DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello all

I am trying to wire up a new light fitting. I have one light at the base of the stairs(the one to fit) and one on the landing(standard pendant), both lights are controlled by either the light switch downstairs, or one on the landing.
we have only been in the house a few months and the old light was already out. I have tried to wire it up but i only get as far as the light being permanently on, and not controlled by either switch(short circuit?).

i have tried to look at the wiring on the landing light, but this is wired up to the rose and looks nothing like the picture attached.

the wiring is how it has been since we moved in.

i have a grey sleeved brown connected to a brown (connecting the first and third cables)

I have a black sleeved brown

2 browns connected (connecting cable 1 and 2) and the obvious earths

Can anyone please help, my shoulders can't take much more. many thanks

Attachments:
File comment: photo
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 225.14 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm 

Standard method is all brown wires (not those with sleeves on) together should be three.
All bare wires i.e. earth wires which should have green/yellow sleeving on together.

This leaves the blues, if marked correct then the blue with brown sleeving on goes to one contact of lamp, and the ones with no sleeve together and to other contact of lamp. Where the problem arises is where the brown sleeving is missing, however seems from picture in your case it is there.

So you end up with four connections.
Earth,
Permanent line,
Switched line,
Neutral.
The permanent line is only used with emergency lights and ceiling fans, with a standard ceiling rose it is in the centre and does not connect to lamp, (normally a three connection block) the neutral goes to one side again three connection block, and switched line other side into a two connection block. Earths normally go to a clamp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

ericmark wrote:
Standard method is all brown wires (not those with sleeves on) together should be three.
All bare wires i.e. earth wires which should have green/yellow sleeving on together.

This leaves the blues, if marked correct then the blue with brown sleeving on goes to one contact of lamp, and the ones with no sleeve together and to other contact of lamp. Where the problem arises is where the brown sleeving is missing, however seems from picture in your case it is there.

Earth,
Permanent line,
Switched line,
Neutral.
The permanent line is only used with emergency lights and ceiling fans, with a standard ceiling rose it is in the centre and does not connect to lamp, (normally a three connection block) the neutral goes to one side again three connection block, and switched line other side into a two connection block. Earths normally go to a clamp.

thank you

i think i am going to pick up some a new connecting block then and wire up as mentioned, however i have a grey wire sleeved with brown, IO also have a black wire with brown sleeve and only 2 blues visible as blue. am i right in thinking that the grey with brown sleeve is the switched?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm 

Tommyten wrote:
ericmark wrote:

Earth,
Permanent line,
Switched line,
Neutral.

thank you

i think i am going to pick up some a new connecting block then and wire up as mentioned, however i have a grey wire sleeved with brown, IO also have a black wire with brown sleeve and only 2 blues visible as blue. am i right in thinking that the grey with brown sleeve is the switched?

You're talking about the switches now, I presume.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

nope, not touched the switches, those are the colors of each wire from the ceiling.
3 brown
one back sleeved brown
one grey sleeved brown
2 blue
and 3 earth

non of the blues are sleeved, as you mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 pm 

I think someone has used a "3 way" cable there somewhere. The two cables with brown-blue would USUALLY be the loop in and out, but I would expect the two blues to be connected together in that case. Goodness knows what they have done there, as one of the blue/brown cables might go to the "other "light, or they may have used a "spare" core in the 3 way cable for that. Do you have pics of the other two switches? I haven't seen a 3 way cable run to the rose before, even for two way switching so this might take some sorting out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 am 

Pics of both light switch es will help so we can understand writing further

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm 
Approved Electrician

multiman wrote:
Pics of both light switch es will help so we can understand writing further

Agreed. And a picture of the other light fittings wiring.

For this message the author OnlyMe has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am 
Newly registered Member

just for ease of layout, as soon as you come in through the front door you are at the bottom of the staircase, this is where i am trying to fit the new fitting. the dividing wall has already been removed and it is open plan into the living room, I have 2 matching fittings.

Switch one controls the living room light, this was fit with ease.

switch 2 controls the light at both bottom and top of the stair case

switch 3 and 4 don't appear to do anything, but as per the picture i have some down lighters and it should be for them, but they are also not working. the security light is wired round to the back of the ouse and has its own labeled fused switch.

the light switch at the top of the stairs is only 2 switches, 1 for the pendent light at top of stairs, and the other is for the bathroom and it also activates the extractor fan.

Many thanks

Attachments:
proper forum.jpg
proper forum.jpg [ 905.67 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

For this message the author Tommyten has received gratitude : multiman