DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:53 pm 

See this http://bit.ly/1IOEhO link. But it has been done for years. The shutters are very good at holding wires in holes and I have seen many times where a screwdriver opened shutters then wires poked in holes and removing screwdriver released shutters holding wires in place.

I have been on the wrong side trying to argue my case when some one went into a garage in the concrete works and took an extension lead from the garage into the press shed where there is water everywhere. He had found a 13A socket provided for the PLC programmers laptop and used the lead to run a space heater. A fault on the lead gave another guy a shock so automatic as he was taken to hospital for check-up the HSE was informed.

The lead was not on the plant register the mechanic knew if I found it I would impound it. He had it hidden in his locker. However as electrical engineer it was still my fault for not educating not to use or finding the extension lead. In the end the HSE accepted some one had in fact stolen the lead since it was in a private locker and by agreeing to instigate a series of health and safety talks to educate the workers about the problems related in borrowing equipment from office or garage and moving the 13A socket to be inside the panel we avoided prosecution.

But believe me when I say it was a near thing. I had to write out my talk and issue questionnaires to prove the workers understood what I had said. Unfortunately I don't speak or write Welsh so I had to also get it translated to ensure it was understood. All the questionnaires were archived so in the future we could show any worker breaking the rules knew he was breaking rules.

At that time only English and Welsh were used on site but the boss had stated he would employ anyone willing to work even the English. One point I was picked up on was lack of signs in Welsh. The BS7671 does say "appropriate language(s)" and although we can argue that non nationals should be able to read and understand a British language we have to remember Welsh and Gaelic are British as well as English. I think there is still an ongoing case about a visitor from Patagonia who only spoke Welsh. Which of course was not a problem in Wales.

We rarely consider these problems and to be fair most Welsh do understand English but can you see the problem in selling a caravan in Wales where all the instructions should also be in Welsh! All part of inspecting and testing even though I can't read it. I could be putting on a sticker saying "A daft English speaker tested this" for all I know! I am sure you have read about the road sign saying "I am out of my office at the moment I will get back to you as soon as possible" written in Welsh as a translation. Bet that produced a few red faces?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am 
Newly registered Member

There are a lot of myths surrounding PAT testing, especially with regard to offices and domestic equipment. The HSE website has a myths section where it mentions this. See http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.htm

Also ...

Quote:
The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-p ... esting.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Unlocked for Scot-canuck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm 

Gracias Mod2

While bdk is word for word correct.....bdk has taken the article out context by using a single point from a reasonably large Q&A. In reality the point the HSE is making is, that while PAT testing isn't legally required, the employer/service provider has a responsibility to prove that electricity and electrical appliances are safe in the workplace etc.
In service inspection and testing of electrical equipment is the best method to prove your compliance, along with keeping proper records and staff training, which despite not being a legal requirement, builds your case that you were doing your utmost to comply with the law, no records, no evidence in your defence.
Also the testing intervals are "suggested" - Good rule of thumb I was given was if issues are found decrease the time between inspections, if no issues are found 3 inspections in a row, increase the time between tests by a small amount until faults are found.
The C&G 2377 course comes in 2 parts, one for the testing operative and one for someone administering a testing scheme (often the same person) and it gives suggested intervals and best practice along with information on how best to be in compliance with EAWR 1989 and makes it clear that PAT Testing does NOT guarantee compliance, however it is one method of demonstrating compliance.