DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm currently doing a few jobs for the girlfriend and in the corner of the room is a junction box that belongs to NTL/Virgin, it is "cable" and not sky satellite etc.

The tv reception and broadband comes through the same cable via this box, but some of the wires are the incorrect length. The cable just looks like coax cable, but the ends are different (please see attached picture) can I cut the wires and then re-join some new connectors to the ends?

Do I need a special tool to do this?

Thanks in advance

chez

Attachments:
cable connector.jpg
cable connector.jpg [ 13.99 KiB | Viewed 6155 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:32 pm 

I don't think its coax and have been adviced by several people not to cut the cable and re-join. Is it from the box to the TV you want to extend or the cable from outside into STB ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:50 pm 
Borders Bodger

When I had NTL Analog and Analog Satellite, they both had connectors like this - Unless the connections have changed, they work in a similar way to the the TV co-ax plugs, but screw on instead of push on into the socket - and the plug is connected onto the cable by the 'collet' (not sure what teh proper name is) screwing on over the outer sheath to secure it, no more tools needed then doing a Co-Ax arial plug.

Looks like one of these?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&doy=12m11&C=SO&U=strat15
Q) How do you actually fit the plugs? Is anything else required like crimping rings or a special tool? An answer that is actually helpful would be appreciated. - J Macelroy
A) Strip back the outer sheath exposing the braiding by around 20mm and fold the braiding back on itself, cut the centre insulation back around 17-18 mm exposing the centre connector, the cable is then inserted into the plug and the plug is "screwed" onto the cable. Nothing else is required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:56 pm 

The cable is classed as CT-100 and connects via F-type connectors.

I had an issue with a degrading picture quality and it turned out to be a poor installation at the entry to the house but when an engineer came out he also looked at my cabling inside and said that was rubbish as well so he just replaced the whole lot, free of charge. :thumbright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hoovie wrote:
When I had NTL Analog and Analog Satellite, they both had connectors like this - Unless the connections have changed, they work in a similar way to the the TV co-ax plugs, but screw on instead of push on into the socket - and the plug is connected onto the cable by the 'collet' (not sure what teh proper name is) screwing on over the outer sheath to secure it, no more tools needed then doing a Co-Ax arial plug.

Looks like one of these?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&doy=12m11&C=SO&U=strat15
Q) How do you actually fit the plugs? Is anything else required like crimping rings or a special tool? An answer that is actually helpful would be appreciated. - J Macelroy
A) Strip back the outer sheath exposing the braiding by around 20mm and fold the braiding back on itself, cut the centre insulation back around 17-18 mm exposing the centre connector, the cable is then inserted into the plug and the plug is "screwed" onto the cable. Nothing else is required

They look like the ones.

I was not sure if a special crimp tool was needed. We had a cable made to an exact length a few weeks back, but since I have buried the cable under the laminate I could do with loosing a few inches from the existing cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
Borders Bodger

There are some similar connectors that are crimped - these are usually BNC-Type connectors commonly found on old 10-Base2 networks and scientific kit.

The connectors you are using are pretty rubbish at taking any sort of strain (you probably found that already!), so make sure any joins can't get tugged before you hide them away.
My NTL ones were forever coming loose ::b I think I would wrap some duct tape once fitted and tested to make sure didn't pull off accidentally.

Getting it ready for the Celeb jungle program :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'll have a trip to maplins as I might find an adaptable box to hide it all in as well. Everything has to be rabbit proof ::b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:07 pm 
Communications Expert

It is an F type connector. You can cut and join by installing a "barrel" style coupler between 2 F type plugs. You can get really good F types that have a thread at both ends of connector. One allowing the connector to screw to the NTL box, the other screws over the cable braid when making the end off. No crimps needed - Great!!
If you want some, I can send you some up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

mr phone wrote:
It is an F type connector. You can cut and join by installing a "barrel" style coupler between 2 F type plugs. You can get really good F types that have a thread at both ends of connector. One allowing the connector to screw to the NTL box, the other screws over the cable braid when making the end off. No crimps needed - Great!!
If you want some, I can send you some up.

That would be great thanks :thumbright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

The connectors arrived this morning.

Thanks again

:thumbright:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]