DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

News News of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

Site map of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems » Forum : Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

[ Total topics 1408 Go to page 1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 141

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 am 
I have recently noticed a leak after heavy rain which appears at the head and side of my window (see pictures). I suspect that there could be a problem with the PVC damp proofing that goes between the cavities above the window but don’t want to do anything drastic like removing the frame or chipping the plaster off the heads until I get some more advice. The house has been built for 22 years and ...

Read more : Leak from above PVC window | Views : 1899 | Replies : 3

Post subject: electro osmatic probs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm 
hi folks. I have an electro osmatic dpc in my living room, 36" stone walls. Just noticed rising damp on one wall, and when the skirting board was removed i found approx. 8' of wire missing! My problem is that the whole system does not seem to be earthed. It looks like the wire forms a complete circuit, both ends of the wire running back to the transformer. Am i right in saying one end ...

Read more : electro osmatic probs | Views : 894 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Water under laminate floor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:21 pm 
Our radiator was leaking water which went under the laminate floor through the side of the radiator pipe. We discovered this when the sides of the laminate swell and when stepping on it, water came on to the surface of the floor. The area that seems to be affected is in the hallway and approximately 1m x 0.5m.

The leak in the radiator has now been fixed and we have hired a de-humidifier for a ...

Read more : Water under laminate floor | Views : 2777 | Replies : 2

Post subject: repair to failed tanking
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:45 pm 
I have a split level property showing damp due to negative hydrostatic pressure on the lower level where the back wall meets the outside wall.
I need some advice on the height of tanking I will need to sort the problem.
With all the rain we've had, I don't expect what damp is showing to get any worse, so if I hack off the plaster 6inches above the highest point and tank it, will the ...

Read more : repair to failed tanking | Views : 2185 | Replies : 14

Post subject: Water under wooden floor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm 
Hi, been having an ongoing struggle trying to sort out why I have large areas of water under the front room floor (inches deep puddles in places). The floor is timber joist and sleeper wall type and has a 2' to 3' in places air gap underneath.
The underside of the floor boards and joists are wet and have droplets of water on them (condensation?) and it really smells bad under there.
The house is ...

Read more : Water under wooden floor | Views : 4795 | Replies : 16

Post subject: How to repair electro-osmosis wire please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:53 pm 
Hello my hubby 'accidently' kango hammered the electro-osmosis wire buried in the wall - any one out there know how to repair it please? :help:
:scratch: poor old house is damp enough without this happening..... :cb thanks....

Read more : How to repair electro-osmosis wire please | Views : 1165 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Outside crack in wall
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 am 
Howdy..
Just moved into a new house which is roughly 350 years old.. maybe more. There's a bit of work that needs doing but nothing essential, just patching really.

The outside wall, which is probably a foot and a half thick has a crack running in it. Its not a massive crack and doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere (i.e. from the ground or previous work). The crack hasn't increased in size for some ...

Read more : Outside crack in wall | Views : 974 | Replies : 1

Post subject: kitchen floor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:33 am 
I have a fifth floor flat that has sound proofing floor. I also had a slow leak from the washing machine. We fixed the leak - didn't think about the floor. Then I replaced the floor from vynyl to vynyl adding in a layer of hardboard. At this point we noticed dampness - on the advice of the flooring company we left it to dry for a week with nothing on it. The new floor ...

Read more : kitchen floor | Views : 844 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Damp Kitchen Wall - Need a little advice
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 pm 
Over the past week I've ripped out the horrible old kitchen, and this weekend, taken all the old knackered plaster back to bare brick. The kitchen wall to the garden (see photos) showed signs of damp, and when I hacked off the plaster, revealed some kind of old ribbed bitumen sheeting pinned all the way across the external wall and 1 metre along each adjoining walls. (The outside of this wall rarely gets the full ...

Read more : Damp Kitchen Wall - Need a little advice | Views : 7327 | Replies : 15

Post subject: Damp in Third Floor Flat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 am 
We have a problem with "blown" plaster/paint on the inside of all exterior walls in a Victorian stone house converted into flats 4 yrs ago. Trouble is we are on the top (third) floor and any exterior remedial/inspection work would require scaffolding. Expensive. A surveyor has looked at it from the ground and has said stonework/pointing looks to be in good condition. All walls were replastered and painted during the conversions. Effected walls first turned ...

Read more : Damp in Third Floor Flat | Views : 1289 | Replies : 4

[ Total topics 1408 Go to page 1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 141

Last 10 active topics

Painting & Decorating Forum

No new posts Axus precision edge (or perhaps not so precise)
View the latest post
No new posts Paint Stripper Recommendations
View the latest post

Central Heating & Boilers

No new posts CHURCHILL IMSTOR HEATING SYSTEM
View the latest post
No new posts My son dual channel programmer - heating not coming on!
View the latest post

Bargain Tools

No new posts 5 ah ryobi batteries arnt cheap
View the latest post

Carpentry/Joinery Forum

No new posts "Best" fixing method for engineered oak flooring?
View the latest post

Building Forum

No new posts remove plaster for face-fit joist hanger
View the latest post
No new posts A little concerned
View the latest post

The Grumpy corner

No new posts Feet
View the latest post

Lighting

No new posts Light switch only works when one is on.
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 779701 | Total topics 91232 | Total members 45617

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact