DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:17 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have been trying to fix my Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI (52 plate) as it won't rev above 2900 rpm and the engine management light (EML) it on. I took the car to a garage & had the codes cleared apart from one that would not clear referring to the "Pre-heating relay circuit spark plugs permanently supplied" which seamed strange as the car starts really well and is a diesel so obviously doesn't have spark plugs. THey then restarted the car and the "Fan assembly low speed control circuit to earth, short circuit to positive, open circuit or actuator malfunction" fault reappeared so I presume this is the issue? I have stripped the cooling fan and found the relay terminals are corroded and one of the wired has come away completely. I have reconnected all items and tested the fan and it seams to work ok now but the EML is still on and it is still in limp home mode. Can anyone help with what might be wrong?

I am a little confused why a faulty fan would cause limp home mode in the first place as the car never over heats and it is a struggle to get the engine hot enough to get the fan to come on in the first place.

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 pm 

The limp home mode can come into effect when the main ECU is missing its power. Power is usually supplied via a relay and this often gets dirty contacts and the fault you get appears.

You 'might' have what's called a dual-relay unit in the engine compartment, possibly adjacent to the glow plug relay, and this is the first place to be looking.

Obviously, getting a full wiring diagram would be the simplest way to diagnose these types of fault but I had a similar fault on a Fiat van and I understand they use the same circuitry across the Pugeot/Fiat/Citroen range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:31 pm 

check the coolant sensor. that controls most sensors