DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Paint Advice
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and could really do with some help please.

About 9 years ago when we first moved in to our house and being a bit 'Old school' we decided to paint all the woodwork in Dulux Gloss.
However last year a decorator did our lounge with F&B Estate Emulsion on the walls and F&B Eggshell on the woodwork which we both really like.

Well now its down to me to redecorate the hall but I'm at a bit of a loss as to which paint to choose.
For the walls we like a Dulux mix as well as a F&B colour but still can't quite decide though we're erring to the Dulux colour...at the moment!

For the doors (6 panel) and trims again it might be a Dulux mix or a F&B colour though not sure wether to go Satin or Eggshell.
The most important thing is durability as we have grandchildren!

So from the information that I've managed to pick up via the Web and going to Brewers it seems that water based paints are the way to go. I've never painted with them before and am feeling a little anxious about doing so.
In Brewers they recommended Johnstones Trade Aqua System saying how well it worked.

Can you kind folk offer me some welcome advice?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Paint Advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am 

Yup, the Aqua system is pretty good.
The important thing with WB and any paint to be honest is surface prep. You will also find that working fairly quickly to keep a 'wet edge' is important as WB dries quickly. Add a bit of water to any paint to thin it slightly (most use a latex extender, but a splash of water is almost as good and will save you a few pounds) and use a decent brush. Wet the brush before you start then spin it round to try to remove most of the water - this helps prevent paint drying and making the brush claggy -If you are working for a few hours you may find the brush gets a bit claggy anyway, so comb it through or rinse it out after a few hours.
A light sand to remove most of the shine from the gloss, a thorough clean with meths and a coat of primer such as Zinsser 123 to help adhesion and you can then use almost any paint you want.
Brewers are generally seen as a bit expensive, but if they are the only decent paint shop near you then fair enough, they are not going to be costing you too much more given your quantities.
You may find that your brewers can mix a Dulux base to pretty much match any other colour (such as F&B)

Good luck with it - take your time and it can almost be quite fun....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you and really appreciate the advice.

I bought some Krud Kutter Gloss-Off hoping it would eliminate the use of a primer before the final coat, am I wrong with this assumption?

Also Just wondering are there any other wb paints you can recommend other than Johnstone's?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 pm 

KK gloss-off is a good product - I use KK original a lot for cleaning surfaces.
As for paint - I am a bit of a paint snob and am lucky in that I have good clients who can afford to pay a little extra sp my favourite paint is Benjamin Moore -
https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/
It IS expensive, but it makes life so much easier - easier to apply, and looks wonderful.
Helen and Craig are very helpful so give them a call - they will try to match most paint colours, and every part of the buying process tells you that theirs is a quality product - the boxes they ship in and even the invoice...!
Otherwise, most paints that a decent paint shop sell are perfectly fine, but I'd avoid going to a 'Shed' (Homebase, B&Q etc) as their tins of Dulux or whatever do not seem to contain the same paint as you might buy in Brewers etc....

For this message the author stevewestern has received gratitude : Piscator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 am 
Newly registered Member

Do you think I could get away with using KK gloss-off and then maybe 1 or 2 coats of BM Aura Eggshell given that its a self priming paint?
Gotta say thats seriously expensive paint but it might just save a lot of time and effort???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Can I ask you a question as a pro to a customer?

If you used a decorator to decorate your lounge and you're really satisfied, how come you're doing other stuff yourself?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

fitzy wrote:

If you used a decorator to decorate your lounge and you're really satisfied, how come you're doing other stuff yourself?

Hi Fitzy,

The same decorator gave me a quote to do the job a while back but due to current circumstances we can't unfortunately afford to use his services - If I could I would.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

I spoke with BM this morning and I voiced my concerns of never having painted with wb paint and drying times so they recommended I look at the Advance Waterborne Interior Alkyd..seems promising!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:23 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Piscator wrote:
fitzy wrote:

Hi Fitzy,

The same decorator gave me a quote to do the job a while back but due to current circumstances we can't unfortunately afford to use his services - If I could I would.
Reason I ask is I've done a few jobs over the years when I've decorated for people, sometimes full houses, but never went back there.

I don't think it's a matter of them being dissatisfied with my work. Some will use someone else just to save a bit of brass, and one even said that after I had decorated they would do it themselves as I had "bottomed" the job for them.

Just good to get a bit of customer feedback really because most good decorator's norm is repeat custom and glowing recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 pm 

The Advance is top notch, I've used it on walls with a long pile roller and it pulled flat very nicely.
Open working time is superior.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:49 am 
Newly registered Member

Desmondo15 wrote:
The Advance is top notch, I've used it on walls with a long pile roller and it pulled flat very nicely.

I'm thinking of using the Advance Satin on trims & 6 panel doors, what roller would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am 

Piscator wrote:
Desmondo15 wrote:

I'm thinking of using the Advance Satin on trims & 6 panel doors, what roller would you recommend?

Fossa micro silk at decorating direct or Hamilton short pile, the white one. I'd lay off with a Hamilton laying off brush, 4 inch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:08 am 
Newly registered Member

Desmondo15 wrote:
Piscator wrote:
Desmondo15 wrote:

Fossa micro silk at decorating direct or Hamilton short pile, the white one. I'd lay off with a Hamilton laying off brush, 4 inch.

I have some Axus 4" velvet flock (lime green) would they work ok do you think?
Its a 1930's house with a some of the original woodwork in places thats not particularly great, so just wondering if to use some something like Johnstones Aqua as the Advance might be overkill?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:12 pm 

The Advance is way better. Those lime ones should be fine. Trial and error for all of us.

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : Piscator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Well been doing some further investigating this afternoon and I've read that Little Greene Acrylic Eggshell is supposed to be quite highly rated, anyone here had any experience of using the product?