It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:09 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

News News of Carpentry/Joinery Forum

Site map of Carpentry/Joinery Forum » Forum : Carpentry/Joinery Forum

Wood working questions and answers in here please

[ Total topics 4898 Go to page 1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490

Post subject: Pulling together information for a Newal and bannister kit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:06 pm 
Here's my first question to this forum, so I hope you can help. I would consider myself to have a 'natural ability' at joinery and have recently built a decking area and shed. I've been asked to convert a short stair case from plasterboard to wooden bannister, spindles etc. Can you point towards websites that can show me how these are constructed? How is the newel post secured etc.

Cheers

Read more : Pulling together information for a Newal and bannister kit | Views : 6386 | Replies : 5

Post subject: skirting board cut funny angle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:02 pm 
Hi there, i hope one of you joiners can get me out of a sticky sutuation.
Im currently putting new skirting boards on the walls in the bedroom, most of the corners are fine 90 degrees. on one wall the angle is approx 130 degrees. if im thinking right, i need to make my cuts at 65 degrees to join the boards properly, only problem is my mitre box and electric miter saw only go ...

Read more : skirting board cut funny angle | Views : 2704 | Replies : 4

Post subject: Constructing a Hidden Door
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:32 pm 
My boyfriend and I are currently finishing our basement and part of our floor plan includes a 6 foot (built in wall)salt water aquarium. Behind the aquarium will be a small room that will hold supplies, laundry tub, pump, etc.
We currently have framing in place with a "closet sized" door way leading into the room behind aquarium.

We would like to contruct a hidden door. I suggested building a hutch/bookcase that swings in, but ...

Read more : Constructing a Hidden Door | Views : 13397 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Help with frame for tank
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:10 pm 
Am away to build a big fish tank in to my wall 6 x 2 x 2ft 12mm think glass ways about half ton fill i think. i need help noing how best to do this is size of wood? i was think 4x2"
I also would like to no what joints to use for this. am on a 1st floor flat so need the load spared over the floor
Any help would be great. ...

Read more : Help with frame for tank | Views : 1945 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Door and window canopy help
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:44 am 
Hi all

I am in the process of having a porch built by my brother,he is doing the brickwork then i have got to fit the door and window and make the roofing for it.
I am not sure how to begin the roof for it,it needs to slope up to the house from the porch and go over the window,i want to use roof tiles on it,i can supply pictures of what i meen ...

Read more : Door and window canopy help | Views : 7456 | Replies : 18

Post subject: real oak wood (tonge and groove style)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 am 
hi iam about to lay this type of floor i have bought a nail gun to do te job but i have been told to nail it through the tongue and then was told to nail it through the groove please help thankyou ...steve

Read more : real oak wood (tonge and groove style) | Views : 3894 | Replies : 12

Post subject: Laminate flooring question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:39 pm 
My apolgies if this is in the wrong section, it seemed the most relevant.

I'm getting a new kitchen. This includes laminate flooring. I was going to put this in first over the whole floor, with the kitchen installed over it, not I've been told this is a bad idea as the flooring can expand or contract moving the carcasses and causing problems. If this is the case then I'm assuming I should have the ...

Read more : Laminate flooring question | Views : 2764 | Replies : 5

Post subject: Door Saddle boards
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm 
Hi Folks,

I've got about 5 wooden door saddles to put down over woodfloor/tiles but I'm struggling to get two things right. They're about an 3/4 inch thick and 6 inches wide.

The first problem is a nice cut around the door architrave, what's the best technique?

The second is - I've used masonary nails to pin the first saddle down to the concrete floor (between the gaps in the two wood floors) but the ...

Read more : Door Saddle boards | Views : 7523 | Replies : 4

Post subject: Concealed door closers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 am 
Does anyone know how to take the spring tension off a concealed door closer?

I've got a couple of doors which need taking off to have a bit trimmed off the bottom, but they're fitted with these:-

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=55437&ts=40839

If I just unscrew them from the door frame they'll spring shut and I'll never get them fitted again. What's the trick with them?

I'm going to post the same question on TT

Cheers

Read more : Concealed door closers | Views : 2954 | Replies : 4

Post subject: Building Own Furniture - Books / Magazines / Plans?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm 
Hi,
I would like to build various items of furniture (a trunk, some garden furniture and a chast of drawers) and am after a decent reference of modern looking furniture. Can anybody reccomend a decent reference? I have googled and amazoned and can;t find anything that grabs me. Has anybody seen the american publication?http://www.popularwoodworking.com/
Is it any good? Worth signing up for a free year (buy a year get one free)...

Any help would ne ...

Read more : Building Own Furniture - Books / Magazines / Plans? | Views : 2902 | Replies : 7

[ Total topics 4898 Go to page 1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490

Last 10 active topics

Electric Forum UK

No new posts getting phone line upstairs
View the latest post
No new posts New economy 7 heaters
View the latest post

Central Heating & Boilers

No new posts Replacing old heating timer with Nest
View the latest post
No new posts Wiring assistance PLEASE!! NEST, UFH, CH
View the latest post

Tool Talk

No new posts Sander...Orbital/Multi sander/detail sander?
View the latest post

Building Forum

No new posts Fix botched bay pillars
View the latest post
No new posts Piling Foundations over a sewer
View the latest post

General DIY forum

No new posts Where’s the best place to purchase bathroom cupboards ?
View the latest post

Painting & Decorating Forum

No new posts Paint peeling off wall, what to treat wall with?
View the latest post

WELCOME

No new posts Hello
View the latest post

Login

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Statistics

Statistics

Total posts 781495 | Total topics 91474 | Total members 45747

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact