A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:26 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Peeling Paint
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:46 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help / advice for a flat I'm living in at the mo. The bathroom was decorated just before I moved in (about a year ago). The landlord seemed really concerned about condensation in the bathroom (it has no windows only a small extractor fan) so we did all the normal things, opening other windows after showers, wiping the tiles and things down after every shower and we even brought in some moisture absorbing plants. But now some of the paint has started peeling and part of the stucco moulding round the ceiling came off on the last couple of days.

Does anyone know how this kind of thing could happen? Could they have used the wrong paint during the redecorating and is there any way to tell what they've used? Is the moisture somehow getting into the plaster or the adhesive holding the moulding on? And what are any solutions or ways of preventing it from happening again?

Any help or insight at all would be amazing!

Thanks,
Paddy

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Peeling Paint
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 am 

:welcomeuhm:

A photograph or two could help. Anyway, it sounds like a bad paint job where some layer of paint has not adhered to the previous coat of paint. If the preparation of the surface underneath is correct the paint should not bubble or crack or fall off however wet you get it. It could be washed off but not come off in sheets. The reason the plaster coving fell off is most likely also because it was stuck on a layer or paint(?) that could not hold it.

Yes, the moisture will get passed the paint and weaken most a layer of material that is poor. What do you see where the paint has come off? Bare plaster (grey or pinkish in colour) or another paint?

There are paints that will resist better the condensation in a bathroom, and beyond those there are paints that have built in fungicide killers so they can resist mould for longer than an ordinary paint, but as the flat is rented this should not be your problem, esp. if the coving falls off. All in all, if you had mould it would be understandable but for the paint to come off is bad workmanship and/or poor materials.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am 

I agree with OchAye. Don’t let the landlord pass the blame to you for “allowing” too much condensation.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm 

I did not want to overcomplicate matters. If the bathroom has sufficient ventilation etc. & heating, and it got mouldy, then the landlord could blame the tenant (go figure what a court would decide). But if the paint is falling off it is a technical fault on the paint work and the condensation is incidental and unavoidable. e.g. the plaster has not been mistcoated, the walls had distemper, there is a non vinyl(?) cr@p layer of paint and whatever is on it has not adhered and so on.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome :) and honestly thanks so much for all of the responses!

It's tricky to see behind the cracks as such, I don't want to peel any of them to make it appear worse than it is, although I know it'll have to get sorted / redone anyway. Under the coving you can see a faint layer of paint but apparently that hasn't moved in at least the last fifteen years according to our landlord, but mainly it looks like bare plaster. Thankfully there isn't really any mould around the rest of the bathroom, only a little on this wall that has all of the cracks and peels. I've (hopefully) attached a couple of photos so you can see the scale of it.

My other worry is that the landlord said he's going away and will be back on the 5th June, this means the plaster under the coving is surely just going to get worse and worse because will be directly exposed to more moisture. I'm showering down at my gym for now to try and cut it down but my girlfriend can't. Is there anything we could do in the meantime to lessen the exposure of the plaster? Or will it not really make any difference.

Thanks again all!

Paddy

Attachments:
File comment: general cracks and peels
20180522_212500_lowres_02.jpg
20180522_212500_lowres_02.jpg [ 125.84 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
File comment: under the fallen coving 2
20180522_212511_lowres.jpg
20180522_212511_lowres.jpg [ 51.59 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
File comment: under the coving 01
20180522_212511_lowres.jpg
20180522_212511_lowres.jpg [ 51.59 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:47 pm 

There might be a layer of cr@p quality gypsum based product underneath which absorbs condensation and spits off the paint or maybe not. What you certainly got is thick layer(s) of paint. I can't explain why it happens but it will end up needing scraping off ... perhaps a lot more than you see will just come off with a scrapper.

However the coving falling off is no surprise. It had a few drops of whatever adhesive they used some signs of it are left on the ceiling. If you want more information about the coving maybe somebody else can help. I can give a buzz to the moderators to see if they want to suggest for you a better place to take the coving question.

Given the poor quality of the workmanship I would certainly say it is the landlord's problem but IANAL.

:-(