DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: New Garage Build...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm in need of a a little help(I bet you've never read that before! :mrgreen: )

I have a 1930's style semi, and I have a very poorly single, detached garage at the rear, which I would like to demolish.
In its place I would love to have built a new garage with a small loft space, with a cavity, finished with nice facing bricks and clay tiled roof.

The objectives for it are; it must look good, I would love to able to stand up in the loft, be large enough so that a car plus white goods could fit in(and be able to open the door to get out of the car! :lol: )

I have dimensions of 7.3m x 3.5m with a height of 4.3m.

My issue at the moment seems to be having a low enough ceiling height downstairs so that I can aim for roughly 1.8m standing height in the loft. I am aware that I'll need planning for this, I have contacted them, and I'm hopeful that I'll get it, but I don't know if it would be pushing it to ask for any more height?

If I had the internal block work at a height of say, 2m, am I correct in thinking that I would have a wall plate on top of that, plus the joists? With regards to this arrangement how would I determine the height of the outer brick leaf? I'm only asking as I'm worrying about the height of the doors. I know that I'll need both main door and side door lower than standard, but I obviously don't want them so low that I'm ducking massively to get through! Also, what would be the minimum courses of bricks required above the lintels? Is there any way that I could have just one course??

Sorry to go on, it's really going my head in now, and I need :help:
I have asked local builders and they don't really want to help, plus I feel guilty for suggesting that it's built to look good and has nice details, everyone seems to push you towards cheap and plain, which I really don't want.

If anyone can help out I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

Tony

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: New Garage Build...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:02 pm 

Some in inspiration here https://www.thebalance.com/free-garage-plans-1357123 :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:23 pm 

Having read your post, I will endeavor to help by clearing up a couple of points you have raised:

I have dimensions of 7.3m x 3.5m with a height of 4.3m.
You need to check with your local Planning Office (or Planning Portal on-line) but I do believe thre is a maximum height that you can build a garage.

If I had the internal block work at a height of say, 2m, am I correct in thinking that I would have a wall plate on top of that, plus the joists?
It is quite normal for a Garage to be built with a single leaf of Brickwork reinforced with attached piers on the inside. A wall-plate would be bedded on top of the outer leaf and cloaked with a facia board. Rafters would be bird-mouthed into the plate and joists across and cut to the pitch of the roof.

I think it best that you take these points on board. Then perhaps some design features can be discussed.
A lot of traditional brick-work features have evolved over the years, such as decorative panels such as 'Herring-bone@ and 'Basket weave or top of wall details such as 'Stepped' or 'dental. Google 'Brick details' or some of the others I mention, then as stated we could consider them.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks guys for the help.

I had a good look at the website, some good bits of information in there.