DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Patio level with DPC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

We had a conservatory removed at the back of our house and are planning on replacing it with a patio. However, the concrete slab that was under the conservatory is only about 75mm below the DPC, so by the time we put the paving on it and factor in a fall away from the house, the ground level will end up at best level with the DPC. I know building regs require 150mm below DPC etc, and I've read lots of posts about similar situations but I have several questions if you don't mind.

1. We are planning on installing an ACO drain along the wall of the house. Does it matter if the top of the ACO is only a few mm below the DPC? I'm sure in an ideal world it should be 150mm below. Is there any benefit to installing it lower and then filling in with gravel on top so that it is level with the paving?

2. If we install the ACO, can the paving be higher that both the top of the ACO and the DPC? Need to make sure we have enough height for the fall away from house

3. Is there a machine that could lower the height of the concrete slab by perhaps 20mm in places? It is very uneven and bumpy. Something like one of these? https://www.hss.com/hire/p/htc-gl450-grinder, https://www.hss.com/hire/p/surface-scaler-starwheelelec

Thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Patio level with DPC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

You've answered your own question really, needs to be 150mm below dpc.

Slab needs breaking up, a good sds+ machine will do it whether you hire or buy is up to you. Screwfix do their own brand sds+ machine at about £ 50.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:00 pm 

Had this problem with my own home. The damp had really been put in too low and was only a couple off inches above the patio. Dropping the patio wasn't really an option as that would have involved dropping the whole garden. I cut a trench between the house and patio edged with decent bricks to give me bit more clearance .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Grendel wrote:
Had this problem with my own home. The damp had really been put in too low and was only a couple off inches above the patio. Dropping the patio wasn't really an option as that would have involved dropping the whole garden. I cut a trench between the house and patio edged with decent bricks to give me bit more clearance .

How deep and wide was the trench you cut?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 pm 

It's around five courses below the damp and is around eight inches wide. I had to cut it a little wider to enable me to build a small retaining wall inside the trench . I used some old concrete pavers because I had them and topped it with a brick on the edge sticking up above the patio about three inches. I have planned to put some gravel in the trench to make it look tidy but as yet haven't got round to it.