DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Re: Oil Changes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 am 

I put the dirty old oil into the bottle that I just filled the car with and then take it to the local tip.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am 

Rorschach wrote:
OchAye wrote:
I always believed to drain the oil whilst hot. Some more stuff may came out than if trying to suck the oil out.

Some guys tested that theory on a forum, the consensus was that no more than a few teaspoons were left after using the vacuum method so nothing really to worry about. It's just so easy doing it with a pump, no worries about scalding hot oil or spilling it all over the road, it's neatly stored in the pump body and I can decant at my leisure.

When the pump type things to remove the oil through the dipstick first started to be used regularly was around the time I started driving cars. Around 1978. At least there was a lot of talk about it back then so I assumed it was new-ish. I used to have car mags back then, and I remember one mag, possibly Car Mechanics doing a test on it, and saying there was quite a bit of dirty oil left, and in their opinion it was better take the sump plug out.

It's also in the service bulletin with the 1.6hdi says not to use that method, and then going on to say the oil has to be drained hot via the sump plug, and left for 10 minutes (I think) to get the last bit out.

So you pays yer money etc. I'm sure plenty of cars get serviced that way and are fine. Changing the oil at less than the recommended would seem to be more important to me. I halve the recommended interval. 15K on mine. So around 7 or 8 thou.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 am 

Changing the oil will be about getting the detritus out of it which has a tendency to settle on the bottom of the sump. You may be able to 'suck' the oil from the top but the 'sh1t' won't flow towards the suck-up point as well as it will towards the sump plug outlet.

I've heard some mechanics mention chucking a pint of diesel into the crankcase just before shutting the engine down to help wash/thin the oil when it's hot....... could be an old wives tale.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 am 

Careful with adding stuff to flush the engine. They really have to be drained well otherwise they will stay on and make the oil thinner than it ought to be. But I absolutely agree with you on why drain than suck out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am 

To add to the flushing stuff, the SAAB dealer I used to go back then, insisted on flushing the engine. Run it hot, add a bottle of engine flush thing, run it for x minutes and immediately drain. They had a serious problem (saab 9-3 mainly) whereby the oil was overheating from the catalytic converter under the oil sump ::b . The oil would create small balls of carbon(?) the size of a clothes' pin (whatever I am on about). End result, the pick up tube mesh would get blocked and kiss the engine goodbye.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 am 

Yes, it's telling that they don't say anything about flushing the hdi engine. It has a similar problem with carbon in the oil causing the turbo to fail. Trouble with all these engines of course is they are so efficient to meet the relevant government regs that they are in effect "high-performance" engines. They're small, run hot, and produce a lot of power for their size. So they need fancy oil and lots of changes.

I'm sure at that mag I mentioned earlier they sent the remaining oil to be tested, but it's a long time ago. . .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm 

The thing is how much is actually settling in the sump? Oils are designed to keep all the muck in suspension so it can be removed by the filter. You drain the oil after running the engine which will have pumped it all around. I'd wager there is no difference between the last little drop of oil at the bottom of the sump than the rest of the oil. What dirt is in the there will be diluted by the fresh oil and cleaned by the filter.

The suspension thing is the reason that machines such as lathes that don't run a total loss oiling system will warn you not to use motor oils in them as lubricants as the detergents in the oil keep recirculating particles rather than letting them settle at the sump for cleaning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm 

I do my own basic servicing...filters etc.
Normally do it at work, so a little mess isn't a problem, but rarely make a mess. I use a large shallow pan, bit like a BS tin, but about twice the size.

Most awkard bit is usually dropping the under tray, once thats out of the way, I crack the plug, then use a long extension and socket or whatever to undo the plug ... pours straight out into the large pan nicely.... big enough to still catch it when it slows and runs along the bottom of the sump.
Whilst thats raining, I lower the car to do the air/fuel/pollen filters and anything else.... then onto the oil filter. Have a big budle of tissue/rag at the ready nd some gloves. Unscrew it or pull it out, and put it in the oil pan, pull off the glove and chuck that in there too and put on a fresh pair.
Chuck it all on a bonfire later on. :oops:

I think a lot of it is having the correct tools, a proper oil filter wrench works wonders! And good quality allen keys/torx bits to not round off the bolt heads/plug etc.

For this message the author Hitch has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 pm 
BANNED

Rorschach wrote:
I do my own oil changes, I don't drain from the sump though, too messy. I use a vacuum pump to remove the oil, much easier and cleaner.
Yes easier and quicker

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 pm 
BANNED

The oil pump is normally used by people who perform regular oil changes at 6k especially for timing chain engines, and the best way to use is to do 2 or 3 using pump then one using sump drain.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 pm 
diesel demon

I use the drain plug.
I remember a topic on the Skoda forum about dropping the sump pan to clean the oil pickup gauze as it had a habit of choking, I think it was more the petrol ones that were prone to it though.

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

Time zone: Europe/London