DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Ive found a few threads on this subject, but none seem to really cover our situation.

My grandparents are unwell and will be moving into our house. Currently we have a large downstairs living room which we would like to convert into a bedroom for them as they are unable to climb stairs. This room will have to have a corridor down one side (1m wide) as it is the only access to the rest of the house due to the layout/internal garage. We will still have another reception room on the ground floor as we have a large conservatory with underfloor heating. The room will be approx. 3.2m by 2.2m. If possible we would prefer not to use a door, as it will make access more difficult for them.

Is this legal in terms of building regulations? We will be renewing our mortgage soon and will require a home report inspection, and are concerned that it may cause problems.

Ive attached a diagram for clarity. The garage has already been converted and is used for an online business which we run from home.

We are in Scotland, not sure whether this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
Room Layout.jpg
Room Layout.jpg [ 38.81 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

Firstly, good on you helping your grandparents in their time of need. A stud wall gives you options to build in a space saving sliding pocket door. I am not sure what the regs are in Scotland but some common sense considerations on fire escapes for them and access issues are something to think about.

Good luck :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : willcoley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

We aren't planning. To separate the room completely if possible, and due to the planned position of the walls and current position of the doors, we feel they will have enough privacy, without expense of easy access. There is a large openable window in the room and will be directly connected to the hall where the front door is so I guess fire escapes won't be a problem?

We are more concerned about using it as a "bedroom" rather than "living room" and whether this could have implications legally, specifically when reviewing the mortgage?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm 

I do not believe there is anything stopping you using your house as you see fit. I think that mortgage companies would be concerned if the alterations are permanent and it might affect the value. Having said this I would suggest you prefix all discussions with 'temporary'. Have you thought about converting the garage space?

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : willcoley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

The garage has already been converted as I said in my original message, we use it for a home run online business.

"I do not believe there is anything stopping you using your house as you see fit." <<< I only wish that were true!

Seems like building standards/regs/mortgage/insurance companies will do anything to make sure we use it the way they want!