DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Changes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

Yes, those bloody plugs were soft and rounded easily. It was advisable to buy a new one if you did an oil change I recall. Crikey, does anyone do a home oil change these days?????

DWD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm 

I did an oil change a couple of years back, and decided it's too much of a palaver!
Mate of mine had some of those type of grips years back, they're good for damaged stuff as said, but they mark anything they're used on.
Decent "get of jail free" card though. :thumbleft:

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm 

I do my own oil changes, I don't drain from the sump though, too messy. I use a vacuum pump to remove the oil, much easier and cleaner.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 pm 

I've got the infamous 1.6hdi. Needs for oil to be completely drained when hot (There's a Citroen service bulletin). Fortunately I know the dealer I go to does it. I thought I'd save a few quid. It's a messy job though.

For this message the author Dave54 has received thanks - 2: james232, multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm 

I always believed to drain the oil whilst hot. Some more stuff may came out than if trying to suck the oil out.

For this message the author OchAye has received thanks - 2: Dave54, multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:26 pm 

The worse bit is the oil filter. They are in such awkward positions and at an angle so that you know oil will p*ss out as soon as you start unwinding it. That is if you can get it turning in the first pace. Most filters are inaccessible without using a ramp these days.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm 

I no longer do my own oil changes, (or much else mechanical, truth be told), for what an oil change costs it's not worth the mess and the greasy skinned knuckles.

My van is due it's first service at 25k miles which is too long imo before an oil change, so I took it round to my local garage.

I have 30 years free roadside assistance from Mercedes as long as they service it, so I asked my local guy if he can just do an oil change without Mercedes knowing.

Nope. He can't buy genuine parts except from Mercedes who will want the reg number and it's then logged against that vehicle. I could have still let him do it cos having it serviced by Mercedes the next time would reinstate the roadside assistance, but it's just more potential hassle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:19 pm 

It's not too bad on the hdi. It's upside down, on the side of the engine. You have to take one or two bits off to remove it, but it's only a couple of minutes. It self drains through a hole when you unscrew it, it's a replaceable cartridge type. Getting the orientation right so that the hole is blocked is a bit "blind", but apart from that, not too bad. On mine, a Tepee, you can get at the sump plug OK as well. Bit of a stretch but not too bad. Worst bit is fishing the plug out of the oil after. The oil is expletivitely hot so the easiest way is to let the plug fall.

I usually get it done anyway.
Tempting to buy more tools though. "Just in case"
I bought one of those diamond hole cutter sets because I was sorting through the "reduced" rack, long after the offer a bit back, and I think they were £2.99. Looks a decent set TBH. They will get used. I don't think I've ever bought anything that hasn't. . . Eventually! :lol:

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 pm 

OchAye wrote:
I always believed to drain the oil whilst hot. Some more stuff may came out than if trying to suck the oil out.

Some guys tested that theory on a forum, the consensus was that no more than a few teaspoons were left after using the vacuum method so nothing really to worry about. It's just so easy doing it with a pump, no worries about scalding hot oil or spilling it all over the road, it's neatly stored in the pump body and I can decant at my leisure.

Post subject: Re: Oil Changes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

This was going OT, so I've given it it's own thread.

For this message the author moderator7 has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 pm 

We thought you would not notice ... been quiet around here :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm 

My Jeep is surprisingly simple to change the oil. The filter is in a cannister accessible from the top of the engine - just lift the hood and there it is! Equally the sump plug comes out no problem. The only 'difficulty' is affording the oil to put in it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
My Jeep is surprisingly simple to change the oil. The filter is in a cannister accessible from the top of the engine - just lift the hood and there it is! Equally the sump plug comes out no problem. The only 'difficulty' is affording the oil to put in it!

My filter is not exactly hard to get to but it is side mounted which makes it's a little more awkward. Wish it was a top mount like yours though, I wouldn't even need to drag the ramps out then.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 pm 

I would have thought your biggest issue would be catching the old oil and disposing of it legally in a enviromentally way at your local tip? I pour mine over the bonfire at the bottom of the garden.

Many years ago in the motor trade, we had a "stove" thing in the workshop (red-hot) fuelled by the drainings to heat the building. No use in summer though, unless as bleak as it was today, August 16th 2017, in Pembrokeshire. Had to light the log-burner tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 pm 

I remember those stoves as they had one at the garage where I worked as a kid on Saturdays. They ran on compressed air and the air/oil spray would burn and heat up the big stove body throwing out a load of heat. All the old engine oil got burned off in this way. They got banned under the Clean Air Act in the late 60's I recall. I remember standing in front of it drying out from washing the cars and you would always get wet leaning over to leather off. I can almost feel the hot aches in my hands now :lol:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : multiman

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]