DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Whats the average rate in the south east?

I have always charged £100 per day - interior or exterior, until recently i went through a period of charging £120. Around this quieter xmas period though, i have dropped it back to £100 just to make sure i get the work and keep myself nice and busy.

Ive just stumbled across this little article about decorating charges;

http://www.checkyourprice.co.uk/painting-decorating-cost/index.php#paintingcosts

It says the average rate is £125 per day and £170 for exterior work.

What do you guys think of this? What are your rates?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 pm 

That site looks like the greatest heap of horse manure. Recon it's just a platform for adds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:41 pm 

Whole house £6000, god they would of fainted at my 25k price a good few years back,looool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes ive looked at that site.

Ive priced a whole house for about £5300 and £1500+ Vat and was beat on that. Ive looked over the figures and I cant go any less.

My day rate is £140 + VAT. I cant see how anyone works for like £100 a day as you wont work every day and will need to pay tax etc. If I have to work on less money I might as well work in Sainsburys or B&Q and collect trolleys around the carpark - No disrespect to anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am 
Elephant Man

BRUNO wrote:
That site looks like the greatest heap of horse manure. Recon it's just a platform for adds

:lol: Yeah, I think you hit the nail there. There are such variations in the price ranges, that the guide is vague at best. Old Victorian rooms done with TLC can go over £1000 quite easily - and nobody is getting ripped off.

£150/day is ballpark up my way. One firm was charging £220/day and complaining they didn't have a lot of work on.

FLAWLESSFINISH wrote:
Ive priced a whole house for about £5300 and £1500+ Vat and was beat on that. Ive looked over the figures and I cant go any less.

Fair and competitive price I'd say TBH. You must have run into someone who really needed the work. VAT is a killer mind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 am 
Newly registered Member

FLAWLESSFINISH wrote:

Fair and competitive price I'd say TBH. You must have run into someone who really needed the work. VAT is a killer mind.[/quote]

Yes that is what I thought. Fair and competitive. As for the VAT. Cant get out of that, wish I could as I know I would get more work in the residential sector. I do a fair bit of commercial work.

I don't mind though I have done lots of jobs where they have taken on someone and the deccy have just walked away part way through the job. Not finished the job. I then have been called back in to do the work, then the client worries I may run out as well due to other deccy leaving. It just does not make any sense. Ive seen the previous deccys work and TBH the work that had been done was to a good standard. So I have to assume they priced wrong. Thats happening a fair bit of late.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 pm 

I charge between £100 - £120 a day and (touch wood) usually booked up 2-3 months in advance. I only started on my own 4 years ago and just moved house so I'm playing it safe. Could probably get away with charging slightly more but I'm not even thinking of it at the moment, you just never know what's around the corner. I'm trying to build up a good customer base for the future, too many deccys I know around here are just out to make a quick buck. On the other hand though there is also the part time firemen/taxi drivers, etc to contend with! :angryfire: I'm up North Wales area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 pm 

It isn't what you get per day but what you give for it.................

One of my decorators charges me £200 per day. As far as quality and speed are concerned there are not many decorators that I have come across who can match him.

£200 may seem expensive but if you compare his overall charge of 2K for a large 2 bedroom apartment against the decorators who did get the job at £100 each, they took 30 man days so cost 3K!!!! and did a poor job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:37 pm 

Agree with Royaloak its what you get for your money.
I know one scottish paperhanger who would have 3 rooms papered perfectly in the time it takes me
& those faster than me (which are many) to do one.
Sadly his in semi retirement now otherwise id be pestering to help me out all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am 

I'm still new to the trade and haven't many clients I charge about £70 a day but I charge hourly on weekdays (because I often have to pop off for an hour or two to attend a uni lecture). Sometimes a little more if it's a real pig of a job.
Or if it's a small job I just charge for materials and a the price of a few drinks because it often leads to larger jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 pm 

Basically you charge what you can. You run a business not a charity, though I think we all drop our charges for vulnerable people and most of us males drop a few quid if the lady of the house wears hotpants.

So I started at £20 a day :lol: when I was a completely untrained, blagging 17 year old and now occasionally try and charge 10 times that for interiors. However my blagging skills have been honed to perfection and I could tell some people I paint with Aldi's jam and they would give me the go ahead. Seriously though, I do a very fine job for the money. I would say £160 solo and £240 for a firm is about average down SEast.

If you advertise a lot and are prepared to lose a few quotes you can charge a fair bit higher.

http://www.bristoldecorator.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm 
Troll Headbutter

What flavour jam? I'd never take you on to do a job if it was apricot. :boxing:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 am 

Quote:
most of us males drop a few quid if the lady of the house wears hotpants.

Fordy drops more than his price...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 pm 

I had a client come onto me once and I nearly dropped HIM!

If it hadn't been a sub contract job to a firm I do a lot of work for, I would have dropped the dirty ar5e bandit. I let the main contractor know that too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

royaloakcarpentry wrote:
I had a client come onto me once and I nearly dropped HIM!

If it hadn't been a sub contract job to a firm I do a lot of work for, I would have dropped the dirty ar5e bandit. I let the main contractor know that too.

Would you have dropped a woman if she tried it on or are you a homophobe?
Maybe it stirred a feeling long hidden away?