DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: New thermostat.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am 

I'd like a new thermostat for my CH system, the existing one dates back to about 1970 and it appears to lack some sensitivity. When I get set in the right place it's fine, but even when it looks like it's set in the same place (same temperature setting) it just feels as though it's on, or off, for too long.

You might ask why I move it once it's set right. I don't: but the wife does. She suffers with a lack of temperature control in her body, a bit like having a permanent fever, it's one of many different symptoms of MS. However, I'm normal (no comment) and am a little fed-up with being too cold or too hot to fit in with her malaise.

Is there a digital thermostat available which is lockable, with a password or a code number needed to change the settings?

I'd rather it was a standalone device, not interested in Hives or Nests or changing it from my phone or whatever , just a straight replacement.

Current thermostat, pic below, CH system consists of a standard boiler with a cylinder in the A/C for stored hot water. Ideally I'd be able to fit the new one myself, (it would need to be uncomplicated), but the boiler is due for a service come January so I could also get the CH guy to do it then.

Attachment:
thermostat modified.jpg
thermostat modified.jpg [ 371.87 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: New thermostat.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 am 

Useful tip?

I chose a "new fangled" digital room stat, it was great............and it ran on batteries as most do, the problem was over time I forgot about it (Who really looks at the stat every day?) and then we would wake up freezing cold because the batteries had gone flat, not so bad if you have some spare working batteries. :roll:

After a few years, it failed, so I went back to a mechanical stat, the newer ones do seem more accurate.

Another point to note, is most modern stats either run on batteries (see above) or require a 3 core and earth. I would suggest you take the cover off yours and see what cable it has, as you may have to have a battery operated one, OR run in a 3 core and earth cable.

Although it does need a 3 core and earth, you might like This one Its similar to what we have here.

This is 3 core and earth cable.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm 

The only one that I know of, not digital, is this one

Honeywell T6360B 1069 room stat with tamper proof control

Plumb Center cat no 310506

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm 

as per s-e's post need to know how many wires (cores) at the stat. chances are it'll only be live and switched live which will limit your choice unless rewired.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 pm 

someone-else wrote:
Although it does need a 3 core and earth, you might like This one Its similar to what we have here.

Can I assume that "Set Point Locking" is a tamper proof setting system?

gas4you wrote:
The only one that I know of, not digital, is this one

Honeywell T6360B 1069 room stat with tamper proof control

Plumb Center cat no 310506

That's good to know, but I'd have to assume that a tamper proof cover is not hard to overcome, and if it is, I'm not sure I'd want it. (I struggle enough getting phone covers off)!

Are there are no digital stats that are tamper proof or is it just that you don't know of any? It seems counter-intuitive that at least one manual stat is tamper proof but digital ones are not.

wine~o wrote:
as per s-e's post need to know how many wires (cores) at the stat. chances are it'll only be live and switched live which will limit your choice unless rewired.

I'll investigate removing the cover at the weekend. There's a single screw at the side, (top right), further than that I'm guessing I have to pull off the control knob to remove the cover.

Any clues?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:21 pm 

I personally haven’t seen any

www.drlgas.co.uk