DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:57 pm 
Old School Chippie

This morning whilst at Screwfix I happened upon the deWalt DWS773 sliding compound mitre saw which appears to have a lot going for it as an ultra portable site and DIY saw. The spec is generally quite similar to the DWS777 216mm saw with a couple of exceptions (48° left/right mitre as opposed to 50° on the heavier machine, 1300 watt motor instead of 1600/1800 watts) and the cutting capacities are almost identical but the base is somewhat smaller and DW have provided two large, removeable, handles for transport and at 11.5kg this saw really is the most portable trade rated saw I've ever come across. Could be very handy for the mobile handyman as well

Attachment:
deWalt DWS773 001 01.jpg
deWalt DWS773 001 01.jpg [ 16.44 KiB | Viewed 4464 times ]

Available in 240 volt and 110 volt (24 hour delivery only). SFX are throwing-in a free deWalt DT1953-QZ 216mm x 30mm x 40T TCT blade (the saw comes with a 30t one) until 04/09/16 if you add item 7089P to the order. Generally positive reviews on SFX apart from the one guy who expected a £200 saw to give him trench cuts and actually uses the hold down....... :roll: Read the spec, maybe, buddy?

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : big-all
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:10 am 
Pro Carpenter

good review j&k :lol: :lol:

that "guy"doesnt know his stuff then :lol: :lol:

you can only trench if the rails/rods are horizontal to the bed and the head nods :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

This is on offer at screwfix right now at £170.

Do you 2 still consider this a 'competent' tool?

Only asking as all my power tools went 'walkies' (no insurance) and I am replacing them item by item.

Was using a bosch rip saw for framing but then bought the makita 4351 jigsaw and have been using that!!! (dislike the bosch GKS190, why is the cut line hidden from view? Makes zero sense.)

So still have a few partitions to create and was going to buy the Hitachi C8FSE but if you guys consider this to be better, especially at £169.99 then I will buy it tomorrow.

Funny but this morning I was in screwfix getting some plumbing gear and looked at this saw, it looked decent to my eye. But I dont know?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 pm 
Old School Chippie

I don't know the Hitachi. I've had the DW777 for a few years now but last summer one of the agency lads had a DWS773 in use cutting recycled hardwood parquet floor blocks to length next door to where I had mt DW777. The DWS had enough power and didn't seem to be straining. DX not brilliant, but no better or worse than the DW777 (or a lot of other saws on the market). Quieter than mine, a bit smaller and not quite as heavily built, but amazingly light and compact. If my DW777 hadn't got a lot more life left in it I'd certainly have considered it, bearing in mind that this was before Festool put out the KS60..... One downside, if you need it - this is only a single bevel saw. Personally I can live with that

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : lake
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:23 pm 
Pro Carpenter

as an aside i have bought the 18v version that has an identical base but a different head
and compared to my very old 712 which has the 60% and is very accurate
its much lighter and whilst it doesnt do trenching it can do with a stepped spacer as it has a nodding head
it a cracking very accurate saw easy and light to use so assume it works and functions simmilar to the 773
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dew ... -Bare-Unit

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : lake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Excellent as always :huray:

So I picked it up this morning and right out of the box it seems to be spot on!

Checked it 90 and 45, all good. Used a trend digital angle finder, tight squeeze but managed.
Fiddly to bolt the handles on (thick fingers and no glasses didn't help, finally put on me specs and with small nose pilers got the buggers on).

It is compact and light and through this week I will see how it performs? Got quite a bit of framing to do, 4x2, so will let you know.

Thinking back, this is the first 'yellow' power tool I have ever bought!! Mainly always used Makita. But since the 'gremlins' visited all I have left of that is 3 x 3ah batts, impact, combi, vacuum and radio :angryfire: and of course the now added jigsaw recently purchased by EDF Energy for me (which feels so very much more natural than a D handle, will add to that thread once I have used the Collins Coping Foot).

Anyway, thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Posting the above made me think of the first power tool I ever bought!

It was this

and did that change things :huray: No more brace and bit

and no more of this contraption

lol, my arms felt so very much better after work

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 pm 
Pro Carpenter

just be careful if you have the saw on soft or unlevel surface the black handle at the front can be lifted :lol:
i found out to my cost when cutting very expensive cladding as a step kept appearing between the planks :lol:
the handle was lifted allowing the saw to rotate away from the positive locating notch it was only about 1 degree so was sanded out

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : lake
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

After having used it this week I can state that I am very happy with it. Good piece of kit. Made light work of the wet tan 4x2, kept its angles through the week and didn't struggle at all (new blade but still).

So thanks guys for great tool advice. :thumbright:

For this message the author lake has received gratitude : Job and Knock