Time zone: Europe/London

Would you use these if same price as ordinary spacers
Yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: New tilespacers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 pm 
BANNED

Has anyone here tried the new Multispacers yet? the 5 in 1 removable tilespacers that are incremental packing shims as well??? also if you had a pack of 2mm's and you needed a 1mm 3mm 4mm or 5mm spacer the 2mm you to hand can be used

Attachments:
multispacer.jpg
multispacer.jpg [ 6.38 KiB | Viewed 1441 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Not sure if I would use them for tiling, but as a spacer they could proove quite handy.

Most people when tiling do it quickly and so in my opinion it is much easier if you have all the spacers the same size and then you are not fiddling about. I am sure that some people would use them though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:29 pm 
BANNED

I tend to just use standard spacers and wedges, it works so well that I don't need to change the way I do things.

Post subject: hola
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:47 pm 
BANNED

hi all
point taken but they are intended to be used as ordinary tile spacers they just come into there own when you need an incremental packing shim and the nail pull tab aids removal also hand made and wavy edge tiles need differing spacing
regards
steve :hello2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 pm 
Borders Bodger

Hi Steve,

I dissed this a bit in your other posting, but I have been thinking about the final bit of tiling I did in the bath room and think would have actually found these useful.

Where you have the final vertical or horizontal run of tiles to put on and they are snapped to fit, some times the gap is not consistent - especially vertically where you may have a wall slope to deal with.
I ended up using the standard 2mm spacers and packing them in together or twisting them or whatever to get a snug 2mm fit against the existing tile run. Your spacer could have sorted that out, I think. :-)

Still not convinced about their use in general tiling though, but maybe I'll try them out :thumbright:

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 pm 
BANNED

hi hoovie
your getting the idea now mate they are just to be used as an ordinary spacer but they are there in your tool bag when you come across niggling little problems
cheers mate
steve :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 pm 
BANNED

you mentioned you had developed these on the screwfix forum quite a few months ago. how are things going, i.e. are they in production yet?

i think they are a good idea, providing the cost is comparable to standard spacers. how about a free box to trial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

owen wrote:
you mentioned you had developed these on the screwfix forum quite a few months ago. how are things going, i.e. are they in production yet?

i think they are a good idea, providing the cost is comparable to standard spacers. how about a free box to trial?

I'm sure if you PM him owen he will send his address, it was removed for his own safety by one of the mods :wink:

I'd be interested to see how you get on with these, the more I think about it the more I am warming to the idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 pm 
BANNED

i wouldnt hold your breath owen I emailed him my address two years ago and am still waiting for a box :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:20 pm 
BANNED

Hi all especially TIm
sorry about not getting you some samples out i moved to spain then and was in a bit of a turmoil etc etc no excuses though PM me and i will get some samples to you ASAP my brother in law sends them from the UK
since posting on screwfix i have had a mould made in China and have a factory in the midlands making them they will RETAIL for very much the same as anything else on the market... ie £1.00 per 100 but to get TRADE prices down i have to have them made in china with a bigger tool but thats currently getting sorted... I am working on a distribution deal with a massive UK company so should be in about 6000 shops by feb 2008

Sorry again Tim just PM me and i will get some to you OK as i want these to succeed and the more people that know about them and use them the better as word of mouth is better than any advertising

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:27 pm 
Borders Bodger

£1 per hundred is 3 to 5 times 'normal' spacers, though. Think you need your bulk deal!
A too high initial price will put off people I think :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm 
BANNED

I just don't get how it would be better for me, purely for handmade tiles, that's it, it has no other uses apart from novelty value

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:05 am 
BANNED

hi hoovie and bathstyle
hoovie
thats the way the UK manufactures charge mate thats why i have to go to china to get them made S**t british government tax everything materials electric labour etc etc... but you go to BnQ and you will pay 1p per spacer RETAIL...

Bathstyle (Mate)

you are over complicating things here just use them as a tile spacer as you would any other spacer they come into there own when you need a packing shim so you dont need to use cardboard or matchsticks when the ORDINARY spacers you have dont give you INCREMENTAL packing/support

They are not a novelty just a tile spacer that does more than anything else on the market

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 am 
BANNED

What you have done is over complicate a simple method with a novelty idea, if I want a spacer , I reach into my pouch and get one out, without fiddling around to find the right size I simply push it in between the tiles, if I need a bigger spacer or a smaller one I use a red wedge.

Remember, a millimetre is a big distance in the world of tiling, your product will not allow for the irregularities in standard wall and floor tiles as the increments are too big, therefore the wedge wins hands down.

Just my opinion and I do hope it works out for you although i know I am right and would never need to use them apart from on handmade tiles or tiles with huge irregularities which is rare for me and a lot of other tilers. You need people to be buying these things day in day out, I just cant see that happening.

Why not invent something useful like a spacer with one prong as a wedge and the other three as a 2mm spacer, sooo much better :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 am 
BANNED

hi Bath style
hey man thats a great idea mate but just to register a patent in the UK with solicitors fees is about 8k then about 10k for the tooling then 4k to register the patent in every country you require im glad that you have put your idea in the public domain though as your idea sounds great and i will at least look into it via the patents office

there is one inherent problem though with wedges (in my humble opinion) the bigger the support needed the farther you have to put the wedge in? (correct)? What happens when you hit the wall with the wedge and you need to bite or cut off the end to get the right height of support you need... (hassle)

Question for you
how long have you been a tiler? are you time served? have you got the money to patent your idea? if so go for it mate its a hard slog but will worth it in the end

regards
Steve

Time zone: Europe/London