DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:19 pm
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
I'm on the lookout for a used van 4 or 5 years old.

I've been looking at Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partners and notice that the latter is the more affordable option.

Both are extremely popular, 1.6 turbo diesel engine in either 75 or 90 bhp and exactly same body shape.

Is there something superior about the Berlingo that's reflected in the extra cost?



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Posts: 37
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 4 times
both Citroen and Peugeot are owned by PSA and they are both the same vans with the same engines etc but just a different badge on the grill and rear doors

PSA used to use Citroen for testing new tech on cars but not sure if they still do, you would need to check specs of both to see. this maybe a reason that the Citroen vans are more money due to having a better spec than the Peugeot ones.

really comes down to what you want to pay and the specs you want. your best bet would be to go out to have a look and test drive a few of them before making your mind up.



For this message the author Rossl1985 has received gratitude : fitzy
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Rossl1985 wrote:
both Citroen and Peugeot are owned by PSA and they are both the same vans with the same engines etc but just a different badge on the grill and rear doors

PSA used to use Citroen for testing new tech on cars but not sure if they still do, you would need to check specs of both to see. this maybe a reason that the Citroen vans are more money due to having a better spec than the Peugeot ones.

really comes down to what you want to pay and the specs you want. your best bet would be to go out to have a look and test drive a few of them before making your mind up.
Thanks for that. I'm not too fussed about spec really. As long as there are no reliability issues I'm happy.

I had a citroen Berlingo from new back in 2006. It was the 2.0hdi that they did back then and it was a great little van - very lively

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:16 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7622
Has thanked: 376 times
Been thanked: 1369 times
I liked my Berlingo, (a 1.9D with the higher load capacity) it's a reasonable van, albeit with French electrics which are not the most reliable in my experience, I've driven a few Peugeots, (but not vans) and owned a 405 estate for a while which was a really nice estate car.

I had the misfortune to take two trips yesterday in a Hospital Transport vehicle, in both cases it was a small Peugeot, probably a Partner. It was adapted to take a wheelchair in the back and had two fairly rudimentary seats just forward of the wheelchair position. I can honestly say that sat in one of those was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had, I'm not convinced that either of the vans actually had any working suspension.

The ride home wasn't enhanced by the 4.5 hour wait for it, but that's another story for another day.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 am 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
ayjay wrote:
I liked my Berlingo, (a 1.9D with the higher load capacity) it's a reasonable van, albeit with French electrics which are not the most reliable in my experience, I've driven a few Peugeots, (but not vans) and owned a 405 estate for a while which was a really nice estate car.

I had the misfortune to take two trips yesterday in a Hospital Transport vehicle, in both cases it was a small Peugeot, probably a Partner. It was adapted to take a wheelchair in the back and had two fairly rudimentary seats just forward of the wheelchair position. I can honestly say that sat in one of those was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had, I'm not convinced that either of the vans actually had any working suspension.

The ride home wasn't enhanced by the 4.5 hour wait for it, but that's another story for another day.
Mixed experiences with French electrics and Peugeot.

I also had a 405, a 1.9 litre STDT which had everything electrical. Electric loom ended up needing replacing after it died one night in traffic. Garage said I was lucky it hadn't set on fire.

The other Peugeot car I owned was a 306 estate which was absolutely problem free.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Posts: 7921
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 1637 times
I always think there is a risk with the electrics on French cars, especially when they get on a bit. The diesel engines are quite good though but again the later models are all controlled by an electric fuel delivery system. I have always liked Ford and the Transit small vans seem to be pretty good buy. I think there is an element of risk in anything you buy though.

DWD

_________________
Painting with BIN



For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : fitzy
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am 
Online
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3433
Has thanked: 1049 times
Been thanked: 975 times
I've got one. A "posh" Peugeot Partner Tepee with the 1.6 hdi 90
Bought because my late MIL couldn't get in and out of a normal car, we liked the vehicle so have kept it.
Looked at Citroen, and was going to buy one new, but delivery was long-ish, sales child was a rude idiot, and we saw a 12 month old Peugeot we fancied.
No real difference between the two AFAIK.
Make sure the engine has had the oil changed regularly, and the right grade of oil used.
Half the 15K oil change interval as well to 7500.
There's a Citroen service bulletin about the oil changes.
It's shown on this page
http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.5.110


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 3128
Has thanked: 809 times
Been thanked: 354 times
I have the Partner van and love it. I always said I'd never buy French as well.

My mate has a Citroen but not the Berlingo. It's the step up from that (can't recall the name). I'm no car expert but they look almost the same van.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 654 times
Been thanked: 738 times
If anyone can be bothered to look it up, I think I picked something within the last 2-4 months, that some Nissans (renault diesel engines at 1.6lt size) were having engine problems. My point being in case it the same engine used in the two vans mentioned above.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 pm 
Online
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3433
Has thanked: 1049 times
Been thanked: 975 times
OchAye wrote:
If anyone can be bothered to look it up, I think I picked something within the last 2-4 months, that some Nissans (renault diesel engines at 1.6lt size) were having engine problems. My point being in case it the same engine used in the two vans mentioned above.

They do mate, that's why you need to check that they've been serviced well as I said above.
If the oil feed to the the turbo goes, then basically it's bye-bye engine.
If the servicing is at all suspect, or the oil has only been changed at 15K, then you need to clean the sump strainer, and inspect / clean some of the oilways.
It's all there online.
The taxi boys love 'em apparently.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Peugeot v Citroen
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2428
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 496 times
Nissan are Renault these days, K9K 1.5 dci are good solid engines when there working, electrical gremlins are a mare, as the fail is a cascade fashion, sensors are a ultra common fail point inc the turbo boost control solenoid last time I looked it was its 12th revision and they still cant get it right

High side pumps do let go between 60-140k miles usually sending swarf through the injectors @ around 1500 psi

Turbos die around 90-120k miles what is usually oil starvation - cheap oil or the lack of maintenance - as there high pressure turbos (16 psi) they let go In spectacular fashion

Cam belts are not a diy job on the k9k as these have to be done to the book

Pug/Citroen are the PSA diesel engines


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO