DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: New trailer regulations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm 
diesel demon

This is more for those that tow for as part of their work but relevant to all that tow
Vosa now have a few more things they can persecute the working motorist with regarding trailer use, these include:-
Breakaway cables (cable to pull brakes on on braked trailers), if this is frayed or kinked or if a covered cable, if cover is split/worn then £60 fine
Brakes not working the trailer put off road
No number plate then £60 fine
Wrong number plate then £60 & 3 points

Be careful out there guys & if your livelihood depends on your licence these points soon add up

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author village idiot has received thanks - 5: AAA.Handy.Man, Argyll, darrenba, Dave54, steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 am 
BANNED

::b
MANY thanks for that info, V I.
Will you post the URL / Ref. for this, please? ... :thumbleft: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:44 am 

I don't use a trailer but apart from the 'frayed cover' (which I think is a bit nitpicking) I would consider the other 'faults' to be justified offences anyway :dunno:

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am 

If a sleeved or covered cable is damaged it can cause it to fail - the aussies have a warrant of fitness on trailers what I think is a good thing they can be checked and the id checked

Also beware of licencing rules it use to be if you passed your test between 1/1/97 and 19/1/2013 you are restricted to 750kg MAM unles you have a B+E licence

edit. knew I see it somewhere https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

For this message the author flash22 has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 pm 
BANNED

BE < 09.12.74

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:53 pm 
BANNED

flash22 wrote:
If a sleeved or covered cable is damaged it can cause it to fail - the aussies have a warrant of fitness on trailers what I think is a good thing they can be checked and the id checked

Also beware of licencing rules it use to be if you passed your test between 1/1/97 and 19/1/2013 you are restricted to 750kg MAM unles you have a B+E licence

edit. knew I see it somewhere https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

MANY thanks for that link, flash

The idea of having an 'MoT' type test for caravans has been mooted for years, and if/when that comes to fruition a similar one for all trailers will certain arrive at the same time or very soon after.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm 

When you see some of the junk people drag around, thats a good thing.
People that tow as part of their jobs/businesses mostly seem to have half decent trailers nowadays.
Nothing on the list id say sounded unreasonable... the strength of a frayed or kinked wire rope is seriously compromised by fraying or kinks.

We had a guy bring a trailer into us for a repair last year, wanted some new plates to mount the suspension on if i remember correctly. Towed it to our yard with a scabby old stub axle unit g-clamped onto it :lol: :wtf:
Another one, a home made job, someone had knocked up from some angle iron. Bought it in to have a sheet of ally chequer cut and folded for the floor...cut and folded it, as we dropped it in to position, it wedged itself, so gave it a bit of a kick, it suddenly dropped down into place....because the side of the trailer snapped off :lol: :lol: :lol:

For this message the author Hitch has received thanks - 2: Dave54, village idiot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:30 pm 

Hitch wrote:
When you see some of the junk people drag around, thats a good thing.
People that tow as part of their jobs/businesses mostly seem to have half decent trailers nowadays.
Nothing on the list id say sounded unreasonable... the strength of a frayed or kinked wire rope is seriously compromised by fraying or kinks.

We had a guy bring a trailer into us for a repair last year, wanted some new plates to mount the suspension on if i remember correctly. Towed it to our yard with a scabby old stub axle unit g-clamped onto it :lol: :wtf:
Another one, a home made job, someone had knocked up from some angle iron. Bought it in to have a sheet of ally chequer cut and folded for the floor...cut and folded it, as we dropped it in to position, it wedged itself, so gave it a bit of a kick, it suddenly dropped down into place....because the side of the trailer snapped off :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few years back a mate of mine down here had a business servicing and repairing caravans, horse boxes and trailers.
It was an eye opener. Knackered wheel bearings, tyres, brakes completely sh***ed out. Rust! :shock: There was one bloke I remember him saying about who apparently complained bitterly about the bill for basically a complete mechanical rebuild of his horse box, that he was using to transport horses worth many thousands.

Should be some sort of official test. Certainly for anything braked.

Once I saw a large 4 wheel box type trailer become detached from a van on the M5. It was a way off coming towards us in the other carriageway. It overtook the towing van, and hit the Armco in the outside lane which stopped it. No other vehicles involved. The Mway wasn't that busy. but it makes you think about who is towing what.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm 

There must be 1000's of folk towing illegally everyday anyway. I know a few who didn't realise they couldn't legally tow with the driving license they had. I'm not sure of the exact year(mid 90's?) but if you passed your test after that you have quite a few restrictions that older licence holder don't have.
Towing,driving certain light goods vehicles etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:15 pm 
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5rK2GXYgEc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:20 pm 
diesel demon

AAA.Handy.Man wrote:
::b
MANY thanks for that info, V I.
Will you post the URL / Ref. for this, please? ... :thumbleft: :thumbright:

I will see what I can find but we got the info from another department of the company I work for (we are agents for Brian James & Bateson trailers)

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:30 pm 
diesel demon

steviejoiner74 wrote:
There must be 1000's of folk towing illegally everyday anyway. I know a few who didn't realise they couldn't legally tow with the driving license they had. I'm not sure of the exact year(mid 90's?) but if you passed your test after that you have quite a few restrictions that older licence holder don't have.
Towing,driving certain light goods vehicles etc.

Being an old fart who passed his test 10 years previously I had what is commonly called "grandfather's rights" which mean I can drive up to 7.5T & also have towing privileges. As I occasionally have to go out in said vehicles for work I hold a Drivers card (Tacho) & a Drivers CPC card.
I got pulled once in the same week I had misplaced my tacho card, I had been told I could get away with a manual printout, this advice turned out to be wrong. As I had been very good with my manual entries on card & was honest about what had happened they cut me a break & gave me a warning but I was confined to the layby until my work confirmed where I was in my non driving duties (we have to fob in & out), it was also a mark against us on the traffic light system they use so we got a bit more attention for a while & I had a "meeting" with my line manager & the transport manager

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:58 pm 

1997 is the cut off year, I got my bike licence before that but not my car licence so I have the restrictions on towing - but never felt the need to tow any thing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 pm 

Got mine in '76 so have all the benefits that an older licence brings. Shame I never had cause to use them!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the heads up! Got car licence in 2000 so had to sit trailer test in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk