DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Oven tripping electrics
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

New here, just looking for some guidance on an issue I'm experiencing with our Logik fan oven. Minimal electrics experience so please bear with me.

Bit of background - moved into new home a few months ago, living with the oven which was left in the property. First time of using the oven I noticed that one grill setting would trip the whole electrics as soon as the temperature dial was turned on. The other grill setting worked fine so we have just coped without turning on the faulty setting.

New issue, possibly related - this afternoon I've given the oven a thorough clean using the heavy duty foam cleaner. I've since gone to turn the oven on (switched to the normal fan oven setting) and turned on the temperature dial the electrics have been tripped, again! I've tried other settings too with the same result.

I have cleaned this oven with the same cleaner previously which hasn't caused any issues in the past. My first idea is that the oven is still damp (last time cleaned it was left to dry for 24 hours before used again), it has been left now for 5 hours with the door wide open and the fan running but still no joy,I would have thought it'd be dry by now. I feel potentially a faulty element that might need replacing but can't be sure.

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Bill

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 pm 

I'd agree that a faulty element is most likely your problem

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

For this message the author Ktuludays has received gratitude : bill-o
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:13 pm 

The element used in ovens is a mineral insulated device, the mineral filling is hygroscopic, that is it will absorb moisture from the air. However only the ends are likely to absorb moisture so under normal use any moisture absorbed will be driven out again the next time it is used. Before RCD protection this was not a problem. Now catch 22 need to dry out oven using over 100 deg C but can't get 100 deg C until dried out.

In your case likely a second problem, most simmerstats and thermostats only switch the line, so there is still an earth path neutral to earth even when switched off, so faulty grill could be causing trip when oven is switched on.

One to correct you need an insulation meter to find out which element is really faulty, and two there is a very dangerous way to get around the problem, and since so dangerous I hope no electrician will tell you how.

This does mean however an electrician may be able to get the oven going again without need for parts, however since likely the water will get in again in the future you may as well get the element changed.

With some ovens there are two grill elements and an oven element in the same enclosure, if that is the case switching on the one that works will likely dry out other two.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:15 pm 

ericmark wrote:
The element used in ovens is a mineral insulated device, the mineral filling is hygroscopic, that is it will absorb moisture from the air. However only the ends are likely to absorb moisture so under normal use any moisture absorbed will be driven out again the next time it is used. Before RCD protection this was not a problem. Now catch 22 need to dry out oven using over 100 deg C but can't get 100 deg C until dried out.

In your case likely a second problem, most simmerstats and thermostats only switch the line, so there is still an earth path neutral to earth even when switched off, so faulty grill could be causing trip when oven is switched on.

One to correct you need an insulation meter to find out which element is really faulty, and two there is a very dangerous way to get around the problem, and since so dangerous I hope no electrician will tell you how.

This does mean however an electrician may be able to get the oven going again without need for parts, however since likely the water will get in again in the future you may as well get the element changed.

With some ovens there are two grill elements and an oven element in the same enclosure, if that is the case switching on the one that works will likely dry out other two.

Having done some pat testing in a charity shop, some donated appliances if they have been kept in a damp garage can fail on Insulation, once they have dried out they pass fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm 

check the resistance of the element with a meter the either go dead short, high resistance or blow open circuit (power off remove the element) - the temp stats aka energy regulator are a common issue on lower end ovens, they just burn out over time

Do you have a model number (open the door and there should be a label)

Energy Reg £10-40
Element £15-35

Depending on the model and part make