DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Time zone: Europe/London



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 am
Posts: 1
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi Guys,

Got a quick question that may not be too quick.
We are planning a large extension comprising a 2 storey side extension and single storey rear extension.

The problem we have is where we are planning to build out the side there are two large drains running parallel to the existing side wall of the house. One is 2.1m away from our existing wall and at a depth of aprox 2-2.5m. The other is 3.8m away from our existing wall and at a depth of aprox 3-3.5m.

our extension has planning approval to be 3.6m wide out the side, this is the max we can go as we originally applied for more and the council refused it as it was "not subservient to the existing house".

We are dealing with the water board regarding the build over agreement and they have stated that if we dig a trench it has to be 600mm away from the drain at a depth of 2m and further if deeper to allow for a 45° loading issue.

If we pile the foundations they have stated that the piles need to be 1.5m away from the drains.

Obviously we cant come closer to the existing house as there is another drain there. But could we do some kind of cantilever piled foundation to bridge over the drains on the outside and then not build on the foundation itself but rather on some type of raft foundation supported by the piles. The water board suggested a trench fill cantilever foundation initially but our structural engineer squashed this as unsuitable quite quickly. unfortunately our SE is away at the moment so we cant discuss this with him.

Any solutions (Short of diverting the drain) would be appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:55 am 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 pm
Posts: 700
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 182 times
The foundation that you are proposing needs to be designed by a structural engineer employed for this purpose.
Give him the Water Board criteria and leave the rest to him. He will come up with the most economical Foundation design, piled or otherwise!
Looking at what the Water Board are asking for it seems pretty straight forward and feasible to me.


Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group