DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:37 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

News News of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

Site map of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems » Forum : Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

[ Total topics 1382 Go to page 1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139

Post subject: Breach of DPC by Neighbour.....What Action can I take???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 pm 
Hi All

On 30 May this year my garage developed an 'internal river' following a massive downpour the night before. On investigating I discovered the neighbour the other side of the wall has at some stage landscaped his garden with decking and has banked up dirt and shingle against the wall breaching the garage dpc by approx 3 coarses!

Funnily enough he said it's not his fault!! I claimed via my insurance but they won't ...

Read more : Breach of DPC by Neighbour.....What Action can I take??? | Views : 1255 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Damp....help!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:25 pm 
Hi All,

I’ve noticed a couple of damp patches in my hallway at the bottom near the skirting. It’s actually a wall that isn’t around the perimeter of the house, i.e. the wall divides the hallway and the living room. Obviously I’m quite concerned about this so I’m hoping someone out there might be able to answer a few questions for me.

I bought the house about a year ago and I remember seeing in ...

Read more : Damp....help! | Views : 899 | Replies : 0

Post subject: Air Bricks, Damp in Cellar and more smells
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
This really is a great site, well done.

I have a room/cellar underneath the main stairs of old converted victorian house. The type that lead down from the ground floor but stop above the basement which is 50/50 above/below ground.

One side leads onto the path way and the other the garden. Inside the cellar at the top there are 2 air bricks.

I use the room for storage, but it generates some musty smells, ...

Read more : Air Bricks, Damp in Cellar and more smells | Views : 1457 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Damp Problem on Sloping Ceiling
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:18 pm 
Our house is 1900s brick detached 2-storey house which is 'L-shaped', with pitched roofs on both sections of the 'L' then a join in the middle. The back part of the house has lower ceiling heights and the edges are sloping under the eaves of the roof.

We have recently had additional loft insulation installed and the landing re-plastered but noticed this morning that there is a water mark near the corner of the landing ...

Read more : Damp Problem on Sloping Ceiling | Views : 930 | Replies : 0

Post subject: fitting a damp proff membrain in a block wall?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 am 
Hi, Hopefully a very simple question that someone can answer for me. I am going to build a concrete block wall over the next few days between mine and our next door house. It will be around 12 foot long and 8 foot high and we are going to make it out of the large (9" I think) hollow concrete blocks but the bottom 6 " will be solid blocks. We want to fit a ...

Read more : fitting a damp proff membrain in a block wall? | Views : 1443 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Acorn Drain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:43 pm 
Can anyone tell me what an acorn drain is? We're having our drive done and been told they'll install one, but I've never heard of them.

Thanks

Read more : Acorn Drain | Views : 1931 | Replies : 4

Post subject: Damp on Block Shed.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 pm 
I have a small block work shed in my garden. I think it was formerly a coal shed. It's really handy for me as I don't have a garage for tool storage and it's a lot more secure than my timber shed.

What I want to know is this. Is there a product avalable that I can paint on the outside that will

1) make it more waterproof as it gets damp in the winter ...

Read more : Damp on Block Shed. | Views : 1125 | Replies : 6

Post subject: Bathroom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:49 pm 
Have just found wet floorboards under bath by skirting boards where water has dripped between bath and tiles, the boards are also crumbly, If I let them dry out then seal them to make them waterproof will they be ok? obviously I will tackle the leak problem too. Please tell me they dont have to be replaced..

Read more : Bathroom | Views : 763 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Damp course/render
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm 
Hi There. Whilst repairing some external render to the side of the house I have rendered over the visible black beading of the damp course. The house is of brick construction with a cavity and was built in 1910. At the foot of the wall is block paving driveway on a slope so it drains well. Should I try to chip away the new render to expose the beading again or will I be safe ...

Read more : Damp course/render | Views : 1036 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Damp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:39 am 
I have rising damp in my victorian terrace. The damp is along the length of the entry wall. The entry itself is slabbed and protected from rain. What could be casuing the damp? Could the slabbed entry, which looks relatively new, have something to do with it? How can I tell if its bridged the dpc?

Also the brickwork is damaged in certain places - could this damaged brickwork be to blame for the whole ...

Read more : Damp | Views : 851 | Replies : 1

[ Total topics 1382 Go to page 1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139

Last 10 active topics

Lighting

No new posts Replacing incandescent fitting with led
View the latest post

Painting & Decorating Forum

No new posts Varnish over paint
View the latest post

General DIY forum

No new posts Any refrigerant guys out there?
View the latest post
No new posts Butt hinge and UPVC door
View the latest post

Electric Forum UK

No new posts Adding a plug socket - best option
View the latest post

Central Heating & Boilers

No new posts Hello please help this damsel in distress!
View the latest post

Building Forum

No new posts Mould appearing beneath Breather Membrane...?
View the latest post
No new posts Concrete floor garage
View the latest post
No new posts Garage
View the latest post

Computers

No new posts CCTV Remote Viewing
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 768148 | Total topics 89532 | Total members 44656

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact