DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:20 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pinhole radiator leak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I recently took a radiator off the bedroom wall to redecorate. When i put the radiator back on the wall it had developed a small pinhole leak in the center of the radiator at the bottom. It is an old system and old radiator.

I know that leaks like this are often caused by sludge/rust and air in the system which is probably true in this case. I will flush the system out and add a relevant cleaning chemical.

Just wondering if there is anyway i can repair the existing radiator with the small leak or do i have to completely replace the radiator?

Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm 
Pro Carpenter

nope you need another radiator as there will be rust all over the place thinning the metal and this is just the first off many holes to apear

if you radiator is imperial in length then your metric will be shorter and require the use off adjustable tails
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15531/Plu ... ompression

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:59 pm 

You should also be wary of using chemicals etc on an old system, as you may find quite a few more leaks.

A cold flush is all I would recommend, and then add the inhibitor after you test.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm 

Keep an eye on the other rads, as quite often, but not always, when one pin holes there will be others :cb

www.drlgas.co.uk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]