DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Re: Not collecting stuff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 am 

Goes to prove my (tin-foil hat) theory that Government are out to make criminals of us all by any way they possibly can. :roll:

It is said that on continental Europe (the place soon to be called 'formerly the EU' :lol: ) that unless there is a specific rule PERMITTING you to do something then everything you may otherwise do is 'illegal'. Here in the UK it's the opposite in that everything is legal unless you are specifically REFUSED to do something.

Maybe 'they' are trying to push the continental way - and maybe they should stop trying now that we're leaving????

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:57 am 
Old School Chippie

kellys_eye wrote:
It is said that on continental Europe (the place soon to be called 'formerly the EU' :lol: ) that unless there is a specific rule PERMITTING you to do something then everything you may otherwise do is 'illegal'. Here in the UK it's the opposite in that everything is legal unless you are specifically REFUSED to do something.

That's France, really, but Tony Bliar was trying to push us nthat way and away from the principle thhat you are guilty unless and until proven otherwise in a court of law

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:32 am 

Going back a while I recall on another forum that a poster from Spain (English but living out there) had said that in his local area the authorities had set up areas for people to drop off their unwanted stuff , a tip if you like but with one big difference. anybody was free to pick up what ever they wanted from this tip and take it way and after a few weeks the council would clear the area and the whole process would start again. I couldn't verify if this is commonplace or even true but it does sound a sensible idea provided people don't abuse it.
Going slight away from the original topic , our local council is stating to introduce charges for the dumping of waste in certain catagorys from domestic customers. Soil and rubble is to be charged at £3 per bag , plasterboard at £3 or £4 per sheet or bag and tyres at £4 a piece.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am 

Grendel wrote:
our local council is stating to introduce charges for the dumping of waste in certain catagorys from domestic customers. Soil and rubble is to be charged at £3 per bag , plasterboard at £3 or £4 per sheet or bag and tyres at £4 a piece.

:cussing: Its obvious to a blind man what will be the result of that. Small insects with wings will become rich.............fly tipping.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 pm 

All Councils have a default position of 'charge for it' - regardless of the practicalities or the will of the people.

This is one area where the continentals seem to have it right - especially in rubbish collection.

I like the idea of a central 'dump' where people can rummage for things they might find useful. It covers the 'green' aspect of society perfectly but, as usual, the UK Councils would only ever see it as a money grabbing exercise rather than a service to their taxpaying customers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Our local tip has just changed to registration with ANPR cameras to enforce fines. You can only go X amount of times a month and with a load of restrictions of what can be taken.

The experience is poor too, as odd a comment as that is. You go there and there about 10 people watching you to make sure you don't put anything in the wrong skip. They SCREAM at you if you head the wrong way or look like you're about to do something wrong.

In fact, the only time they spring to life is when you have electrical or electronic goods, then they can't help you enough......yes, we'll just put that in this shed here for inspection later and WE will scrap it. I'll bet.

The only time I've EVER been offered help, regardless of how quiet was when they saw a load of lead in my boot. Let them get all the other stuff out and then shut the boot when it got to the lead. They were gutted.....

BG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:46 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:

The only time I've EVER been offered help, regardless of how quiet was when they saw a load of lead in my boot. Let them get all the other stuff out and then shut the boot when it got to the lead. They were gutted.....

BG

:lol: That would have been a hoot to watch! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:56 pm 

got wrong with our local tip monkeys once they have been nice as pie to me ever since :lol: About 8 yeas ago was helping a mate out dump some cuttings from his garden the pile was about 6 foot high on top of my 6by4 trailer and that was with me jumping on it to push it down :lol: I had finished unloading and chucked my spade and fork back in the trailer as i folded my tarp back up one of them walked up and took my tools out of the trailer and walked off spun round and roared put them back in you little beep as i stomped after him :cussing: (am 6ft10 and the wrong side of 25 stone) next thing i am surrounded by the rest of them giving it they are ours and we will call the police as you nicking them just looked at this little needle and said fine ring them the fact i have the invoice for them in the front of my car will be more then enough to make you look stupid with that he said ok but we going to watch you and then walked off throwing them back in my trailer.Since then i can take anything in there no matter what i am in and never get stopped for it. infact went there today and watched them rip some poor sod off as he had stuff in a van took his money no receipt and cash in his back pocket :angryfire:

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:22 pm 

Standard council recycling centre proceedure : "Is it new in the bag with the reciept? No? Well f**k off then sonny!" :lol:

That said, I tried leaving a brand new unopened bag of multifinish at our local centre, got halfway to the re-use area... "that needs to go in plaster m8!"... yeah but it's new I says... "we can't do anything with it, it'll have to go in waste" :roll:

You can't put brains in coconuts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:59 am 

someone-else wrote:
Grendel wrote:
our local council is stating to introduce charges for the dumping of waste in certain catagorys from domestic customers. Soil and rubble is to be charged at £3 per bag , plasterboard at £3 or £4 per sheet or bag and tyres at £4 a piece.

:cussing: Its obvious to a blind man what will be the result of that. Small insects with wings will become rich.............fly tipping.

That could have been a direct quote from the letters page of our local paper and I can't see it being wrong.
On the other side of the coin my father used to work at the local tip and incineration plant until he retired in the mid 90's . Our house was always stuffed with things he brought home anything from antiques , clothes , books , toys , all the way to food and booze and the number of bikes , mowers and vacuums we had was huge. Regulations were different back then of course but one little "trick" was to approach someone in a liveried van with a notepad and a pencil saying that they had to record the details in case firms inquired about misuse or private use of vehicles. There never was any such recording scheme and no details were ever taken but my father said people would often fall for it and say "here have a drink and forget about the details" :lol: