DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm 

Hi guys, it's that "front door colour change" time

Decided to stick with F&B (would appreciate no judging, we've always used it and mostly until now its been very good) and after prepping/sanding the door. Have applied 2 coats of resin blocking primer (door gets full sun in afternoons/eve) and two coats of their exterior woodwork primer. All has gone well...

until now, when I just applied the first coat of exterior eggshell.

I loaded the brush (purdy) with a generous amount of paint and despite working extremely quickly... the applied paint that was just laid before the most recent stroke, appears to dry quickly, making laying off the brush strokes impossible... taking the paint with it and creating a right mess.

I've painted the rest of the door as well as I can.... but once dry tomorrow, it will have these brush marks and raised paint marks.

That's the story so my questions are...

I guess I can lightly sand the door tomorrow morning to remove any defects/rough parts (should this be done regardless in between top coats?)
But with what.. wet and dry or normal? and what grit?

secondly... how do I stop this happening again for the second coat? ( i may do 3 actually....) I've heard of floetrol... should that be used to give me some workability?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
thx
Dave

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am 

Floetrol or zamix ( http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewp ... _EXTENDER/ ) might be the answer.

A little water added to the paint will also help, as will wiping the door with a wet (lint free) cloth and doing the job on a cloudy day - all things to stop it drying too fast.

I had a problem with a front door and a dark green Dulux paint, which I just couldn't get a decent finish on. I finally ended up using an oil based paint (not ideal on a front door given that it had to be left open for 18 hours until dry enough to stand being closed. When I contacted Dulux they didn't take long offering me a wad of vouchers which implied that the paint was at fault - I don't know if F&B have recently changed their formulation, but it might be worth bearing in mind if you can't get a decent finish when using an extender...

As for sanding back, 180 or 240g should do the job - I would use Abranet ( http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewp ... _X_230_MM/ ) but any decent abrasive would do the job.

Good Luck !

For this message the author stevewestern has received gratitude : davemulheran
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 am 

Thanks Steve. Been out and picked up the Floetrol. Also wet sanded the door back and its now smooth as glass... I'll leave it to dry and give it a floetrol coat later this afternoon/eve when it's a bit cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am 

davemulheran wrote:
Thanks Steve. Been out and picked up the Floetrol. Also wet sanded the door back and its now smooth as glass... I'll leave it to dry and give it a floetrol coat later this afternoon/eve when it's a bit cooler.

I would expect it'll still need two coats, but hopefully it should be a lot more easy to apply, and almost (???) a pleasure to use.
I'm assuming you have a decent brush - depending on the door I'd be tempted to apply with a 4" foam roller then lay off with a soft brush, but a cool evening is a good idea, and beats watching whatever tosh is on TV...

If you have any meths it might be worth wiping over with a meths soaked cloth to clean off and residue from sanding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm 

you should of wiped the door over with a damp sponge just before you started painting.It usually keeps the paint open for much longer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 pm 

Well no probs this time around, went on like a dream! Floetrol where have you been all my life!? 1 coat on, prob will do another 2 and keep the door off over the weekend/poss next week too, to let the paint harden.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm 

One thing though... it's only a small (750ml) tin of top coat I have (still enough to do about 3 doors!) so i've just added 10% floetrol to the tin. I assume that's ok and it will keep ok during my painting.... ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 pm 

davemulheran wrote:
One thing though... it's only a small (750ml) tin of top coat I have (still enough to do about 3 doors!) so i've just added 10% floetrol to the tin. I assume that's ok and it will keep ok during my painting.... ?

Give it a good stir each time you'll be fine.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : davemulheran