Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:26 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

I am looking for some information regarding wiring requirements for an Opentherm boiler which I would like to have installed at some time in the near future.

Currently I have access to run any new cabling required between the existing and proposed boiler site in the loft and to the Megaflo unvented cylinder on the upstairs landing so it seems the ideal time to install cables that would be necessary before the access is closed off again. The idea is just to have both ends of any cables required in the appropriate area ready for when an Opentherm boiler is installed in the future.

Also I would like to have installed at the same time the Honeywell Evohome system capable of controlling both the central heating and hot water systems, presumably additional wiring is necessary for this too, so any advice on that would be welcome too.

The connection between the existing boiler and the unvented cylinder is currently made using 5 core 0.75mm

I will not be completing any of the installation myself I am just looking to route appropriate cabling as I do not want to rip everything out once again to lay the cables required.

Any advice or opinions on my proposals would be most helpful.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 pm 

I'm not really completely up to speed on all this Open Therm witchcraft, but it is just a twin cable.

As I understand it the Open Therm cable shouldn't run alongside and mains cable but can cross it. I'm not sure if a screened cable might be best.

Perhaps Razor will post as he is up to date with OT as his boilers are designed to make use of it more than most.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 pm 

I agree with everything Dave's said :withstupid:

0.5mm wire is more than sufficient even bell wire will do for short runs of OT. It's a digital signal rather than analogue so it either works or not!

Evo doesn't use that many wires to run hot water as it's a wireless link.

As you're in St Albans I can do no better than point you at http://www.jheating.co.uk/ in the spirit of full disclosure the owner Dan Robinson is a personal friend but he is also genuinely one of the most experienced people in the country with Evohome (and Intergas boilers). They are based in Henlow so not far from you and they do outstanding work - at a price :wink:

Give them a call and say Ray sent you you will get good advice :thumbright:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : cjd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

thank you gents, so it seems over and above the existing 5 core it is just a 2 core shielded that is required.

Ray thanks for the recommendation, as I am not ready for work to be carried out yet would Dan be okay with me just asking about the cabling, don't want to appear that I am trying to get his expertise for nothing!

Have to say I am willing to pay for outstanding work, quality always costs money, so your recommendation is most welcome, plus Intergas boilers are what I have been looking at as they appear to approved by those of you chaps in the know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 pm 

I too can say Dan’s reputation is second to none.
I know him but not as well as Razor, but I can say the jobs he does to a high level would leave me not sleeping and sweating al night! Ha ha

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : cjd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Dave, well that is 2 recommendations for Dan so can’t wish for better advice than that.

Hopefully if I ask him about the cabling query he won’t mind as it sounds like he is the type of quality tradesman that are so difficult find, and that I would be keen to use.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:32 am 

Dan will welcome serious enquiries and he's usuallly booked up for 3 or 4 months in advance so the time frame shouldn't be an issue.

He's well inside the top 5 Intergas guys in the U.K. and probably has more practical Evohome experience than anyone I know except the guy that owns the Evohome shop in Wales

Gas4you, you might find his installs scary but feel sorry for the poor bugger that's the only Intergas direct labour bloke that will go to them the rest just run away :lol: :lol:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : gas4you
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ray,

I have sent an email to Dan so hopefully I may hear from him when he gets a chance.

Blimey a 3-4 month wait for Dan, says it all about the quality of his work.

So Intergas boilers are the way to go now from what I have read on the forum.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:48 pm 

Being the senior engineer for them I have to admit a certain bias but the Intergas boilers are fantastic and the new range being launched very soon are definitely next level

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:36 pm 

All I can add is that I am not in any way linked to Intergas but have started fitting them over the last few months.

So far I have been very pleased with all I have fitted and so have my customers.

I am still in the learning period with them but can’t wait until fitting them becomes second nature to me.

Also I must give thanks to Razor for his invaluable help and advice when I have been uncertain during my installations.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ray, Dave, thanks for the information, when you say next level for the new range of boilers what sort of improvements can the end user expect to see?

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm 

That I will gave to leave to Ray to answer as I haven’t a clue what the new ones are like.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:27 pm 

The new boilers are based on exactly the same basic concepts but every component has been updated. They should be totally reliable and they are almost silent. It's a big step forward considering the existing range is still one of the best on the market.

If you're planning on going to a full control system like Evo the biggest advantage the new Exclusive will give you is in the low modulation range. I will do my best to explain :lol:

Most older boiler ranges only had a 'turndown' ratio of around 4.5:1, this means that a 30kW boiler would run down to around 6.6kW the new range is around 9:1 so will modulate down to somewhere near 3.6kW

Now using Evohome you're effectively controlling each rad or zone individually so you could theoretically only have heat going to one radiator. If the rad has an output of say 2kW the boiler output on minimum is going to be too high and the boiler will cycle which is inefficient. Of course the one with better modulation will also cycle but it will burn for far longer between cycles.

Intergas work very well with Honeywell because we use their software, in fact they make the chipset for the ECO RF range :wink:

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : gas4you
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 pm 

Great, everything I wanted and was prepared to pay for - alas, do not seem to be available in deepest West Wales. Ray did not come back to me & the one intergas installer I found measured up then didn't bother to quote. So went elswhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Great explanation Ray, so my little brain understands it to be that the output can be greatly reduced in comparison to the current units but will run for a longer period but far closer to any very small demand situation.

Presumably an Intergas boiler would be acceptable in the loft space.

Definitely like the sound of Intergas with EvoHome.

Returning to the OpenTherm cabling, is there an approved specification of shielded cable I should be looking to obtain?

Chris