DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Petrol or Diesel?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm 
diesel demon

After the old Skoda took it's final journey a few months ago I have been back to relying on the buses to get back & fore to work, the early start bus leaves at 20 to 6 in the am :cb
Looking on gumtree I spotted a 2l mondeo zetec for £500, I have the suspicion that diesels are going to get hammered shortly so I was back looking for a petrol & this one looked ok for the (not very much) money.
So, we have the car @ £500, £250 would insure it for myself & the mrs (added junior for a laugh & it was almost £1200) but now comes the sticking point, the Octavia was £140 tax for the year as it was diesel, this one is 2l petrol & automatic (getting to the stage when I quite fancy a slushbox) road tax for the year is £300! (need to find out what a manual would cost but I think it's a lot less)
So, back on topic, is it worth getting a petrol or diesel these days?
The daily commute is 18 miles each way, the last 4 cars I have had have been diesels but as I said, I think it is coming where these are going to become a liability.
Still, £300 is a lot of road tax

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Petrol or Diesel?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 pm 

Been looking into a second vehicle for the missus and found that if you aim a little higher (i.e a year later in the model) you find the CO2 figures drop and the tax becomes more acceptable.

There are lots of cheap cars on the market right now - cheap because they are inevitably of the older models and don't quite make the cut for the lower VED brackets.

Adding a few £100 to your shopping bill can save much more over the couple/three years you might keep it for.

Also it may be (guessing) that putting up the tax on existing diesel cars may cause a lot of ructions for the government so they may just limit the increases to new models. They might stick something onto the cost of diesel fuel as an alternative though.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : village idiot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 pm 
diesel demon

kellys_eye wrote:
Been looking into a second vehicle for the missus and found that if you aim a little higher (i.e a year later in the model) you find the CO2 figures drop and the tax becomes more acceptable.

There are lots of cheap cars on the market right now - cheap because they are inevitably of the older models and don't quite make the cut for the lower VED brackets.

Adding a few £100 to your shopping bill can save much more over the couple/three years you might keep it for.

Also it may be (guessing) that putting up the tax on existing diesel cars may cause a lot of ructions for the government so they may just limit the increases to new models. They might stick something onto the cost of diesel fuel as an alternative though.

It looks like I will be relying on the bus for a bit longer

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm 

If it's a mondeo they are great on diesel,cheap for parts but they have a couple of flaws.
The egr valve gets blocked quickly,especially on short journey driving but is one that's easily fixed by blanking it off with a plate that's a few quid.
The second flaw is more expensive,they have a dual mass flywheel that fails,f*ck the starter motor and would be more than the cars worth to fix.
I didn't think a mondeo was as much as 300 quid to tax tbh??

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : village idiot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 pm 
diesel demon

I think the autobox pushes the emissions up a wee bit which puts the tax up by a big bit. We had the previous model in estate body, brilliant car.
I would have a bigger car out of preference and having experience of the quick clear windscreen that is available on fords the Mondeo ticks the box, I just fancied the lazy option of the automatic (or as my dad used to say awtaef##k) gearbox

Sent from my bl00dy phone

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 am 
Troll Headbutter

18 miles isn't a lot when it comes to regens on the DPF for modern diesels, especially if you can't keep a constant decent speed (see manuals for what it needs).

If it was purely choice by way of preference, I'd have diesel 100% of the time. Much prefer the drive, i like the grunt and pull - it's not like you can speed anymore and a cheap remap is always a winner on any turbo diesel!!!

Bg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 am 

They won't hammer existing owners owners of diesels as there would be a public outcry. I think only future owners of diesels may get hammered.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am 
diesel demon

I have heard that in that there London, they are talking about diesel scrappage schemes to get them off the road

Sent from my bl00dy phone

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 am 

I should not worry about the car diesel issues when the road haulage transport system is what is kicking out the most Nox pollution. All cars will be taxed at £140 and above from April with the new road tax rules.

When you are looking at £500 for a car it is really a chuckaway and if you get a year out of it it has been cheap motoring at £41 a month. I would explore a PCP deal on a brand new car like a basic Dacia Sandero. I reckon this would cost around £80 a month for a three/four year period. You would have a three year warranty and they are cheap to run. At the end of the period pitch it in and get a new one. I have been doing this for 20 years now for Mrs D's car and she has just got her latest Hyundai. We started with a Ford Ka which was £140 a month and her latest car is £168 per month which in real terms is cheaper than her first car. This is for the I-10 Premium model which is £11,600 so a £6000 Sandero will be well cheap by comparison.

It is worth a chat with your local dealer which I think is Arnold Clark in Inverness.

Just an idea :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : village idiot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 pm 

The original question was 'petrol or diesel' but that argument is pretty much discounted in terms of mpg (as the fuel costs tends to equal things out). BG's statement to the fact that diesel gives more 'pull' is relevant if you're looking for some 'excitement' in your driving but the average commute makes that pretty much irrelevant - not to mention less fuel efficient :mrgreen:

If it all boils down to cost (and what doesn't these days) then PCP deals are too expensive (a £500 purchase should do you for 2-3 years if you are responsible in its upkeep) but adding up all the expenses and figuring out a running 'cost-per-mile' will show a solution.

