DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:17 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: New Workshop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi
I have been fortunate to get a new workshop, its an old cow barn measuring 100ft x 45ft so plenty of room for all sorts of toys!
I already have a few toys:
Couple of mitre saws
Spindle molder
Router table
Pillar drill
Compressor

I am thinking of slowly getting the following
Bandsaw
Decent big table saw
Planer/Thicknesser
Possibly a welder
Dust extraction

what else would people recommend

I am in process of getting new electric site single and 3 phase, all of my existing stuff is single phase but I get the impression that there is some good second hand 3 phase stuff around a very good pricing, my sparky is asking what ampage do I need on the three phase which will have a bearing on the 75 meters of underground cable that I have to buy - any advice

Many thanks to any that reply

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: New Workshop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm 
BANNED

:welcomeuhm:

IMO you couldn't have chosen a better Forum to poze these questions.
On technical matters, you couldn't wish for a more helpful and obliging mix of highly skilled and qualified professionals and Experts by Experience.
I don't claim to be in either 'camp', but on a much smaller scale have progressed a small way along the same path as you are now sort of starting.
I'll be following your progress, if I may, and chipping in if I have come across anything that you're facing - tho' it will only be an 'opinion' from a learner.

:thumbleft: ..... Best Wishes ..... :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm 
BANNED

Three phase:
I sounded that out for the much short distance from the 3 ph mains to my home.
After ringing my Elec supplier - a major - and being shuttled to SIX different Depts, I was offered Economy 7, or some such ... :wtf:
I spoke to the team-leader of a gang re-connecting a 3ph user after a 'blow-out' - a most helpful person who had worked in the industry prior to Marketization.
The long and short of it was he advized me to go down the Single to Three phase conversion path.
(The # of sub-sub-sub-contractors involved would be beyond belief, and rather expensive.

IFF you are in doubt about your installation, this link may prove helpful.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/single-phase-to-three-phase-converter-advice-please-t87173.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm 

Hello and welcome!

The power supply will be very much dependent on the biggest kit you can use at any time. For a one man band that is liley to be something like:

Spindle moulder (5 to 10 HP)
Power feeder (1HP)
Dust extraction (3 to 5HP)

or 9 to 16HP in total. With 1HP approximately equal to 750 watts that's a total of 6750 to 12k watts in run mode, but older machinery may draw twice the amperage at startup that it uses in run mode. The maximum would therefore be around 24k watts, or on 415 volt around 57 Amps. That has no allowance for heat, light, other kit being used ate the same time, but it's worth noting that small industrial units I've had in the past seemd to have 60 to 100 Amp 415 volt TP&N boards which were adequate for most purposes. It's only when I weny CNC (10HP spindles, 20HP vacuum, 20HP extractor, etc) that I needed to find a place with serious electrics

Sparlies, please note: I am not a sparkie, or even a sparkler or a sparklet, so my calculations may well be wrong. If they are, please correct me. Ta!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man