DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:59 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Planes...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 am 

Rorschach wrote:
No problems with the frog side of the mouth it seems, just narrow in general, when the blade is out enough to take a cut there is hardly any room for the chip.

I had to file the back of the throat off on all three of my Stanleys, two Smoothers and a Jack- when I'd finished, the angle matched the angle that the frog makes as it leaves the sole plate (on the casting it's usually much steeper) and also meant that the frog had to be moved back (about 3-4mm from memory) this will open up the throat and leave more room at the front.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:18 am 

ayjay wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
No problems with the frog side of the mouth it seems, just narrow in general, when the blade is out enough to take a cut there is hardly any room for the chip.

I had to file the back of the throat off on all three of my Stanleys, two Smoothers and a Jack- when I'd finished, the angle matched the angle that the frog makes as it leaves the sole plate (on the casting it's usually much steeper) and also meant that the frog had to be moved back (about 3-4mm from memory) this will open up the throat and leave more room at the front.

Ok I'll take another look when I get chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

I've never had a plane yet that didn't need a lot of fettling! Unless you've won the Lottey and can spend £100+ on a Veritas or Lie-Nielsen plane, then I reckon fettling is required. YouTube has lots of good videos about how to sort hand planes, from smoothing the sole to sharpening the blade.

However, excellent replacement blades can easily obtained. E.g. Ron Hock blades are superb, which you can obtain in the UK from ClassicHandTools.com. Quangsheng are excellent too.

Last edited by Fancy_Dan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

Fancy_Dan wrote:
I've never had a plane yet that didn't need a lot of fettling! Unless you're spending upwards of £100+ on a Veritas or Lie-Nielsen plane, then I reckon fettling is required

Tried a Wood River, Quangsheng or von Berger (from Bill's Tools in Glasgow)? They still require fairly minimal fettling, many are under the £100 figure and they are streets away from Silverline or Draper (or for that matter modern Record) in terms of accuracy and finish. BTW, when I started using planes professionally more than 40 years ago a small amount bof fettling was still required.... One thing, though, is that if you want a good, slop-free blade adjuster, you still need to go Clifton (remember them? British!), Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. Nothing else is ever as good -m even a 50 year old Stanley or Record

Fancy_Dan wrote:
excellent replacement blades can easily obtained. E.g. Ron Hock blades are superb, which you can obtain in the UK from ClassicHandTools.com

Why buy American when you can buy British? Ray Iles (one of Ashley Iles' sons) makes excellent quality O1 carbon steel blades in the UK, available from Workshop Heaven (amongst others). Every bit as good as Ron's products. Unlike Hock irons they have the more familar bevel top style we are all used to, so they look better, too (well, I hink so). Ray makes irons (for bench planes) in standard thickness (which will fit directly into any bench plane without modification) and in a thicker version (which will require the mouth to be eased with a file). Clifton "Victor" brand irons (also made in Britain, in Sheffield) are uniquely hand forged and are another top blade, with better edge characteristics than Veritas carbon steel blades, IMHO. Available from Workshop Heaven, Classic Hand Tools, Axminster, etc. For a cheapie, but nonetheless reasonable blade, you could always buy one of the Quangsheng blades - OK, so they are Chinese, and thicker than standard irons (so you need to open the mouth a bit) but they are pretty decent irons, being made from T10 tool steel (quite similar to our O1) and do hold an edge quite well - far better than any modern Stanley or Record I've used

For this message the author Job and Knock has received thanks - 2: Fancy_Dan, getthewheelsinline