DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am 

After our house fire we are now living in a rented house, its brand new, its in France the owner is a property developer in the Uk who tried his luck here in France. The gas boiler is a "Lablanc" which is made by "Bosch" we don't have any control over the boiler apart from switching it on and off, the landlord, a new experience for us, is ok but he wants us to get someone to put a timer/stat on it, due to other reasons nobody will come out to it. So as I was building my own house to start with, I think I can wire in a stat/timer, the question is what sort, cheapest as it will be staying, whats involved, and if this was in the uk could I legally do it? Thanks Nos

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 am 

You can fit any stat you like as long as you make sure you do it safely.

Despite a recent price increase the Plumbcenter copy of the Honeywell CM927 is still a good reliable stat for not much money

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/ce ... hermostat/

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : Dickie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm 

Thanks Razor, on the fitting instructions it connects to the boiler via the BDR91, I have to find the same connector on my French boiler, what is the BDR91 is it the first point of entry for the mains cable? The boiler I have is model Number NGVA28-4H, it gives two options of a thermostat 230Vlts or a 24Vlts. sorry cannot be more helpful. Nos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 pm 

The BDR91 is the relay box that comes with the wireless thermostat.

The thermostat talks to the BDR wirelessly then the BDR tells the boiler to come on. :thumbleft:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:03 pm 

Thanks Razor, nearly there, are these programmers/Thermostats universal ? having done a bit more checking I have found that the boiler accepts four wires for the control, Live/ Neutral from a unit! and two wires from the programmer/ thermostat, any problem if I get these two wires from the P/T mixed up? once I open up the front it might tell me which is which, at the moment I have no idea, also am I looking for a two wire or four wire controller? in case I have to buy out here. Nos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 am 

Just an update, as the boiler is basic and the electrician wired it to a plug :dunno: I just put on a basic plug in timer, and it works, as said there are TRVs on all the rads, so this should be a cheap compromise over the winter. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 pm 

Not a clue about French rules so I will talk about British and hope they are similar, in the UK all boilers fitted today need to be condenser type, this means they have a variable flame height controlled by the return water temperature so in the heart of the winter the TRV should in theory control the boiler with no need for any wall thermostat.

The problem is at start and end of winter when the boiler will cycle and you really want something to turn it off.

But with all the condensate boilers I have seen they need a cool down time, this is where I worry, although some very basic boilers are simply turned off at the mains, it is today quite rare. I looked for a instruction set but only in French so it would seem there is a 24 volt control so would guess you need a volt free timer or thermostat, £32 for a wired programmable thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:41 pm 

Sorry, but the above post is so wrong on several points that I really don't know where to start or if I even have the inclination to put them all right

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : Razor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 pm 

ericmark wrote:
Not a clue about French rules so I will talk about British and hope they are similar, in the UK all boilers fitted today need to be condenser type, this means they have a variable flame height controlled by the return water temperature so in the heart of the winter the TRV should in theory control the boiler with no need for any wall thermostat.

The problem is at start and end of winter when the boiler will cycle and you really want something to turn it off.

But with all the condensate boilers I have seen they need a cool down time, this is where I worry, although some very basic boilers are simply turned off at the mains, it is today quite rare. I looked for a instruction set but only in French so it would seem there is a 24 volt control so would guess you need a volt free timer or thermostat, £32 for a wired programmable thermostat.

Can I have some of what you're smoking? I'm struggling to find anything in that post that is even vaguely sensible :scratch:

You clearly don't have a clue what makes a condensing boiler or about the UK rules.

Perhaps you should've answered my questions on your own thread where you can't get your own controls to work and you might be nearer a solution there :wink:

Last edited by Razor on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : gas4you
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 pm 

My post was longer so Dave posted first but we're deffo on the same page :lol: :lol: :lol:

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : gas4you