We're currently looking for a £30/£0 tax runaround, prepared to pay £1,000 and expect to keep it 3+ years, most of which it'll be parked outside as a deterrent to potential burglars :shock: (being as how we're so isolated). The £1,000 figure came about when we considered the car to be in need of 'new tires, battery, exhaust, brakes and main suspension parts etc which added £500-ish to the base cost of £500 for the car!

Over those 3 years we expect to do 5,000 miles/year in it (absolute maximum) and not have to pay for any repairs/maintenance other than oil/filter and MOT etc and including insurance this worked out to about £700/year - 13.2p/mile.

Compared to our current car (Jeep) at nearly 50p/mile (and that's not taking into account it's purchase price!) that quite a saving BUT still and additional cost for us.

But as a run around 13.2p/mile is very low down on the ownership scale (5,000 miles/year working out at £55/month ALL-IN) it beats the PCP deals by a long shot!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 pm 

As I understand it there will be no £30 tax bands from April. The second year and onwards road tax is £140 for cars up to £40k new.

I take your point that you can get cheap motoring buying older cars but there is an element of risk in having older cars in that labour and spares often make a car uneconomical to repair should they go wrong unless you are resourceful. A PCP deal is clearly a more expensive option but you never have to worry about anything as the warranty covers it all and everyone deserves one new car in their life. The Dacia at £6k must be a cheap bet for a new car but I accept that the cost is a factor to be calculated in this instance. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 pm 

The £140 figure only applies to any NEW car purchased after 2017 (and after the first years 'chunk' of a grand or more :roll: :angryfire: ).

Older cars will still be paying according to their CO2 emissions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm 

Ahh, I did not realise that. Robbing basts.

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
Ahh, I did not realise that. Robbing basts.

DWD

:lol: you say that like you expect something different! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:49 pm 

Hi,

A few years ago petrol engines were bad for the environment and the government wanted us to go the diesel route; now there are so many diesel cars around the government now condemn diesel? Petrol was so bad that diesel cost less; what do we now believe?

I wonder how many railway loco's; buses and wagons etc are running on petrol?

Bron and I bought our first diesel car last July it being our current Yeti which is brilliant. Over 40 years ago I used to own a Land Rover fitted with a BMC 2.2L diesel but since then have always run petrol engined cars. I was concerned at first about buying the Yeti because we cover less than 9,000 miles per year so would this cause filter problems; but when I really thought about it we cover at least one journey every week at over 25 miles each way so this filter problem has never been a problem. Our Yeti is the "Adblue" model and knowing this I bought 5L of Adblue in readiness; last week the Adblue top up warning appeared on the dash stating 1,500 miles still available. The Adblue tank is beneath the boot floor; I tried to use the 5L container of Adblue with its bent filler hose but no chance of topping up unless I wanted to give the boot floor a good bath. I cut the base from a plastic washing up bottle in the hope of using this as a funnel but still no luck; the filler was too far beneath the boot floor; in the end I dug out my proper plastic funnel and plastic jug; it was a slow process but I must have added the best part of 3L of Adblue. By this time I had removed the big heavy spare wheel and plastic compartments within the boot to gain access.

WOW at last this Adblue top up was over and everything put back in the car; now the dash was stating 4,000 miles available so all was well. I drove up the village to the post office but the 4,000 miles wouldn't clear? What a fool I am surely I knew that after topping up the Yeti with Adblue I should have switched on the ignition for at least 30 seconds before starting the engine which then resets everything; well I do this every time I fuel the Yeti or top up the washer bottle or inflate the tyres (NOT). I confess it never occurred to me to consult the Yeti owners manual. Browsing the web I found that it should reset itself after driving a few miles so 20 miles later it was still reading 4,000 miles? Out of curiosity I wondered if I could get the average fuel consumption to display so I played with the steering wheel right hand roller switch and sure enough I could select average fuel consumption which cleared the 4,000 miles message; I had even browsed the Briskoda forum which didn't help hence I'm posting here just for interest and to demonstrate that modern cars cannot be taken for granted even with very basic topping up of fluids.

Diesel engines are much more robust that petrol engines but both diesel and petrol cars are such a huge gamble when buying second hand especially those with a lot of age on their back; the owners of these older cars tend to offload them once they realize the needed repairs outweigh the value of the car so the next owner tends to suffer. Our last secondhand car was in 1990 when we had a VW Beetle; I kept a log of repair costs (DIY) on this Beetle for one year;at the end of the year Bron and I went and bought a brand new 2CV trading in the Beetle; the cost of ownership of both the Beetle and the 2CV balanced; now though we could go out in a new car without every weekend spent repairing the Beetle; we've run brand new cars ever since and these days apart from cleaning the car and checking tyres etc I spend my time on other things than car repairs.

I'm well aware not everyone can afford to buy a new car but sometimes when things go wrong a second hand car costs as much as a new car and with secondhand what will be the next big bill? Cars like a Dacia are cheap even when brand new?

http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/new-sandero/?utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4pseCRffX9YHarIaxr0qfcWnHODE6axKYgbj0-61EZsaAqbF8P8HAQ&CAMPAIGN=google_Local-All-GS-UK-P-Defensive-Sandreo-Main&utm_term=dacia%20sandero&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Local-All-GS-UK-P-Defensive-Sandreo-Main_&ORIGIN=cpc

Just a few thoughts but I ran second hand cars for many years and at a time when I could repair these cars with a handful of spanners; these days second hand cars can prove highly expensive to repair?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : village idiot