DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

News News of Stoves

Site map of Stoves » Forum : Stoves

Stoves and stove related questions

[ Total topics 16 Go to page 1, 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 am 
Came to light my wood burning stove this morning and noticed there was a ring of broken fire cement in segments which appears to have sort of 'popped out' of the flue where it enters the stove.

Is this normal behaviour for fire cement to lift itself up and out of a joint??

And the real question: is resealing this something I can do myself or do I have to get a HETAS £££ guy ...

Read more : Odd fire cement behaviour? | Views : 143 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Wood burning stove flue sealant
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 pm 
Hi

We have a soft black sealant around where the flue of the pot belly stove enters the chimney (see picture). Unfortunately some of it has come away, does anyone know which product & brand I need to buy in order to patch this up? I’m assuming it needs to be something specific to this particular application and not a general purpose mastic.

Thanks
Conor

Attachment:
stove-1.jpeg

Attachment:
stove-2.jpeg

Read more : Wood burning stove flue sealant | Views : 241 | Replies : 3

Post subject: Finish around wood burning stove
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 pm 
Got a job coming up soon, finishing plasterwork around a woodburning stove. there is a large recess and the clients want a flat finish on the returns, leaving the brickwork exposed at the back, it is a small stove and has clearance of 450mm either side and 1200mm vertically. Due to the brickwork I plan to dot & dab the returns and make good onto the existing wall.

Question is, can I use pink heat ...

Read more : Finish around wood burning stove | Views : 347 | Replies : 8

Post subject: Welcome Bowland Stoves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm 
Bowland stoves have offered to answer any stove related questions in the forum, if you have any questions regarding stoves please ask in this forum and Bowland stoves will answer your questions.

They have many years of experience of stoves and stove installation :welcome:

Read more : Welcome Bowland Stoves | Views : 195 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Cost of HETAS stove installation check
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:55 am 
This is a long story which has been shortened significantly for the purposes of posing this question simply, so in case you're wondering about the wisdom of having doe the below...we know...and this is not the full version of the story!

So, (for the purposes of this question), let's say we disconnected a wood burning stove from its flue and pulled it forward in order to easily paint behind it.

When 'we' pushed it back ...

Read more : Cost of HETAS stove installation check | Views : 490 | Replies : 3

Post subject: Stoves surrounds
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:19 pm 
Hi, we are installing a stove in a new build and I'm looking for some design advice.
The stove is to be located in a purpose built corner alcove approx 5ft high and 3ft wide.

We are looking for suggestions on how to finish the surround. The stove will set set on a plinth approx 9 inches high. We have been thinking about tiles, but there is disagreement on whether to put a tile surround ...

Read more : Stoves surrounds | Views : 426 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Ceramic Tiles to line fireplace for wood burning stove
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:40 am 
Hello

I am in the process of having a wood burning stove professionally installed. Before I discuss the lining option with the installers, could someone confirm whether I can use ceramic tiles to line the back and sides of the fireplace (not the hearth / floor)?

The property is a Victorian terrace and I have some Victorian mosaic floor / wall style ceramic tiles left over from doing the bathroom floor that I think they ...

Read more : Ceramic Tiles to line fireplace for wood burning stove | Views : 1940 | Replies : 6

Post subject: Multi fuel stove paint problem
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:42 pm 
Hi all, I've just finished installing our stove at home. I lit it and went to make a cuppa! Wen i went back into the lounge i i noticed the paint peeling on the stove and a smoke coming off the surface. Its a second hand hunter hawk and i was told it was painted last year, I'm dubious now and wondering it must have been painted in normal paint as my room was filling ...

Read more : Multi fuel stove paint problem | Views : 694 | Replies : 4

Post subject: SPARKO ST-41 inset Stove
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:12 pm 
Hi,

Has anyone heard of this stove manufacturer? I have had a Google look and cannot find any information.

We have just had a quote from a local fireplace installation company to fit a Riva insert fire into an existing fireplace opening for £2,800 which I thought was perhaps a bit steep! (This does not include a hearth or plastering, as at the time of survey I was not sure how I wanted the hearth ...

Read more : SPARKO ST-41 inset Stove | Views : 1764 | Replies : 4

Post subject: Back panel for wood burning stove.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:13 pm 
I had a wood burning stove fitted about two years ago and at the time the guys said I didn't require any protection on the walls behind the stove. However the plaster behind the stove has become badly cracked and I was wondering if I could place the reversible laminate back panels I've seen in B&Q on the walls behind the stove?
The stove is a Stockton 5 if that makes any difference.

Read more : Back panel for wood burning stove. | Views : 4324 | Replies : 6

[ Total topics 16 Go to page 1, 2

Last 10 active topics

Tool Talk

No new posts Which drill?
View the latest post

General DIY forum

No new posts DIY Fire sprinkler system?
View the latest post
No new posts Ceiling Repair
View the latest post

Electric Forum UK

No new posts Socket in headboard: spur or extension type socket?
View the latest post

The Lounge

No new posts Bitcoins
View the latest post
No new posts scrap
View the latest post

WELCOME

No new posts Hello from Devon
View the latest post

Plumbing Forum

No new posts Fitting Shower Pump
View the latest post

Painting & Decorating Forum

No new posts What paint to use for plaster archway and columns?
View the latest post
No new posts Johnstones acrylic matt.
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 743310 | Total topics 86081 | Total members 42578

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact