DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I have a 20 year old alarm system. A couple of years ago I got annoyed with the alarm company replacing the battery every year or so and when I questioned it they said I needed to replace the panel with a newer version. The engineer said he would disable the PIR lights from flashing while I decided whether to replace the panel.

Last week (emboldened by the video here :P) I decided I could replace the panel myself and bought the suggested upgrade, Optima Compact gen4. I took careful note of the old wiring and replicated it in the new panel.

I have not discovered how the PIR's were prevented from flashing. I attach 2 photos. They seem to have random extra wires that are somehow set in rock hard white stuff but the 6 expected wires are there and do go to the expected places. It is quite hard to see in the photos but blue, yellow, green, white, red, black are attached in that order.

The new panel seems to work. I have 3 zones. I have set program 1 to use all 3 zones as Timed Zones. I have a working panic button. When I try to set the alarm the indicators for my 3 zones are lit and the panel beeps fast and continously and does not stop, the alarm does not set.

Can anyone tell me why the alarm will not set and how the PIR's were prevented from flashng?

Thanks for reading :)

Attachment:
pir2.jpg
pir2.jpg [ 278.23 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
Attachment:
pir.jpg
pir.jpg [ 262.66 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am 

You seem to be saying that when you try to set the alarm the panel is saying that the PIR's are in alarm condition. (The lights on the panel are lit)

This can be caused by one of 3 errors.
1) The PIR's are wired wrong
2) There is no voltage at the PIR's
3) The panel has a major problem

I doubt it is 3, so it has to be 2 or 1. I will guess you do not have a multi meter to find out? (If you haven't why not?)

Regarding the LED's not working if you say they were disabled some time ago then that implies the PIR LED has an on/off switch (It is not unusual) the question in your case is where? and since there are hundreds of makes of PIR, I can not tell you where it is on yours, other than it is usually marked as such.

Oh, and these cables in white stuff, are they orange and brown?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am 
Newly registered Member

hi someone-else, thanks for answering.

The PIR's were working correctly when the previous panel was disabled 2 years ago and I have not touched the wires at the PIR end just opened the front to look at them. I replicated the wiring from the old panel to the new. This makes it unlikely that the PIR's are wired incorrectly.

I do not have a multimeter but I expect I could get one.

Is there any way of determining whether it is 3?

Yes I assumed there would be an on/off switch on the PIR but I have looked very carefully and cannot see anything. It doesn't help that I am not sure what I am looking for. I have looked at as many videos online that would seem to be helpful. I cannot find any identifying marks on the PIR.

I would just replace the PIR's as they are pretty old but they are set in this rock hard stuff that makes me worry about trying to get them out.

There is unused ornge and brown cable in the PIR and at the panel for each PIR. But also at the PIR end there is taped off blue, yellow, green, white, red, black. That is all in addition to the 6 wires that are connected to teh PIR. My interpretation of that is that there is old cable which was replaced but not removed for some reason (the old alarm was here when I moved into the house).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:45 am 

JackHurst wrote:
I replicated the wiring from the old panel to the new. This makes it unlikely that the PIR's are wired incorrectly.
Sorry to say, but that is in error. What it does mean is that you THINK they must be wired correctly.

JackHurst wrote:
I do not have a multimeter but I expect I could get one.
You are trying to carry out a job, but yet you do not have all the tools to do the job, you can get a multi meter for less than £10, a job such as you are trying to do really needs a multi meter.

JackHurst wrote:
Is there any way of determining whether it is 3?
Yes. Often when not knowing what they are doing people will often change bits at random in the hopes it will solve the problem, this can not only be expensive but is a waste of time and money, the easy solution is to prove its not 1 or 2

JackHurst wrote:
Yes I assumed there would be an on/off switch on the PIR but I have looked very carefully and cannot see anything. It doesn't help that I am not sure what I am looking for. I have looked at as many videos online that would seem to be helpful. I cannot find any identifying marks on the PIR.
As I said there are many makes of PIR so I can not definitively give you a specific answer

JackHurst wrote:
I would just replace the PIR's as they are pretty old but they are set in this rock hard stuff that makes me worry about trying to get them out.
Why worry? it wont matter of you break them, you will be changing them. (It's probably pollyfilla)

JackHurst wrote:
There is unused ornge and brown cable in the PIR and at the panel for each PIR. But also at the PIR end there is taped off blue, yellow, green, white, red, black. That is all in addition to the 6 wires that are connected to teh PIR. My interpretation of that is that there is old cable which was replaced but not removed for some reason (the old alarm was here when I moved into the house).
I would say your interpretation is in error.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As an aside, since you are changing the panel, for the cost, I would also be inclined to change the PIR's (You did say only 3 of them?)

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi someone else

Thanks again for the answer.

I am a little confused.

If I took a working alarm and replaced the panel wiring the new one as the old one was wired how could it be incorrect? (I realise I may have made a mistake but I was careful to label every wire). Is there a scenario in which the wires would not go to the same place as before?

Whatever the hard white stuff is, it is cementing the PIR to the wall, I am not worried about the cost of repalcing the PIR but I am worried about unnecessary damage to the walls. Any redocaration would involve the hall and starcase, sitting room and dining room, which adds up to a very large space.

Do you have another interpretation for a 2nd set of wires in the PIR that are not connected to anything when a first set of 6 is connected? I realise that as I am not an electrician I may be missing something and would appreciate all the help I can get.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:25 pm 

Look at it this way.

It was working (all be it 2 years ago) before you changed it.
You change it, and it does not work.

Conclusion: It is some thing you have done. (or not done, as the case may be)

You can't make an omelette unless you break a few eggs. You really would do yourself a favour if you changed the detectors, do it carefully and there will be little to worry about (But you won't know till you try)

You have a 6 core and an 8 core in at least one of the detectors, it looks like it is looped into something else. (If you had a meter you might find out what, you could also check the continuity of the fuse)