners. As you can see It's no where near the invert level. The pipe that comes in from the right hand side is mine so that's not an issue as this pipe will be redundent when I come to build the extension. Is this still a show stopper and how can I overcome this without digging up my neighbours garden.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/SPPZd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm 

That's not a issue for a builder with good knowledge

1. You will need a build over agreement with your water supplier, if the house is pre 1936 the sewer will be mapped cost is around £300-350 - https://developers.thameswater.co.uk/-/ ... -notes.pdf

2. Talk to your neighbours, communication is key, it looks like you are going to building up to the boundary if so you will need a party wall agreement in place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Bob225 wrote:
That's not a issue for a builder with good knowledge

1. You will need a build over agreement with your water supplier, if the house is pre 1936 the sewer will be mapped cost is around £300-350 - https://developers.thameswater.co.uk/-/ ... -notes.pdf

2. Talk to your neighbours, communication is key, it looks like you are going to building up to the boundary if so you will need a party wall agreement in place

Thanks Bob for the tips, much appreciated .