DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Penetrating Damp Quandry
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I bought a mid-terrace on a slope last year. It's a Victorian solid brick wall type and the houses are stepped into the slope. I noticed some mould and plaster blowing appearing in the corner of my front room earlier this winter (front of house and right side wall next to 'higher' neighbour) and the skirting boards looked a bit darker in the corner than usual - so off it all came up to around 8" off the floor, as did a few strips of laminate to check out the floor. This corner of the room is around 2' underground from the road outside and grades down to floor level by the time it reaches the other side of the front of the house.

The laminate was in here when we bought the place and there was no evidence of buckling. On peeling up the laminate and chipping the plaster back to the render I noticed that the render was pretty damp - the plaster basically fell off. The back of the skirting had rotted so the damp has clearly been coming in for some considerable time. The floor was also a bit damp but this dried super quick and has stayed dry.

Here's a shot of the corner from this afternoon. If we don't have rain, it's dry - if it rains it takes a few hours to get to the point where you can visibly see it soaking the render. It generally appears in the very corner first and works its way out. Oddly today I got a spot on the neighbours wall (left hand spot as you're looking it it) but that may be capilliary action I guess.

As you can see it's trending to the right across the front of the house (front is right hand wall as you look at it) but as it said it tends to bloom from the very corner. When we've had a lot of rain this whole area soaks.

My question after all that is basically, what can I do? I have access to about 2' of hardstanding at the front of the house before it hits the road. There's no pathway as such so digging down and leveling off below the damp line isn't an option as it would leave a bloody big hole for people to fall in / drive in. It's a very rural area and my lane (slope) is unadopted. Would I be better off externally tanking somehow, or just tanking internally and practically ignoring it? Clearly a standard DPC isn't going to cut it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. I should add that I've tried to remedy this by sealing the hardstanding outside and lower fascia of the house to no avail.

Attachments:
IMG_20190126_154758.jpg
IMG_20190126_154758.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 389 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:52 pm 

Dig down outside and fill with pea shingle/gravel, tank the inner walls and re-plaster.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/