DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have been trying to caulk and paint skirting boards in my house but I seem to have a massive problem.

If you cut in to the ceiling, you have a ceiling line to cut up to. The same when you're cutting into architraves from the wall, you have a line.

When you caulk the top of skirting boards you do not have a line, you have a small curved surface (usually left by the finger tip on smoothing).

This curved line means I have no straight edge to work to anymore. What is worse is that the caulk will always go slightly up the wall thus increasing your skirting in hight, yet if you paint that caulk on the wall, it really does not look like part of the skirting.

I have tried everything including cutting the caulk back to get a right angle between top of skirting and wall. This gives the best result for painting but is really time consuming.

The problem seems to be that if you have gaps between wall and skirting, that dictates how big your caulking line will need to be, the bigger the line, the more the curve. Or if you try to push the curve back with a stiff edged sponge, that merely pushes the caulk into the gap and below the hight of the skirting board.

I think I'm answering my own question here.

The fix would be to take the skirting boards off, re grip them, fill in the gaps with skirting not touching there wall but to the hight of the skirting tops (maybe put some tape on the wall and pull it off to get a flat caulked edge). Once that has dried I can re caulk and really press in using a sponge, instead of finger!

Right, now I have to go and take my skirting boards off.

When I caulk this time, i will only caulk the gaps and leave it flat for the next thin bead which i can then press down on to remove that awful curve left with standard caulk and finger whipping.

Anyone got any better answers? Am I going mad or am I on to the right thing?

Best Regards

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:02 pm 

It sounds like you have the right idea, but do you really need to take the skirting boards off?

As you said, "cutting the caulk back to get a right angle between top of skirting and wall gives the best result for painting but is really time consuming."

Less time consuming than refitting all your skirting though, surely?

http://www.marcuswhitehead.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/joinerbuilder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:44 pm 

I use a damp cloth to remove excess caulk or more finger pressure than you seem to apply. You are only really looking to fill the gap between skirting and wall and if the gap is tiny (1-3 mm) you should not get any curve like you describe. Not sure what to say now as the caulk appears to have set but cut some of it off, scrape it off and then just use a tiny bit to fill the damaged surface. Or try cutting in with long strokes ... (see stick thread on cutting in at the top of the forum).

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : I Hate Painting
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

marcusjkw wrote:
It sounds like you have the right idea, but do you really need to take the skirting boards off?

As you said, "cutting the caulk back to get a right angle between top of skirting and wall gives the best result for painting but is really time consuming."

Less time consuming than refitting all your skirting though, surely?

Yep you're right i did not have to be so drastic. I used an old Guitar repair trick of getting a blade with a right angle and taping the unused portion as to not totally scuff the top of the skirting.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
I use a damp cloth to remove excess caulk or more finger pressure than you seem to apply. You are only really looking to fill the gap between skirting and wall and if the gap is tiny (1-3 mm) you should not get any curve like you describe. Not sure what to say now as the caulk appears to have set but cut some of it off, scrape it off and then just use a tiny bit to fill the damaged surface. Or try cutting in with long strokes ... (see stick thread on cutting in at the top of the forum).

Thanks I did exactly as you suggested (although before reading your suggestion) it worked out a treat!

If I have any more issues I shall return.

Many Thanks.