DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

News News of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

Site map of Damp Proofing and Remedial problems » Forum : Damp Proofing and Remedial problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

[ Total topics 1410 Go to page 1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 141

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 am 
Can anyone help me - I had decking laid last year - I live in the first floor flat with stairs down to the garden and the wall that actually looks onto the garden is my downstairs neighbour. She says that because the decking is laid right up to the wall this has caused her damp course to fail. I have read some stuff about this now and think I probably need to get the ...

Read more : Decking causing damp? | Views : 1472 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Re-occuring damp and value of a guarantee?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:09 pm 
My terraced house was built in 1880. When I bought it 12 years ago it
had timber and damp work done with a 25 yr guarantee in the kitchen.
The damp reappeared on an inside arch wall (tried to attach a pic but wot upload) between kitchen/dining area (both sides) 8 foot away from the outer wall about 5 years ago. I didnt do anything about it at the time because I didnt want to ...

Read more : Re-occuring damp and value of a guarantee? | Views : 654 | Replies : 3

Post subject: Damp patches on outside walls
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 am 
Between the side of my house and the garage is a covered concrete walkway so the wall is shielded from rain. For a few weeks I have noticed a damp patch down from the DPC to the concrete which appears to be drying then re-appears. I have checked the inside wall with a damp meter but it is completely dry.

A couple days ago the damp patch appeared looking very damp and the stain had ...

Read more : Damp patches on outside walls | Views : 870 | Replies : 1

Post subject: External render plinth
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:00 am 
My 1930's house has a concrete plinth which runs round the property up to about 2ft.

Some of this is starting to come away, or has fallen off. I understand this is a "splashguard" for the lower part of the walls.

How do I go about repairing this?

Thanks in advance.

Read more : External render plinth | Views : 6406 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Brick Planter Waterproofing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:52 pm 
Hi peeps!

I've just finished building a brick planter which attaches directly onto the brick wall of the house. Like this:

===========
|__________|

My question is how do I waterproof the bricks of the house? The planter itself isn't so much of an issue as I expect it to get wet in all weather and its built with drainage holes anyway, but I'm worried that the constant damp of the soil in contact with the ...

Read more : Brick Planter Waterproofing | Views : 4047 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Damp Problems? Mortar loose on my house
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm 
Please see images-

Underneatht the blue bricks (is this the dpc?) the bricks seem fine - i.e. not crumbling or wet but the mortar has crumbled away.

My first question is - is all I need to get done is the brink repointed.

Should I be exploring where the damp has come from? The air brick is clear (if this has any relevance). However there is a strip of grit which ...

Read more : Damp Problems? Mortar loose on my house | Views : 1349 | Replies : 4

Post subject: mould within loft after installation of loft insulation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:06 pm 
Hi, I have had insulation put in my loft (and cavitity wall insulation) and now the loft is damp with mould on the inside of the roof. The installer came back and pulled it back away from the vents however this has made no difference. I presume I should install tile vents, which look quite easy fit, although pricey however, I am unsure as to how many I should fit. My house is a converted ...

Read more : mould within loft after installation of loft insulation | Views : 1328 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Help with Possible Damp/Mould
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 am 
Hi There

Could someone have a look at the photos I have attached and tell me if they think I have a damp/mould problem. I noticed a couple of black spots appearing on the celing in the bedroom (I live in a 3-storey top floor flat) so went into the loft to check if there was a leak. I couldn't see anything but thought the roof of the loft looked strange. The flats were built ...

Read more : Help with Possible Damp/Mould | Views : 771 | Replies : 2

Post subject: Waterproofing inside garage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:04 pm 
Now the summers here and i can empty everything out...

I have a garage thats built out of blocks, one side where it joins neighbours there was no room to render the outside. When it rains heavy the blocks get damp on the inside. I am looking for some sort of paint coating that i can apply and it will seal the inside. Then i can paint that wall white like the rest.

What sort ...

Read more : Waterproofing inside garage | Views : 2697 | Replies : 9

Post subject: Dampness On Upstairs Chimney Breast - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm 
We have had a damp problem in our attic bedroom on the chimney breast for the last seven years, around the time we moved into our 100 year old house. Over this time we have had five different builders who have tried to repair our damp problem by concentrating on the outside chimney area. These repairs have included our entire flashing and felt being renewed and any suspect tiles being replaced. The raggle depth is ...

Read more : Dampness On Upstairs Chimney Breast - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Views : 2143 | Replies : 12

[ Total topics 1410 Go to page 1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 141

Last 10 active topics

Building Forum

No new posts Brick or wood?
View the latest post
No new posts Using two 4x2 instead of one 4x4 for structural purposes
View the latest post
No new posts Moving Toilet - New Soil Pipework Installation
View the latest post

Carpentry/Joinery Forum

No new posts Staircase overhang
View the latest post
No new posts Lamona /howdens larder intergrated fridge and freezer instal
View the latest post

Electric Forum UK

No new posts Single socket into double
View the latest post

General DIY forum

No new posts Flush fit / inset electric fire query
View the latest post
No new posts New Shed/Workshop Guidance required from the esteemed :-)
View the latest post

Central Heating & Boilers

No new posts Override Polypipe Underfloor Heating Thermostat
View the latest post

communications and broadband

No new posts iphone question, just wondering.
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 781496 | Total topics 91474 | Total members 45747

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact