DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:07 am


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:34 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Morning all,

Looking at getting IM360 1st fix gun, but my question is can I use 350 style clipped nails and the 350 gas in the new gun.

Don't seem to be able to find any info.

Thanks

Steve


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm
Posts: 749
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 180 times
Gas - no.

Nails - unsure of the question.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 1599 times
The IM350+ and IM360ci use different nails. The IM360ci uses a full head nail whereas the IM350 uses the old IM90 style clipped-head nails. The 360 nails are supposed to be cheaper (from Paslode), but they certainly aren't as widely available. That's because you don't need to buy Paslode nails for the IM90/IM350 guns - because everyone and their dog's nail guns use the same style n as the IM90 and therefore loads of alternative (cheaper) nails are available out there

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:41 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails . I opted for the im350+ lithium ion battery system as a upgrade instead of the 360 because you can get after market cheaper nails and gas for the 350 and with the 360 you have to pay paslodes hefty prices !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
D4np wrote:
Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails . I opted for the im350+ lithium ion battery system as a upgrade instead of the 360 because you can get after market cheaper nails and gas for the 350 and with the 360 you have to pay paslodes hefty prices !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


And to add to this , the gas is completely different for the 360 so you cannot use 350 gas in the 360 or vice Versa thus meaning that if you can’t use the gas then even if the clipped nails do work in the 360 you would have no gas to fire them

Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 am 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 1599 times
D4np wrote:
Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails

But the 360 won't fire 350 (or after market) nails. Pretty sure that Paslode did that, and the oddball gas, to lock competitors out of the market

D4np wrote:
D4np wrote:
Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where

Single speed or two speed? I agree that the single speed is pretty ropey. The two speed is far better - and unlike the IM350 it won't constantly overheat and jam if you are doing jobs like close-nailing flooring (where you put hundreds of nails into a sheet at 100mm centres, but over an entire floor). We had two brand new IM350 guns supplied FoC on a job two years ago where the Paslodes continually overheated after about 20 to 30 minutes constant use. The old Senco GT90CH gun, the IM90 and the DCN692 we had on the job didn't fail once

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda


Last edited by Job and Knock on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
I wasn’t aware they did a single speed ? I brought mine as soon as they came out and it has single shot and bump on it . Was it brand new when you used it ? I would imagine brand new and only nailing down on the floor it would be good - you try using the thing In a roof ! So awkward , heavy and cumbersome. Because your not allowed to clean them then they soon start playing up if they get a bit wet or dusty . I’m having the same issue with dcn660 - the best tool going for the first couple of days but then not being able to clean them really doesn’t help


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Job and Knock wrote:
D4np wrote:
D4np wrote:
Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where

Single speed or two speed? I agree that the single speed is pretty ropey. The two speed is far better - and unlike the IM350 it won't constantly overheat and jam if you are doing jobs like close-nailing flooring (where you put hundreds of nails into a sheet at 100mm centres, but over an entire floor).

Paslode jamming ? Never heard any one say that before .. I own both .. dewalt is forever jamming - not enough power unfortunately IMO. The pin would always get stuck out aswel . The only good thing about buying the dewalt was when I had it - it stopped working so I sent it back in the box with no batteries and they sent me a replacement with 2 batteries and a charger .

Also nailing at 100mm centres ?! How often would you get a job to do that ? What type of flooring were you using ?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
The motor takes a while to reach full speed so it isn’t instant like paslode . A bit like Diesel and petrol.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 1599 times
I've had a DCN692 for about 3 years now, the two speed model. They have a running in period where they don't give full power (about 1000 to 2000 nails). After that they seem to run OK, although there is a knack of getting in-sync with the thing when you are bump nailing. I don't do roofing work these days - or at least not in the rain, but I know the earlier guns didn't like ingesting dust (so you learned not to lie them down in muck). Yes I agree they are heavy, but put them side by side with an IM90 or a GT90CH and there's little difference in size. The biggest plus so far as i was concerned is that they don't use gas. You can clean them - but you mustn't oil them.

My DCN660 has been fine on softwoods and MDF - but it can't handle denser hardwoods like mahogany or sapele. TBH after 2-1/2 years I think I'd have been happier keeping my old DC618 (first generation gun) or maybe waiting for the air-over-battery guns (Ryobi/Milwaukee/Hitachi) to mature.

D4np wrote:
The motor takes a while to reach full speed so it isn’t instant like paslode . A bit like Diesel and petrol.

You should have had a Saab Turbo in the early 1980s - the lag on those was immense, but you could learn to cope with it. Some people never could. Just like the DW guns. Not to everyone's taste

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Maybe they have improved the newer guns now then ? I know they release different TYPES - mine says type 1 , maybe yours is different ? Think it says on the magazine ?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
I carry out all the maintainence on my paslode so the cleaning / servicing isn’t a issue , I use my im350 pretty much weekly or one of my lads will ( if I’m 2nd fixing) - timber framing jobs , joists flooring , roofs . Not sure what work you mainly do ? But keeping the dewalt away from dust and a bit of rain water is IMPOSSIBLE . I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out . There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out (I remember we were so excited by the potential !) and none of us still use it . We all agree it was close ‘to replacing gas’ but think that’s a way off yet .

Let’s not get confused , I’m not getting paid or anything silly by paslode ( unless anyone from paslode is interested in the idea haha) this is just from my experience as someone who uses 1st fix guns DAY-IN-DAYOUT


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am 
Offline
Old School Chippie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 1599 times
D4np wrote:
I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out.

Well I don't do timber framed house building or roofing (mainly listeds/commercial/fit-out) - so my usage tends to be a few months of intense use followed by a few months of other works when the gun doesn't get touched. Same goes for the second fix guns. I've found that the contamination issue has to do with people laying the gun down on its' side (where the ventilation holes are) in the crap rather than hanging it on the hook or sitting it on the battery. That and guys giving the gun a squirt of WD40 to lubricate it. I've field stripped quite a few of the older (1st generation) DW guns to deal with those problems. Wouldn't know about using any guns out in the rain, though, because it doesn't occur that much on commercial sites (they tend to be a bit more H&S wary than to allow you to work on a roof or cladding in the rain unless the pressure is really on), and floor nailing is a dry pursuit. In fact can only recall having to work out in the rain with a nailer maybe 5 or 6 times in as many years. The example quoted on the IM350 was very real for us - having to revert to the older IM90, etc wasn't what we wanted, however even the replacement guns were no better on the overheating front than the first pair. In the end the dealer suggested that what we needed was pneumatic guns...... All we did was go back to using our own guns rather than the firm's

D4np wrote:
There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out

That's the problem, "when they first came out" to me means that you bought the single speed DCN690. Which is the gun that everyone universally hated. I heard of there being issues with them and decided to wait a year or so. DW must have known that there were issues because a year or more after the original came out up popped the DCN692. That has turned out to be a far better tool. The DCN690 was dropped quite a while back

_________________
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda



For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : D4np
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm
Posts: 6729
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 583 times
ive got the makita gun. its alreeeet like. paslode would be better like.

i was also a tester for the original dewalt first fix gun when they came out. i had mine 6 months before they appeared and used it on a couple of roofing jobs. first one conked out and i think it was replaced. then that one stopped firing properly. it was taken and repaired by dewalt shortly before the guns were brought out but it seemed very quick that dewalt then bought out the upgraded model. maybe they learnt from the failed tester guns.

my dcn690 is permanently set to bump fire mode which seems to work better, since then it never missed a beat though it doesnt get intense use its more used for a few weeks then a few months off the same as j&k

ive not had to strip mine to clean it out. but the makita has been stripped and rebuilt several times


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Posts: 67
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Job and Knock wrote:
D4np wrote:
I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out.

Well I don't do timber framed house building or roofing (mainly listeds/commercial/fit-out) - so my usage tends to be a few months of intense use followed by a few months of other works when the gun doesn't get touched. Same goes for the second fix guns. I've found that the contamination issue has to do with people laying the gun down on its' side (where the ventilation holes are) in the crap rather than hanging it on the hook or sitting it on the battery. That and guys giving the gun a squirt of WD40 to lubricate it. I've field stripped quite a few of the older (1st generation) DW guns to deal with those problems. Wouldn't know about using any guns out in the rain, though, because it doesn't occur that much on commercial sites (they tend to be a bit more H&S wary than to allow you to work on a roof or cladding in the rain unless the pressure is really on), and floor nailing is a dry pursuit. In fact can only recall having to work out in the rain with a nailer maybe 5 or 6 times in as many years. The example quoted on the IM350 was very real for us - having to revert to the older IM90, etc wasn't what we wanted, however even the replacement guns were no better on the overheating front than the first pair. In the end the dealer suggested that what we needed was pneumatic guns...... All we did was go back to using our own guns rather than the firm's

D4np wrote:
There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out

That's the problem, "when they first came out" to me means that you bought the single speed DCN690. Which is the gun that everyone universally hated. I heard of there being issues with them and decided to wait a year or so. DW must have known that there were issues because a year or more after the original came out up popped the DCN692. That has turned out to be a far better tool. The DCN690 was dropped quite a while back


Yes mine is definitely 690 gonna have a look on the net to see what the differences are with the 692 . Like you say about storing the gun whilst not in use - I found it was awkward because you can’t lay it upside like the paslode because the anti jam switch was on top so it would fall over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO