DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 5:51 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

News News of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

Site map of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems » Forum : Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

[ Total topics 1408 Go to page 1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 141

Post subject: Do my double glazed windows need to be sealed with mastic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 pm 
My house had 10 windows and a door fitted back in 2005. We bought the house in 2007 and noticed damp in the upstairs bedrooms. We've only got around to tackling it and upon further inspection it looks like the damp is coming in near the sides of each window.

We've inspected the windows outside by chipping off a bit of the render. It appears that the windows have been put in place and no ...

Read more : Do my double glazed windows need to be sealed with mastic | Views : 6862 | Replies : 6

Post subject: Mold discovered behind the removed skirting boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:03 am 
Hi,

I removed the skirting boards in the living room, in order to replace the carpet flooring with engineered wood flooring.

At the bottom of an internal wall, some mold was revealed when the skirting board came off. See the pictures here:

How can I properly remove this mold and ensure it does not crawl back in? Though none of the other walls in this room suffers from this, is there a way to understand ...

Read more : Mold discovered behind the removed skirting boards | Views : 1512 | Replies : 6

Post subject: Efflorescence
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 am 
The efflorescence on two of our internal walls (the only original brickwork in a 19th century cottage) has been so bad that we have had one wall replaced completely and the other one has had a new membrane inserted. The first wall is no longer a worry, but the second still causes me some concern as some of the bricks are still very 'salty' - although I have chopped out the worst culprits. I have ...

Read more : Efflorescence | Views : 2263 | Replies : 5

Post subject: How do I repair this (photo included) please?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 pm 
The concrete sill has disintegrated - what would be the best method to restore same?

Attachment:
concretepercent20damage_144.jpg

Read more : How do I repair this (photo included) please? | Views : 1432 | Replies : 11

Post subject: Bay Window
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
I want to remove the slates from my bay window so that i fix them properly and stop them from slipping. Whilst they are removed i anticipate that i will have to renew a lot of what is behind the slate but i dont know what i am going to find and i want to be ready if somebody can tell me what i will need to put under the slates.

Read more : Bay Window | Views : 666 | Replies : 1

Post subject: Path at side of the house is too high, Rising damp
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am 
Hi there

Been having this problem with damp for a while now had a bloke around yesterday and said that the path is too high and needs to be dug at least a ft down then external wall plastered and but clean chipping there for drainage.. our only problems is it not our land its our neighbours and there is a sewage pipe there too, so this may need relocating,This never came up on the ...

Read more : Path at side of the house is too high, Rising damp | Views : 1119 | Replies : 10

Post subject: dry rot ??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 pm 
hi guys im in the middle of prepping a kitchen , room has been re boarded and plastered , and today ive finished painting it , but in this house there is very musty strong smell , and after today spent say 4 hours there almost felt as if my eyes and throat was getting sore , nothing to do with the paint as ive used it lots of times and room was well ventilated. ...

Read more : dry rot ?? | Views : 916 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Damp patch in corner of downstair bedroom, on skirting board
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:43 am 
Hi,
I have just bought a barn conversion who has been converted about a year ago and problems are already starting to show... I need some advice please....
The other day, I noticed that the skirting board in the bedroom corner was damp and so was the carpet in this small corner. We check under the carpet and it looks dry but there is definately damp coming from a very small corner behing the skirting ...

Read more : Damp patch in corner of downstair bedroom, on skirting board | Views : 1546 | Replies : 12

Post subject: Damp inside external door.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:55 pm 
We have a kitchen extension, completed in 1985, the wooden door was replaced with UPVC in about 2000. We are now starting to get damp and mould spores appearing on the inside walls, surrounding the door. I have also noticed that the mortar appears to be leaching salts. This particular corner of the house gets the prevailing wind and rain.

Some pictures are attached.

I am assuming damp is being driven through the outer wall ...

Read more : Damp inside external door. | Views : 6120 | Replies : 14

Post subject: 1930s house, mortar is falling out like sand under DPC!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:23 pm 
Thanks for reading!

We have a half head height space under the house I have started using for storage. The wall along the back of the house under the DPC level has worried me for some time. The mortar between the bricks is/has been falling out, just like sand.

Two or 3 years ago we had cracks at the back of the house dealt with via the insurance company who treated it as subsidence due ...

Read more : 1930s house, mortar is falling out like sand under DPC!! | Views : 6182 | Replies : 15

[ Total topics 1408 Go to page 1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 141

Last 10 active topics

Central Heating & Boilers

No new posts New Nest install Hot Water not working
View the latest post
No new posts in-line scale reducers for central heating system ?
View the latest post

Plumbing Forum

No new posts Radiator tail to valve elbow
View the latest post
No new posts CRANE Radiator Valve
View the latest post

Lighting

No new posts Help wiring fitting new dual gang switch with old wiring
View the latest post

Vehicle maintenance & Repair

No new posts OBD2 devices
View the latest post
No new posts Is this car speaker knackered?
View the latest post

Building Forum

No new posts Insulating single skin wall
View the latest post
No new posts Cheapest way of excavation disposal?
View the latest post

Computers

No new posts Not a good idea
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 781371 | Total topics 91456 | Total members 45732

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact